Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you having trouble keeping your pumpkin patches alive? This is my third year planting a patch and i have never had trouble growing them but this year almost all are withered away. In Tennessee we plant them the first week in June and by Halloween they are ready. This year started off normal but the last month they have not progressed at all and are drying up. I have started watering them, something i have never had to do, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
Do you use any pesticides? Plenty of bugs will ruin them & ruin them practically overnight. Squash bugs, cucumber beetles, etc. will not stop unless you dump some sort of chemical on them. There's natural ways but they're labor & time intensive so I suggest Sevin instead.

Check your local extension office to see what bugs you have & what you can do to rid yourself of them.

Looks like...here's a link for Tennessee.
https://extension.tennessee.edu/Pages/Office-Locations.aspx

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The leaves of my one and only pumpkin is dying off near the original stalk- but the vines have spread to over 40' in and the vines are looking great. I've got one cantaloupe sized pumpkin and four more female flowers with walnut sized fruit. Not seeing any bugs or obvious mildew. Since the vines keep rooting, I am wondering if the plant can survive and fruit without a main stalk. Seems possible since the center of the plant looks pretty dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts