Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! :)

I'm attempting to build my first Pumpkinrot Scarecrow, based on Stolloween's papier maché technique for the pumpkin head and on Johnny's Appleseed's for the "body"...

My question is: how do you attach the head to the "body"? I'm still not sure if I will use PVC or wood for the body... It will depend on which one is cheaper... ;)

Thanks!

(PS Here's what it looks like so far, with 4 layers on.... still have lots of work to do, but I'm pretty proud of my work as of now.... This is my first papier maché EVER!)

·
Registered
196 Posts
NICE JOB!!! as far as making a stand....I would us wood...depending where you live it can sometimes be for free...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love the Pumpkin head so far it looks great. I am looking into doing a Pumpkinrot scarecrow myself and I think the wood makes the look so I would use wood for the body. Im just wondering what he made the head/mask for Johnnie Appleseed out of? I just got back from going up north (I live in Phoenix) to pick up some branches to make mine out of. I would love to see a how to on the head of that scarecrow.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice work Wicked! It's so much fun making something that looks great with almost no money...paper mache is my best friend this year :) I'm half way through making one and I started out with a pvc body with a 4-way tee near the neck area to give it arms and a body. My pvc went all the way to the top and ends in a pvc cap which has an eye bolt sticking out of it for easy hanging. I personally like the pvc for the framework but wood works just as well IMO. I've had to cut holes in my paper mache already to get something added or changed in my pumpkin so don't worry about changing it as you go. Actually now that I think of it I had to cut off the entire head and start over because the head was way oversized. I used lots of duct tape and paper mache to secure the new head to the body.

I found a paper that's sold at home depot, lowes, menards and paint stores that works great for me especially around curves and angles. It's a very thin brown paper in 60 yard rolls in the paint department that comes in 3, 6, 9, and 12" widths for about $2 for the 9" roll. The reason I like it is that it will wrinkles around the curves tightly and leaves very small ridges over the last layer that stay put. I don't use it for every layer but alternate it with newspaper. And with an alternating white and brown layer it's easy for me to keep track of where I left off.

Good luck with the pumpkin and keep the pics coming :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Salut Wicked

Trust this year's plans are going well.

I have a thick dowel running up the center of the head where it is held in place with one screw straight down through the top of the head into the end of the dowel.

This way, it is simply a matter of slipping the dowel down into the PVC neck for set-up. You can hold the dowel in place by puttting one screw through the PVC tubing.

Cheers,

JD

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your comments! I will use wood for the frame as I just found out that my neighbour as some "left overs" from the patio she just remodeled..... Gotta love your neighbours! ;)

JD - thanks for the dowel tip (though I must admit I Googled "dowel" as I had no idea of what it was.... thanks for the vocabulary lesson! ;) )

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there!

Just thought I'd show you my progress.... I haven't work on it for two days - yesterday I let him dry and today.... well it was too nice outside, so we decided to take our motorcycles for a run :p Tomorrow, if all goes well, I will start painting it.... Can't wait to see how he turns out! :D

(PS don't mind the big white PVC pipe.... it was just there to help him dry...)

·
Registered
306 Posts
My attempt at a pumpkinrot head

I made this last year for my neighbors pumpkin patch. The first picture is before I finished painting it and the next pic is my daughter playing around. It gives a pretty good scale of the head. I mounted the head to a wooden 2x4 with screws. The actual scarecrown stood over 10 feet tall. I'll post the pics when I find the photos on my other computer.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your nice comments! I'm pretty happy with it, since it is my first papier maché ever.... I'm off to painting it now.... Wish me luck! ;)

Candyella - Yes, the ride was wonderful, thanks for asking!

ReaperRick - The pics look great.... a bit small though, I would love to see some bigger ones...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK here's another update.... This is "my man" :)p) with 2 coats of orange and 2 coats of green-greyish for the stem (I forgot the eyebrows when applying the first coat :eek: )

I still have to add some details, maybe with an airbrush, and to add some shadows and depth to it, but I think it will look good in the end....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good evening friends!

Here's an update on our pumpkinrot... We just need to waterproof it and dress it up, and it will be all done!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That looks great! I also like the paint job and the way you did the stem/vine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts