Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, strange question I know but, I am just starting to build 2 Pumpkinrot style scarecrows and I have seen on allot of these that they are wearing an old duster style jacket. This looks so perfect for these and I was wondering if anyone knows where on earth they are getting them from? Im thinking maybe the Goodwill or Salvation army? If anyone has any insight into this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help over the last few weeks, and im blaming all of you people for making me COMPLETELY over hall my first yard haunt I did last year and do the whole thing different. WAY WAY TO MUCH INSPIRATION ON HERE!!!! You guys are to good. audible

·
Registered
114 Posts
Something different

We bought old navy coats, buried them in the back for almost 90 days. When we dug them up they looked dead, ratty, some tears, mold growing on them, and they smelled REALLY bad. They were perfect!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, since you don't have 90 days, you might want to do a few things. You can distress the clothing by rubbing them in places with a big rock, sandpaper, etc. I used an electric sander one year on my daughters jacket I got at a thrift store to make it look well worn. Then you apply dirt, wrinkle it, leave it out in the rain etc.

Oh...if you have dogs, let them sleep on it until Halloween. That'll get it smelling good too! :p

And yes, I'd look in Thrift stores, Ebay, or even put an ad in Craigslist.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
If you have a stapler, you can make one with any cheap dark cloth.

If you lay a long coat out on the floor, you will see it is basically a big letter T with an opening in front.

If you get about 4 yards of 60 inch wide material, fold it in half and cut the T out, then cut a slit up the front, you will have a long coat, sleeves included.
All you have to do then is staple the sides and the underside of the sleeves shut, turn it inside out and put it on the scarecrow.

Or start distressing it, ripping it, painting it, whatever...

·
Registered
449 Posts
We have a great, simple way to distress clothing that's just looking a little too nice and clean. Take a cheap spray bottle, add water, then add craft paint to get the color you want. Mix colors freely - I like to stock up when Michaels or Joann's has them on sale at 2 for $1. You'll want the mixture to be thin so it can spray freely. Then just go at it! This works equally well on cloth and wood, and with a little practice, you'll know just what to mix to get the effect you want.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I neat trick is to turn an old metal meat cleaver into a 'stamp'. Use a thinned out acrylic or latex paint. Leaves a great rough, decrepit pattern. It'll look like burlap, without the itchy texture.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I neat trick is to turn an old metal meat cleaver into a 'stamp'. Use a thinned out acrylic or latex paint. Leaves a great rough, decrepit pattern. It'll look like burlap, without the itchy texture.
Can you elaborate? I don't quite understand the technique. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts