Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pumpkinrot attempt..HELP!!

Ok everyone, I am tring to make my first prop so go easy on me... This is what I have so far for my free standing pumpkinrot. I do have the head that is done in paper mache, it's still dring and I still need to make the hands. I need some advice on what I should cover the body with. Should it be paper mache too or do all you pros have another segestion that you might be so kind as to pass on to me. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey your pic isnt working, at least not for me. I am using a Mac so it may be that but you may want to try and upload another pic. It may be me but just in case.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Another site that offers great details on corpsing and cheap alternatives, word for word and photos, SpookyBlue. Really nice guy too. He will answer your e-mails! He gets a little busy at this time of year. Check out his Props and how to page.

·
Registered
340 Posts
that looks awesome! Good work on the limbs, he already looks scary.
I agree with TheEvilQueen and check out spookyblue.com I used their ideas for my scarecrow this year and went with pape mache.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some updated pics where I have added some more wood strips to try and give it some shape before I cover it. I included a side shot to show the feet plus a pic with my friend son that is 6' 1" to show the size of it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This thing looks like its going to be terrifying when its done. Nice job. Keep the pics coming i cant wait to see it when its finished.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree spooky blue is a wonderful site and they do respond to questions. First attempt don't get discouraged doing is the only way you will learn and the more you do the better you will get at it.
I am working on this same prop and I took spooky blues advice and it is really coming along.
Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm personally a big fan of 1/2 inch outdoor upholstery foam. Easy to sculpt, whip stitch and spray glue (3M Super 77) into place. Cover the foam with muslin/ burlap strips; painting on a mixture of Kilz water based exterior primer and Elmer's White Glue (1/3 gallon primer to 1/3 gallon Glue, thinned with Distilled water as necessary). It's the same concept as paper mache', only you're replacing with stronger materials. Save yourself time and get a good water-based universal tint to add to your glue-primer paint. You can then go back with exterior latex paints and add details, etc. Word to the wise: Get a large and reliable drop cloth for this technique.

I must say, the photos you've posted so far are very impressive! I especially love the details to how the pumpkinrot creature would balance it's own weight- already it feels organic and alive! Can't wait to see it when it's 'fleshed out'. Kudos to the genius use of basketry materials! Keep us posted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts