Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
:eek: That's kind of funny. but i'm sorry it attacked your pumpkin!!! I've never had that problem and there are squirrels all over our yard... You must have Christmas loving squirrels...

·
Registered
35 Posts
haha, yep been there!

Dang squirrels!

They dig little holes all over my yard too to bury the chunks of pumpkin they nab!

lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
My kids whine every year that they can't carve real pumpkins (only Funkins here!)---they are too young to remember the Halloween that every raccoon in the county came for a pumpkin feast. Smelly mess!:mad:

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
I never had a problem with animals eating my pumpkins up until 2 years ago. I literally spend hours working on 8-10 jack o lanterns for my yard and now find the top caved in half the time, eyes chewed out so 2 eyes become 1 gigantic cyclops pumpkin eye, nose REALLY big, etc. So frustrating. Pumpkins in the fall...light strings in the summer..grrr

Someone did tell me sprinkling cayenne pepper around will deter them. It seemed to work for a while around my light strings (note the word a WHILE...:mad:)

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
LMAO!!

Which do you think would cause the squirrel to speed-wobble faster?? Boozy pumpkins or the squirrel slingshot?? :p

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Squirrels get my jacks every year too. I carve some nice ones too. But I carve them the day before halloween so they're fresh. I put them out halloween night and the following days, they get them. I don't mind at all. I even put them out in the yard so they can feast. I prefer that to throwing the whole thing out. At least it doesn't go to waste. I make a couple of jacks- one for outside and one or two for inside. The squirrels get them all in the end. They have tough winters to get through and this gives them a hell of a good start. It's also entertaining to watch how they gobble them down!

Dan

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
I think its good to give the squirrels a good pumpkin feast just before winter too...just not before Halloween. ;) They actually love the pumpkin guts too...they go right to town on the seeds.

I usually don't put all my pumpkins out together because it takes me the last 3-4 days before Halloween to get all the pumpkins carved for Halloween and at that time of the year we usually have the heat in the house on and then we'd end up with the fermented pumpkins that were discussed earlier. ;) I could always carve them and put them in the shed for the days prior, that way they will stay nice and cool and uneaten until after the Holiday. :p

·
Registered
574 Posts
Those squirrel stories are funny. Hope the one that got launched didn't get hurt. I have to ask, did the drunk squirrel come back the next day for another dose?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could always try this.....:p:eek::p
I am a wildlife rehabilitator, and I come to this forum because I love the holiday, -- not to see videos of animal cruelty. I know that crap is out there, and I don't seek it out.

If people only realized that squirrels are smarter than most dogs there would be a major uproar over these clips. Replace the squirrel with a puppy and you can understand my anger. What's the difference? Fundamentally, one is domesticated and one is not. They are both small animals.

Animal cruelty has no place anywhere, let alone a holiday forum.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am a wildlife rehabilitator, and I come to this forum because I love the holiday, -- not to see videos of animal cruelty. I know that crap is out there, and I don't seek it out.

If people only realized that squirrels are smarter than most dogs there would be a major uproar over these clips. Replace the squirrel with a puppy and you can understand my anger. What's the difference? Fundamentally, one is domesticated and one is not. They are both small animals.

Animal cruelty has no place anywhere, let alone a holiday forum.
I understand what you are say, but no one made you click on the video. Also, squirrels carry a few more diseases than the average dog.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm an animal lover, too. I would suggest putting the pumpkin guts close to the trees where the squirrels can get to them easily. They will eat those before coming up to your door to eat your pumpkins. I used to leave pumpkins out every year and have always been more afraid of human vandals than of animals. :)

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
Its funny to look at my jacks in my past couple years of Halloween's pictures. You can see where the squirrels had eaten away at the faces. One year a squirrel totally annihiliated my jack o lanterns face so much that it was basically unsalvageabe so I turned the pumpkin around and carved a face on the back and took a toy pistol and put it in the pumpkins mouth and spread all the pumpkin innards all around the backside of the pumpkin with some theatrical blood...ta daa...my suicidal pumpkin was born...lol :D

And yes, the squirrels were very happy with all the food the next day :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts