Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Carving pumpkins are not really optimal for pies. You're supposed to use a sugar pumpkin, often sold as "pie" pumpkin. They're smaller and the flesh is much thicker. I like to use them to carve with because I like making lots of small pumpkins.

Canned pumpkin is often made from a type of butternut squash since it yields more per gourd.

I made this one a few years ago with a pie pumpkin. The effort to cook the pumpkin first was not worth it. Having the power go out the night before Thanksgiving did not improve my mood either:

http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php

The crust recipe they provide was quite easy to use, at least!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,476 Posts
After reading that recipe I now remember why I've never made one from scratch!

·
Registered
302 Posts
its a family tradition for us....kids are grown now ,but still come home to moms homemade pumpkin pies!!!! :D

they are a LOT of work for sure! BUT... the efforts put into them are worth the thanx and love i get back from my kids! :D..... i have tried canned pumpkin many many yrs. ago and they wouldnt hardly eat it . but i then started making them with a real pumpkin and its a MUST for me to continue doing so every yr. never any leftovers lol.

ive used regular pumpkins and sugar baby pumpkins traditionally used for pies, but our favorite is the Kentucky pumpkin...its a real pale color (almost pinkish color) and is long in shape. its very sweet and great to use, but they are very hard to find these days :(( and cushaws (white with green stripes) are also good to use for pies too.

its a Must to buy many extras to make lots n lots of pumpkin pure' to keep in the freezer for more pies later and muffins and pancakes as well :D btw the pies keep in the freezer really well! just thaw and eat or can put back in oven with the edges of crust covered w/foil so it doesnt burn.

cooking methods...
ive peeled and boiled them.....steamed them....baked them.....but i alway go back to the hardest one for the best results! PEEL & BOIL comes out the smoothes and creamiest.

recipe for deep dish pumpkin pie.....

2 cps pumpkin pure'
2 eggs
3/4 cp sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 2/3 cp. of evaporated milk

bake at 425 for 15 minutes and then turn oven down to 350 for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts