Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at planting my own pumpkin patch this year (and haunting it on the big night as part of the show) so a question for those of you out there who have already grown your own.. what variety works best and when did you plant to have them ready for October?

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
Ooo.

That's something of a loaded question, that I imagine (especially the 'what time' part) is area specific.

Back in my days working on the farm, Pumpkins were planted in mid-may. Among the last things to be planted. And, they we seeded them every year, so I couldn't say what specific variety they were, but were similar to the type you see in the stores for Halloween.

I will warn that pumpkins are VERY water demanding. The vines can get HUGE. Something to keep in mind before planting.

And, the fewer fruits, the larger they tend to be.

My uncle raises an interesting variety, but again, he's been seeding his own for 20+ years. Don't even know if there's a 'variety' in the store similar anymore. They are a joy to clean, very few guts, and aweful big, but they have thick walls that don't take the fancy pumpkinmasters style designs too well. And the seeds are no good for roasting. Bleh.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This might help

Hi Darius,

a month or so ago, i was reading some old threads here, and came across a good pumpkin patch thread found here: http://www.halloweenforum.com/request-tuturials-go-here/67752-grow-own-pumkins.html

there was some good information in this thread, which might help you out. There are a ton of posts, and updates and stuff on patch that others have grown. Although a bit old, this may help you out :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
A "Haunted Pumpkin Patch". GENIUS!!!

Good Luck with that, it sounds awesome. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is great. Was thinking about doing the same thing myself. I would imagine the cost of growing your own pumpkins would be alot cheaper than paying for them? Like if you wanted to carve a dozen or so pumpkins for your display?

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I plant mine in May. Make sure you space them out a lot, the vines tend to get very aggressive. I always end up with a ton, the year before last we had about 30, but if you want larger pumpkins cut the starts so you only have two or three on a vine, but the trade off is you will have less pumpkins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts