Halloween Forum banner

621 - 640 of 677 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
When I posted, I hadn't seen your post yet, WK. I wasn't dismissing your answer by asking whether anyone in the PNW had ideas! Good pollination information!

Greenwick - Planting seeds saved from local pumpkins could be your issue. Hybrid pumpkins can produce sterile seeds or seeds for very non-productive plants. You and your roommate could take seeds from the same pumpkin and get entirely different plants out of them. Even cross-pollinated non-hybrids-- same species but with different forms -- can give you a very wide variety of offspring. You might just have inferior seeds that grew into less productive plants. But you still have some time if you can find some female flowers! Best of luck!
Lol, I know, ooojen.

Yes, I agree with the whole saved seeds thing. Many people don't realize, that if a pumpkin flower is pollinated with another flower's pollen from the same family type, that that pumpkin will grow fine, but it's seeds will grow a plant that is a hybrid of whatever the other pollen was and the original plant. Cross pollination affects what that pumpkin's seeds will do. Sometimes, if you plant seeds from a pumpkin that was set by cross pollination, you could get something cool, like a pumpkin with a different shape or color...or some pumpkin/squash hybrid...but like ooojen said, it could also be a bad match of the two original plants that will give you a not so healthy new plant from the seeds.

The only way you can be safe to reuse seeds and get the same pumpkin growing from them, is if you have made sure no cross pollination could have happened by growing a far distance from other seed family plants (so insects/bees can't bring over other pollen), covering before and after hand pollination, making sure only you, and no insects are pollinating, ect., for absolutely sure. Otherwise, there is always a risk for cross pollination and pumpkins that will have hybrid seeds.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Yep, you have to control where the pollen comes from, as mentioned above, and you also have to be sure the pumpkin plant you're dealing with isn't already a hybrid itself (like First Prize, Aladdin, Prizewinner, Mischeif, Gladiator, Hijinks, etc.)

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
I harvested this last week...off of my sad, dying potted vine...but just got around to grabbing a pic of it.
My very first, tiny, perfect little Wee Be Little. :D

20150830_191458 (542x600).jpg

That vine may have only given me one pumpkin, but it sure is an adorable little pumpkin!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Well, I now know why my Wee Be Little vine won't set anymore pumpkins...I was correct, I have a severe insect infestation...squash bugs, to be exact. I went outside and did a thorough search and found zillions of them...babies, young ones and adults. I have never seen this before in my life. I am pretty sure controlling them is now out of the question, and since it's already September tomorrow, I may just harvest the three pumpkins on the vine and remove the entire plant. (Although, I have no idea how I will remove the plant without getting covered in bugs...sigh.) I have had so much going on, that I hadn't had time to really check out the vine. Now I know...

Grrrrrrr!! :mad:

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
So, my first attempt ever at growing pumpkins(and corn) yielded mixed results. Lots of mistakes made; overcrowding,
planting the corn/pumpkins in the reverse space in the garden, severe drought conditions...BUT, I DID get 28 pumpkins:D
Only a few that are carve-worthy~the rest will be added ambiance. The Big Moons turned out looking like WitchyKitty's WBL's~
a far cry from their lauded 'up to 200lbs'!
Lots of corn on the plants..waited to pick as per suggested...shucked those babies in anticipation of sweet corn heaven....
got about 12 kernels all totaled:eek: Ha, clearly no pollination. Another rooking planting placement mistake, which will
be reconciled next year.
It was fun, (sometimes agonizing) and a good learning experience. Thanks to everybody for sharing their expertise:Dlooking forward to 2016!
punkineater out...;)
2015-08-31 10.22.32.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
I harvested 5 of my 10 pumpkins over the weekend. They had no change in growth but were turning orange nicely. I did the fingernail test and those were ready to pull. I've got 5 more I'm waiting to turn and hopefully will get a little larger. Nothing carve worthy, but they'll look great when I set up my outdoor display in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That's a shame, WitchyKitty! I found a hatch of squash bugs on one of my gourds, yesterday but I'm entirely heartless when it comes to such vermin (well, not actually entirely heartless, I guess. I prefer their deaths be quick and merciful...when every last freaking one of them DIES!) I dispatched them before they got to grow up and make more. It was just lucky chance that I saw them; they'd have been very easy to miss!

Punkineater-- Nice haul, all those pumpkins! Too bad about the corn. Yep, placement matters, but you've apparently got that handled for next time. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the pumpkins as Halloween decor!

Fanboy-- I hope you'll share pictures of your display, too!

My vines are winding down a little, too, with more yellowing old leaves lately than new young green ones coming to replace them. This week is warmer than last, though, so they'll probably hold their own for a while. I haven't picked any yet because the vines and stems are still going strong. The longer they stay on viable vines, the longer they're likely to keep.
The gourds are still putting out lots of flowers (hummingbirds have found them!) but I don't think there's time for any more to mature and harden at this point.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
I harvested the three WBLs on the vine, but I haven't removed the vine, yet. I am going to see if I can slow down the bugs and give the two that were just pollinated a chance to set. If they don't set, I'll just give up and remove the vine. I cut off a bunch of leaves that had bugs on them, and also sprayed the whole thing down with soapy spray and a bit of Sevin around the underneath. It's all I happened to have since I don't really like to use chemicals and I didn't want to hurt any bees. One last try, I suppose, lol.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I broke down and used Sevin on mine, too. I feel the same way, that I don't want to harm the bees, but I took off all the flowers that were nearby (they were all males anyway) so the bees wouldn't be especially interested in the area.
Good luck!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
I broke down and used Sevin on mine, too. I feel the same way, that I don't want to harm the bees, but I took off all the flowers that were nearby (they were all males anyway) so the bees wouldn't be especially interested in the area.
Good luck!
I kept it away from any flowers. Sigh. Good luck to you, too!

·
Registered
460 Posts
We finally have a female blossom. I believe we planted these late, so that could be part of what happened - but maybe we'll get lucky and ours will ripen just in time for Halloween. If they have time to grow, anyway.

Ooojen, i figured that'd be a possibility, but my husband & I decided we'd take a chance. I had assumed that sterile plants just wouldn't produce good fruit. I believe we did have some store bought seeds to grow from as well, and at any rate next year we'll be getting more.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Well, it looks like I am going to have to fight and keep trying to keep my WBL vine alive a little longer...I found two fully set and growing pumpkins!! I was totally ready to remove the plant because of the bug issues and the other females/pumpkins not setting. I'm glad I did a thorough check today, lol. They were buried in the vine a bit, so I never saw them. Now we just hope I can keep that vine alive long enough for them to grow a bit more and ripen...sigh...stupid squash bugs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am hoping to get some sizable cash to spend at the pumpkin patch i grew up going to. I want to this year make a Jack-o-lantern-in-a-box lol. Have about 5 or 6 pumpkins stacked on another in a wooden box. And the Top pumpkin having a scary clown face carved/sculpted onto it. Make it very dark carnival-esque.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'm not getting any females flowers at all, I have tones of males, Is that normal?
My experience in my climate, with the varieties I've planted--- is that I usually get female flowers a few days after the male flowers start (maybe 5 days? -- Sometimes other factors affect that.) The mysterious "they" say to expect females about a week to two weeks after the male flowers start appearing.
It is normal to get a lot more male flowers than female, and it's normal for the female flowers to be a little less noticeable because they're often closer to the ground and sometimes shielded by leaves.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I've been busy doing away-from-home things the last few days, and didn't check on my pumpkins. It seems the return to warm weather has brought them back into action. These are plants that haven't produced anything new for a month. There are at least a couple of the minis that have new little fruits behind withered blossoms, and I saw three new female flowers open today. Since they're small ones, they have a good chance of ripening if the beetles don't take them out. I dusted the little fruits with Sevin, and I hope no wayward bees decide to land nearby.
More happy news for the day-- I had thought only two pumpkin vines had survived the Mad Mower, a Red Warty Thing and a One Too Many. Today I discovered a Peanut hanging on the fence! (I knew the fruit was there, but assumed it was a OTM as they look very similar until they near maturity.) It's only one fruit, and it's not the peanuttiest yet (there's still time) but I was thrilled silly to discover I hadn't lost all of that variety. Though I did lose quite a number of individual plants, Jarrahdale is the only variety I completely lost from the mown-off patch, then. Could have been worse.

Our family went to the Great Minnesota Get-Together (the State Fair) yesterday, and while the others stood looking less enthusiastic, I snapped a couple quick pictures in the vegetable wing of the Horticulture building. To be clear, none of these are mine.
The Champion for largest pumpkin (and there may well be some heavier ones in the state later in the season) was this specimen at 1,473 pounds:

20150903_161943[1].jpg

Some more big squashed-looking entrants:

20150903_161933[1].jpg

A goal for next year, this is the range I'd like to achieve --the 100 pounders. I could shift them around myself (a short distance, anyway) and they don't get all flattened. Big, but manageable and still pretty:

20150903_162016[1].jpg

20150903_162134[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
One of my re-plant pumpkins finally had a female flower open today! Here's hoping we have several more weeks before the first frost!
I took the camera out to the 2 growing areas yesterday and took some updated pictures. I tucked a standard-sized pen in most of the pictures, to give some size perspective.
Yep, the vines have expanded into crabgrass territory and into the alfalfa field. I'm not even going to try weeding their entire spread!
I don't know what this first one is, but I like it. It's somewhat similar to "Orange Cutie" but larger and smoother-skinned.

DSC04848.jpg

I'm not certain, but there's a probable explanation for this next one. I planted "Batwing" which growers have said is quite a variable variety, both for color and for size. This could easily be an all-orange version. Batwing didn't live up to my expectations, but fortunately didn't take up a lot of space. This really isn't a bad little pumpkin, but plain orange pumpkins are readily available and generally quite cheap here. My intent was to grow more unusual shapes, colors, or sizes and then buy a few conventional ones for filler.

DSC04855.jpg

The real "Orange Cutie". These haven't changed much since the last time I photographed them, but they've gotten a bit more intense in color. I messed up the perspective consistency by putting the pen under the fruit instead of across the stem. The pumpkin is a little smaller than that would suggest.

DSC04850.jpg

The fruit lower right might be closer to typical for "Batwing" but it's not something they'd be apt to use for a promo photo! I had to root out one of the BW vines early because it was virally infected. I may have gotten sub-par seed for that variety.

DSC04851.jpg

Weeeee One, which is putting out lots of new female flowers now. If I can keep them from getting eaten up by beetles, there's a chance the fruits could mature. I have several fruits, anyway, so it's all good.

DSC04856.jpg

621 - 640 of 677 Posts