Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 677 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, I know, it's barely February. But, it's time to start buying seeds, people!

We are trying for a 3 sisters garden one last time this year. After our Neon pumpkins last year failed to keep away whatever was eating on the corn due to the lack of prickles on the vines, we are trying something new again this year.

Hijinks pumpkins.

Two things make 'Hijinks' a welcome addition to the pumpkin patch: high yields and resistance to powdery mildew. I haven't tried it yet, but mildew resistance is a definite plus. Pumpkins need a long season and you can't afford to have the vines give out before the fruits are ready.

'Hijinks' is a small pumpkin, weighing in at about 6–7 pounds. However it has the usual sprawling pumpkin vine. The press release says it has a strong stem that doesn't easily break off when used as a handle (and when isn't it?). There are pronounced grooves around the otherwise smooth surface, which kind of add a bit more decorative quality to the orbs.
Mildew resistance is HUGE for me. Nice basketball size, not huge, good numbers, strong stems, pretty much everything I'm looking for, hopefully prickly vines to keep out critters too. We're also going proper 3 sisters mounds this year to help with that as well.

I'm also very pleased I'm able to get the King Kool corn again this year. We had to do without last year due to finances, and weren't too happy with what little of the corn didn't get eaten by critters.

On the mini pumpkin front, we're getting a pumpkin mix that has both JBLs and Baby Boos and Baby Wrinkles, and have once again saved some of my mystery pumpkin seeds just to see what they turn into this year. Also trying some birdhouse gourds.

·
Monster Collector
3,388 Posts
I saw seeds already at one of the local stores. I have to do some major reworking of the patch this year to deter the "pest" problems that erupted on my last season.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
Yay!! Pumpkin Patch thread! Lol, I have been waiting for someone to start this thread. I am itching to talk pumpkins!

So, I normally grow my JBL's each year, due to not having much sunny space in my yard...mostly shade. I grow them in large containers on my patio and trellised up the side of my garage. (I'm sure you guys have seen my pics from the past couple years) I love my JBL's, and I get great yields, but this year I decided to try something different.

I like to paint some of the pumpkins I grow for taking out to the cemetery for loved ones graves, but JBL's never give me much room for painting and are quite bumpy. (I used to just buy pie pumpkins to paint, but wanted to take my own grown ones out there the past couple years.) So, I was originally going to try a Small Sugar/Pie pumpkin seed this year...though trellising would be a bit more work. I went out of town to a Farm and Fleet and found the Small Sugar seeds I was looking for, but then changed my mind when I found Wee Be Little seeds! I can never find these in my area! I grabbed a couple packets up and decided to go with those. I figured, they are still small enough to be trellised, being between the size of a JBL and a Sugar/Pie, and are rounder and less bumpy...so they will be perfect for painting! Plus, they are a semi-bush type, so the vines won't get all crazy long.

My Mother in Law always takes some of my JBL seedlings and we plant some at her house, too...when she harvests them, she likes to set them along a cement ledge on her garage for decoration. This past couple years, the squirrels in her yard stole every single one of them off the ledge, lol, one by one. She saw them do it a couple times. She is hoping the tiny bit of extra weight of the Wee Be Littles will make it more difficult for the squirrels to pick up and run off with, lol.

I am nervous to try a different type of mini pumpkin...knowing my JBLs always did so very well. I hope these Wee Be Littles will grow just as well. Have any of you ever grown them?? I can't find much info on growing them online, anywhere. From what I have been able to find, it seems they are pretty much just like growing JBL's and such, which is good, because I'm quite good at growing those. Is this true? Does anyone have any different tips for those WBLs specifically? Any info on size, vines, ect? Info on powdery mildew and other pest issues they are more prone to?

I was in heaven when I was at the Farm and Fleet...they had sooooo many different kinds of pumpkin, mini pumpkin and gourd seeds that I never can find in town here...I wanted to buy them all!!! I need a yard with more sunny space, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw seeds already at one of the local stores.
Yeah, we had one that was already sold out of some of the flower seeds Talia wanted so I had to go online. I think part of it is it FEELS like spring here locally, and people might be rushing to buy stuff.

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WitchyKitty,

That's funny I ALMOST bought Wee Be Little's this year, but the mix I found had Baby Wrinkles which are more or less the same thing only more bumpy.

I don't know a whole lot about them other than size is baseball to softball. The Pumpkemons I planted last year were semi-bush as well, and they were about the size of a big tomato plant. In fact, somewhere I think I saw a pic of Wee Be Littles in a container, with a tomato cage holding them up.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I haven't seen Baby Wrinkles before. I'll have to check those out.

Yeah, I seen baseball to softball size, as well, from around a half a pound to a pound in weight for the WBLs. From different sites I've looked them up on, it seems the Wee Be Little vines can vary from 6-8 feet in length...still decently long for a semi bush. It would have to be a big tomato cage, lol. I have no clue, though, personally, as to how big they get. I want to say my JBL's would get around 10 feet, give or take.

Maybe I should check out those Pumpkemons, too, sometime, if they are also a semi bush type. They really only got as big as a tomato plant? Hmmm...the tomato plants I've seen people grow around here aren't very big...that would be a small pumpkin plant! How big can tomato plants, get?? Lol.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
Oh, I just looked up the Pumpkemons and, though I didn't know their name, I knew what they were. I love those. I didn't know they were a semi bush type. Good to know, I may try the some year. When I look them up, it just says vining type, not semi bush. Semi bush would be great! I'll have to do more research.

I'd love to find some Baby Bear pumpkin seeds, too, sometime. Those would be perfect!! I have bought them one time at a farm, but haven't seen them since and have never found the seeds for sale around here, either. I want to try those, for sure, sometime.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
LOL Yeah, not here. It's gonna be a while before it feels like that. Not with a foot of snow outside. :rolleyes:
LOL! Same, here! 15 inches of snow just dumped on us, and they are calling for more tonight and tomorrow...sigh...Spring, and planting season, seems so very far away!

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,798 Posts
Could experienced pumpkin planters recommend their favorite online pumpkin reference sites?
I'd love to try and find the perfect pumpkin seeds to plant. Looking for the next to impossible.
2-3 medium to large carving fruit, Bush type with minimal vines creeping, able to produce in a short growing season in a partial shade garden or full sun in a planter.

Yep, our backyard landscaping doesn't lend well to a pumpkin patch.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I have a couple sites I use for planting and growing info, and there is pages with different types on those sites, but I don't think either of them have that specific info you are looking for. I do know that pumpkins need lots of sun...full sun if possible...too much shade won't work, unless there is some rare breed I haven't heard of, and if there was, I'd love to know about it because of all my shade, lol. I grow smaller pumpkins on trellises and in large planters that have a bit shorter of vines because of the whole shade issue. Larger pumpkins, I'm not sure about. I will link the two sites I use and you can peek through them if you'd like. If I come across anything that might help you, in the meantime, I'll post that if I do.

http://www.allaboutpumpkins.com/index.html

http://www.pumpkinnook.com/

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
Oh, I forgot I came across this site once...it has a list of pumpin types, sizes, vine types, ect. Maybe this will help you?

http://www.backyardgardener.com/RUPP.HTM

You could choose some off this list that you think might work, then look up each individually to get more specific info on each.

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could experienced pumpkin planters recommend their favorite online pumpkin reference sites?
I'd love to try and find the perfect pumpkin seeds to plant. Looking for the next to impossible.
2-3 medium to large carving fruit, Bush type with minimal vines creeping, able to produce in a short growing season in a partial shade garden or full sun in a planter.

Yep, our backyard landscaping doesn't lend well to a pumpkin patch.
I will say I've planted in partial shade and had no problem with any variety of pumpkin, just a little smaller fruit.

But, your other requirements scream Cheyenne Bush pumpkins, if you can find them.

Bush type, carving size, good yields, can be potted, only 80-90 days instead of the more typical 120ish on pumpkins.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I will say I've planted in partial shade and had no problem with any variety of pumpkin, just a little smaller fruit.

But, your other requirements scream Cheyenne Bush pumpkins, if you can find them.

Bush type, carving size, good yields, can be potted, only 80-90 days instead of the more typical 120ish on pumpkins.
I have been looking for those Cheyenne Bush seeds, myself!! I wasn't able to find them last year, but haven't looked this year.

I'm sure some shade would be fine...but I was just saying if they have most or all shade, it probably wouldn't work out too well. As long as they get some sunshine to grow and ripen. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been looking for those Cheyenne Bush seeds, myself!! I wasn't able to find them last year, but haven't looked this year.

I'm sure some shade would be fine...but I was just saying if they have most or all shade, it probably wouldn't work out too well. As long as they get some sunshine to grow and ripen. :)
I had a volunteer in the sidewalk on a side of my house that never gets water or sun somhow produce a fine sized pumpkin. We would just dump the melted ice from the cooler on it when we went places. After that, I say give it a shot, you just never know.

I've always wanted to try Cheyenne bush seeds as well, but they are next to impossible to locate. Here I find some but I've already bought seeds for the year...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I tried growing pumpkins for the first time last year. It was an experiment, because our yard doesn't get a lot of sun. I think I'm going to try trellising this year. WitchyKitty, do you have to net the pumpkin fruit to keep it from falling off? Or if I plant the smaller variety up a wooden trellis will they stay on? The small varieties worked best with the lack of sun in my yard. And I thought trellising might help cut down on the powdery mildew.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I had a volunteer in the sidewalk on a side of my house that never gets water or sun somhow produce a fine sized pumpkin. We would just dump the melted ice from the cooler on it when we went places. After that, I say give it a shot, you just never know.

I've always wanted to try Cheyenne bush seeds as well, but they are next to impossible to locate. Here I find some but I've already bought seeds for the year...
Huh, I wonder if I could get a pumpkin to grow in my shadier areas, then? I'll have to ponder that, lol.
I'll have to peek at that link you posted for the Cheyenne Bush seeds...

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I tried growing pumpkins for the first time last year. It was an experiment, because our yard doesn't get a lot of sun. I think I'm going to try trellising this year. WitchyKitty, do you have to net the pumpkin fruit to keep it from falling off? Or if I plant the smaller variety up a wooden trellis will they stay on? The small varieties worked best with the lack of sun in my yard. And I thought trellising might help cut down on the powdery mildew.
I grow the Jack Be Littles on a trellis...the pumpkins are fine hanging and don't need support...but I do have to train and tie up the vines to the wood trellis (and eventually, ropes off the trellis to the garage roof, because they overgrow the trellis quickly, lol.). I use thin soft, strips of that black weed block material and tie up the vines (loosely, not tight, as the vines thicken and could break) as they get taller...I also take the tendrils and help them wrap around the trellis and ropes. I am trying Wee Be littles on the trellis, this year...I should be able to do them the same way. If you choose the next size up, like a small sugar/pie variety, they can be trellised, too. Any bigger of a pumpkin, even a pie/sugar that gets too big, you may need to make soft cloth or net hammocks for each fruit, tied to the trellis.
I use ropes and a tall, wood trellis that I built. I have seen others use large opening netting and such across poles or wood beams, too, for their pumpkins to grow up. Check out the pics from past PP Threads, you can see some of our set ups, and you can see how I trellised my JBL's up my garage wall. Here are the links to the past two years:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/134630-2014-pumpkin-patch-thread.html?highlight=Pumpkin+Patch+Thread
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/126314-2013-pumpkin-patch-thread.html?highlight=Pumpkin+Patch+Thread

I still got some Powdery Mildew with the trellising, but that's because of my weather and the fact that my trellis is against a wall. If you can make a trellis or netting set up for them to climb up in the middle of an area, rather than up against something, it would give much more air flow.

Here are a couple pics from those two threads, of mine, to show you my wood trellis, my ropes attached since my trellis was way too short, and a close up of some of the garden material strips:

Summer squash Cucurbita Plant Flower Vegetable
Flower Plant Leaf Ivy Flowering plant
Flower Plant parlour maple Flowering plant Ivy

If you go through the two past threads, you can see many more pics. In the 2013 one, my vines got crazy long and I ended up tying them sideways along the roofline, too, lol, and along the ground of the side of the garage. 2014, as you can see, my vines are neat and orderly, as I nipped the ends when they got to the desired length to stop growing.

Online, I have also seen pumpkin wood trellises that are like a teepee/triangle shape and the vines grow up and around them to the top point. There are many kinds. Here is a link to a search for pumpkin trellises: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrB8p41edJURA8AMhijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4ODMEX3IDMgRiY2sDNTlzaXN2cGFjajRvdSUyNmIlM0Q0JTI2ZCUzREgxUG1uakJwWUVKVDI3T00zOHpFS2E4ekU5cjg2ZVd0TlVaVnZnLS0lMjZzJTNEbDklMjZpJTNEV2dwNGppNzloTG5OSm9aMmtJQVEEZnIDZnB0Yi10eWMEZ3ByaWQDNWRUbmpjbHRRb201cjV4UTNIeVlqQQRtdGVzdGlkA251bGwEbl9zdWdnAzYEb3JpZ2luA2ltYWdlcy5zZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMwBHBxc3RyAwRwcXN0cmwDBHFzdHJsAzE1BHF1ZXJ5A3B1bXBraW4gdHJlbGxpcwR0X3N0bXADMTQyMzA3OTc1MwR2dGVzdGlkA0lNR0My?gprid=5dTnjcltQom5r5xQ3HyYjA&pvid=ckUrezY5LjFU8lz.VMmTHg_oMjQuMQAAAACSAtjp&p=pumpkin+trellis&fr=&fr2=sb-top-images.search.yahoo.com&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt

1 - 20 of 677 Posts