Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since deleting the old Halloween Home Facebook page essentially destroyed nearly all the photo linking on posts I've made on here for the past two years (sorry) I'm going to repost some pics from the build of the Pumpkin King and include the current build of the new base for it all as one project. I'm keeping the Pumpkin King build short so if you want to see those pics head over to my haunt's facebook page.

Built my pumpkin king for last year using a combination of techniques. Pumpkin corpsing with latex and stretch webbing over a funkin for the head. The body corpsing was done with latex and shop towels over a pose-n-stay torso with the arms, legs, and head removed. Arms were made from PVC pipe, masking tape, some wire, sticks, and latex/shop towel corpsing. Guts are freaky fabric saturated with latex and clay seeds.

Basic framework



Torso and head corpsing done




Arms



Assembled and painted



Guts (after much experimenting)



On display last year. You can see how sparse and somehow unfinished it looks around the base. That is the reason for phase 2 of this project.

 

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Jack Crowe" our pumpkin king looked GREAT last year but I was not happy with the scattering of pumpkins around the post. It was a pretty sad looking patch and I had a time getting power run to all the pumpkins to get them lit. (Powersquid saves the day!) This year I've decided to reduce the area over the patch into a large pile directly around the base of the post. We are also relocating the pumpkin king this year to a spot where it will be viewable from all sides so this is also the perfect solution to add interest to the back of the prop.

Starting out with a plastic rope spool. This is the exact same type I used to make the rotting pumpkin treat stump. I cut the outer ring from the top, cut a large hole in the bottom center and a square hole in the top center that is just big enough for a 4x4 post to slip in. Made additional cuts in the top to create "vanes" for pumpkins will rest on. As with the pumpkin king above, more detailed information on this build can be found on our home haunt facebook page. (Link in my signature)



Lots of pumpkin corpsing to do on this as well as making vines and wiring electrical for lights. Here is where I am so far. Still need two more large funkins and several small ones to fill gaps. Also planning for some root-like structures to come out from between the big pumpkins and extend out a short distance. I'll post more pics as this progresses.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Excellent. Love the pumpkin king. I was going to do something similar only using a mask but I like yours way better. Can't wait to see it al i t up.
So are the hands made from sticks\small branches?
 

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. Love the pumpkin king. I was going to do something similar only using a mask but I like yours way better. Can't wait to see it al i t up.
So are the hands made from sticks\small branches?
The arms themselves are warped pvc wrapped in tape and string, then corpsed with latex and shop towel. The hands were made with two triple forked branches for the palms. The fingers are welding wire covered with tape and corpsed to match.

 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Absolutely love all the work that you've put into your creation. The pumpkin seed entrails had us laughing out loud. (And yet he remains singularly creepy. For us that's the perfect combination.) Thanks for posting your progress. It really has become an amazing work of art.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I SO want to commission you to make all my props, haha. Just incredibly talented. :)

I could design you a website in trade! (That's my expertise, lol).

But in all seriousness, your work is inspiring. Keep posting pictures please!
 

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
The arms themselves are warped pvc wrapped in tape and string, then corpsed with latex and shop towel. The hands were made with two triple forked branches and the palms were wire fingers covered with tape and corpsed to match.


:D.....those hands...those hands......I just love those hands.....:D
 

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little more progress. Got the upper lights installed last night and today I corpsed the spool with black bags. Next step is going to be painting the corpsing. I think I'm going to paint it the same color as the stems. I didn't want to run my wires inside the spool because I worry that the post may catch them and cause damage during assembly. My solution was to twist the two cords together and glue them that way. Once painting is finished they should just look like more random vines.

 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top