Ok slackers, while some of you have been breathing a sigh of relief that it's all over with and everything is put away I have already begun on next years props! As much as I love the scarecrow I built in 2013, my supply of free corn stalks to build the corn field with has decided not to plant the usual big garden this year so he will not fit well into my graveyard theme anymore as he is so I have decided to replace him with a Pumpkin King style scarecrow with a twist. A few years back I mase a pumpkin king using my full sized skelly and replacing the head with a funkin. Looked pretty good but wasn't really all that impressive so I took it apart and never looked back. After looking at Anthony Woodle's Scarecrow Corpse project the inspiration hit for a similar style for the new Pumpkin King. So far I've gotten the torso corpsed and painted and the head carved. I've still got to corpse the head, possibly some of the arms, build some longer fingers that will dangle down, and make a cross post to mount him on. I think I'm going to go with either 4x4s or landscape timbers for this post. I may even pour a hidden semi-permanent footing for the post under where the birdbath sets in our flowerbed so I can just drop it into place every year and won't have to worry about anchoring it.
The basic parts I started with. A large funkin and a torn apart pose n stay.
Face carved. Orange light in it for now, but there will be a green one when it's done.
Going to use these arms from the old scarecrow, but extend the fingers and possibly do a little corpsing on them.
Skelly corpsed. Used shop towels and latex to do the corpsing.
Painted corpsing. Dark green base, light green highlights, then a high gloss light oak wood stain over top.
I'm taking a lot more photos of this build than I usually do to try and do a better job of documenting it for a tutorial. More photos here - PUMPKIN KING