Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok slackers, while some of you have been breathing a sigh of relief that it's all over with and everything is put away I have already begun on next years props! As much as I love the scarecrow I built in 2013, my supply of free corn stalks to build the corn field with has decided not to plant the usual big garden this year so he will not fit well into my graveyard theme anymore as he is so I have decided to replace him with a Pumpkin King style scarecrow with a twist. A few years back I mase a pumpkin king using my full sized skelly and replacing the head with a funkin. Looked pretty good but wasn't really all that impressive so I took it apart and never looked back. After looking at Anthony Woodle's Scarecrow Corpse project the inspiration hit for a similar style for the new Pumpkin King. So far I've gotten the torso corpsed and painted and the head carved. I've still got to corpse the head, possibly some of the arms, build some longer fingers that will dangle down, and make a cross post to mount him on. I think I'm going to go with either 4x4s or landscape timbers for this post. I may even pour a hidden semi-permanent footing for the post under where the birdbath sets in our flowerbed so I can just drop it into place every year and won't have to worry about anchoring it.

The basic parts I started with. A large funkin and a torn apart pose n stay.

Face carved. Orange light in it for now, but there will be a green one when it's done.

Going to use these arms from the old scarecrow, but extend the fingers and possibly do a little corpsing on them.

Skelly corpsed. Used shop towels and latex to do the corpsing.

Painted corpsing. Dark green base, light green highlights, then a high gloss light oak wood stain over top.

I'm taking a lot more photos of this build than I usually do to try and do a better job of documenting it for a tutorial. More photos here - PUMPKIN KING

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gah! The corpsing looks so realistic and gross! :D So far he is looking superb! Can't wait to see the finished Pumpkin King.
I really love how it came out. I learned a lot about painting corpsed texture from the plastic wrapped style skeleton I did last year. I wanted this one to be a more greenish, plant-like color so I did my base colors in greens before applying the oak stain. It gave it an awesome transparency and the gloss makes it so wet and goey looking! Working on the head now. Going to use a different corpsing method (bagged web and latex) and paint it in oranges and yellows before applying the stain.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nightfisher~love him! I have a few questions about your pumpkin king...
First, will the head be permanently affixed to the spine-if so, how?
Second, your 'old' scarecrow arms-what are they made of and are they rigid in their pose?
The head will be glued on with Gorilla glue once finished. Right now I've cut a hole just big enough for the nub on the spine that the skull used to attach to fits into tightly. I can stick it on there and it stays ok, but easily pulls off. Plan is to use a brush to apply the glue through the mouth hole to permanantly secure it.

The old scarecrow arms are made from branches off a Crepe Myrtyl tree I cut down in our yard a few years ago. There are big staples hammered into the ends of the branches and zip ties connecting them at the joints. They are poseable, but won't hold a pose. (Floppy) The hands are just some branches I found with a triple fork in them. I'm still debating on the finger extensions I plan on adding. Making them from wood would better match and look natural, but on the other hand if I make them from latex and towel I can make them creepier and more skeletal looking, as well as put a wire inside to make them poseable, but they would not match the rest of the branch very well. Decisions decisions.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outdoor temps for the past couple of days have been in the 50s and down to freezing at night so the stain has been slow to dry on this guy. Checked it after getting home from work tonight and after 24 hours it's still tacky, but not wet and the stain smell has dissapated a lot. Brought it in to the warm house to finish drying. I'm really pleased with the finish. The green has come back a bit more now and the oak stain has settled into the wrinkles and creases. Looks really wet and gross with the gloss finish.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've changed my mind on using the entire stick arms from the old scarecrow and will instead use only the hands. I think the arms are just too thick to match up well with the torso. Going to make new arms out of pvc pipe. Should be thinner, look way creepier and I wont have to worry about rot. Taking a break from what I consider the boring part, corpsing the head, to make my armature for the hands. I used the triple forked stick hands from the original scarecrow, added stiff wire to extend the fingers and sculpted a basic shape in masking tape. The fingers are very stiff, but still poseable. I wanted to have the look of big, gangly, scary talons like the monster in thePumpkinhead movie has, or another good example would be Violator from the Spawn movie, but looking like vine or wood. After corpsing them the plan is to paint them in wood tones, then fade into the green of the body as the arm nears the shoulder. Hopefully my plan to use a short piece of flexible copper tubing as my joint connections will allow the entire arm to be poseable, save for the shoulder joint, which will be a floppy connection with zip ties.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have any idea of how the corpsing will hold up in the rain?
Looks fantastic but it's really wet here
I don't anticipate any problems with the latex corpsing since it's pretty much rubber once it dries. The corpsed pumpkins I did last year held up great out in the weather for 30 days. We had 3 or 4 good rains during that time and the only issues I saw were where I didn't completely saturate the paper towel I used to make the stems in one or two small places. The spots turned pale, but didn't come apart and went back to their original color once dried. Since the shop towels being used in this one are a lot stronger and thicker once corpsed they should work better. I plan on being extra vigilant as I corpse this guy and I'm trying to use materials that will either bond well with the latex, or not soak up water. Masking tape is the only thing so far that is not plastic, metal, or some other synthetic material. Even the webbing used to corpse the pumpkin won't soak up water. The old scarecrow was mostly foam, but had a lot of cloth and wood in it that got really wet and heavy in the rain. Had issues with leaning and drooping a little if we had a good soaking rain, especially with the head.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,893 Posts
Slacker checking in here, starting work for 2015? You're a man after my own heart NF, wait a minute, that comes off kind of weird but you know what I mean..great work so far, keep up the good work and I'll be damned if I don't start earlier this year too

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Arms stained, sealed, and attached! I just used a large thick zip tie threaded through a large washer to attach the arms. I had already put a zip tie into each arm at the shoulder before corpsing. LOVE how the colors came together! Now I'm back at work corpsing the head.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts