Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
My Wonderland is in Ruins
660 Posts
thanks for posting this video tutorial, they turned out really great looking. :) It definately makes me wanna go pick up a foam pumpkin to try this out.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,098 Posts
Now if we could get someone to make a fakekin with the look of a Funkin with the thickness of the Michaels fakekins!!

Funkins look soooo much more realistic but they're so thick & hard to carve, while the Michaels ones are easy to carve but don't look nearly as realistic.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,098 Posts
AC Moore is where he said he got his pumpkin & most of the supplies he used. They sell Funkins as does Joann Fabrics but I'd imagine you could do this on any fake pumpkin.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Michaels pumpkins look more like some kind of Halloween soccer ball than a pumpkin. WAY too smooth and evenly colored. As for Funkins... when you get a real pumpkin to carve it the Pumpkin Masters kits always say to thin the wall before carving. Maybe there's an easy way to thin the wall of a Funkin... maybe one of those large loop carving tools.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Couple years ago I wanted to do some corpsing. The lack of liquid latex left me without. I also heard of white glue, water and cotton for corpsing but I was under a time constraint and never had time to try that. I'm wondering if you or anyone here has tried the white glue and cotton method, and how well it worked?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Finally... something to try on one of the 40 BILLION foam pumpkins I've gotten from Micheal's after Halloween over the years. I think this will vastly improve them!

·
Registered
140 Posts
i LOVE these pumpkins :D
i've never used liquid latex yet (mostly becuase of the $) but i have done same technique using "modge podge" and it worked GREAT!

ive been buying the already carved pumpkins that light up from the thrift stores (goodwill) and will start doing this technique to them!
hmmm i'll do an experiment and use white glue and water on one and modge podge on another one and see what the difference is ( if any ) this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
where can you find these funkins and the liquid latex?
I saw some fake pumpkins at Micheal's but they where really thick foam you needed a heated knife to cut out. Are these the same things?

Thanks

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Nicely done! I have a huge plastic pumpkin that I had been papermaching, but I think I'll stop and try your technique. I already have the materials you used. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Thanx much on your post. I did my first corpsing on the weekend and I am quite pleased with the outcome. All thanx to your demo. I was lazy though I bought a pre carve plastic pumpkin from walmart. I am try to corpse zombie hands but I am getting stuck with what colors to use. I'm little challenged that way. Your feed back would be most appreciated Thanx again

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
If you're going to cover the pumpkin with "corpsin' stuff", why not use a fake pumpkin as a mold to make cheap papier mache ones to corpse?

Just cover one half of the pumpkin with papier mache at a time. Front/back, top/bottom, as long as you can pull the papier mache off when it's dry. Then do the other half. When you have the two dry halves, just stick them together with a few more strips of papier mache. Don't apply the mache too thick, or you'll lose the pumpkin shape. If you need to reinforce it or add depth to the cut out areas, that can easily be done later to the inside.
Just remember to use a release agent! A light coat of Vaseline, a thin layer of liquid dishsoap (washing up liquid) that you dry with a hair drier, or several coats of paste wax should work just fine. Watch for undercuts. If you have to make three or more pieces it'll still work.

I've been corpsin' for quite a few years now, and I'm moving towards lighter weight props lately. (Although latex, batting and a good ol' Bucky will probably always be my favorite!)

*** EDIT*** Test your release agent!!! I have discovered that the wax I have that works so well on wood, plaster, stone, latex... Doesn't work well at all with papier mache!!!***

·
Appalachian Hex Doctor
575 Posts
If you're going to cover the pumpkin with "corpsin' stuff", why not use a fake pumpkin as a mold to make cheap papier mache ones to corpse?

Just cover one half of the pumpkin with papier mache at a time. Front/back, top/bottom, as long as you can pull the papier mache off when it's dry. Then do the other half. When you have the two dry halves, just stick them together with a few more strips of papier mache. Don't apply the mache too thick, or you'll lose the pumpkin shape. If you need to reinforce it or add depth to the cut out areas, that can easily be done later to the inside.
Just remember to use a release agent! A light coat of Vaseline, a thin layer of liquid dishsoap (washing up liquid) that you dry with a hair drier, or several coats of paste wax should work just fine. Watch for undercuts. If you have to make three or more pieces it'll still work.

I've been corpsin' for quite a few years now, and I'm moving towards lighter weight props lately. (Although latex, batting and a good ol' Bucky will probably always be my favorite!)
I just got my hands on some Michaels fake pumpkins at 55% off and I am tempted to give this a shot. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts