Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Haunters!

This is probably a project for next year, but I've been thinking of adding some very simple slow pulsing lighting to help bring our Halloween display to life. I've been looking into the Light O Rama and WowLights packages, but I don't think I'm quite ready for a big light show. What I'd like to do is have the different lights slowly and subtly dim and brighten to help make it seem more alive, if that makes sense. Is there an entry level kit that you'd recommend or are LOR and WL the way to go?

Attached is our "pre-Halloween" set up from last year to give you an idea of the scope. Each of the tombstones has its own light, and there are a few on the house as well.

Purple Building Lighting Door Entertainment

·
Registered
471 Posts
Using something like LOR to just slowly change lights is overkill and a serious learning curve. Most RGB floodlights have settings that will cause them to change colors on their own - I would try something like that first.

Like this:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hello Haunters!

This is probably a project for next year, but I've been thinking of adding some very simple slow pulsing lighting to help bring our Halloween display to life. I've been looking into the Light O Rama and WowLights packages, but I don't think I'm quite ready for a big light show. What I'd like to do is have the different lights slowly and subtly dim and brighten to help make it seem more alive, if that makes sense. Is there an entry level kit that you'd recommend or are LOR and WL the way to go?

Attached is our "pre-Halloween" set up from last year to give you an idea of the scope. Each of the tombstones has its own light, and there are a few on the house as well.

View attachment 751773
That’s beautiful! Love the colors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
You might use DAZL chase groups (or animation tracks) to slowly fade lights in various patterns (typically using DMX lights/controller). You could then grow into much more complicated stuff at a later time. Just another option (with a lot of forward-looking potential). DAZL Show Control Software

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Using something like LOR to just slowly change lights is overkill and a serious learning curve. Most RGB floodlights have settings that will cause them to change colors on their own - I would try something like that first.

Like this:

Thanks JW! I like that idea! I've got some older LEDs without all the features, I think that could do the trick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your yard haunt is so simple but has a huge impact!! Love it. Sometimes its hard to learn in some cases less, is def more. Agree with above, lots of the leds from china have all kinds of settings now. You could prob do it this year.
Thanks for all the kind words on our setup! I'll get some better pics this year. I'm trying to get the bats to pop a little more (you can barely see them here) and I'm building a big moon that'll be in the background above our garage!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might use DAZL chase groups (or animation tracks) to slowly fade lights in various patterns (typically using DMX lights/controller). You could then grow into much more complicated stuff at a later time. Just another option (with a lot of forward-looking potential). DAZL Show Control Software
Thanks for the tip! I don't have any experience with DMX (aside from the rapper, RIP), but I'll check it out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Haunters!

View attachment 751773
Are you using green and purple spot lights? Asking because I like the effect. Lighting is my weakness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought a pair of the lights that JW Halloween recommended. The ones I used in the pic are an earlier version that didn’t have the pulsing effect. They were about the same price if I remember correctly (although they don’t seem be to available anymore). The great thing is there are a handful of good color options so it’s easy and fun to play around with the look of your display. I did try to mix lower watt lights (for the short throw to the grave stones) and higher watt lights for the house. I did notice that color calibration was different between the two brands, so watch out for that. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you using green and purple spot lights? Asking because I like the effect. Lighting is my weakness.
Hi WitchyPoo2,

If you haven't already bought a bunch of lights, take a look at this tutorial from Van Oaks and check out the bluetooth flood lights he uses. If I were starting from scratch this is probably what I'd start with:

Quick update on my light setup - I ended up returning the ones JW posted. Overall they're great, but I just wasn't happy with the purple. I'm learning that many purples are extremely bright and it's tricky to find lights that give that nice saturated hue. Most of the new ones have a way to cycle through different colors, but I still haven't had luck slowly shifting through specific hues. I just picked up a few Lifx bulbs for indoors that seem really promising. If I can find a good way to waterproof them, I might try those for the outdoor effects as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi WitchyPoo2,

If you haven't already bought a bunch of lights, take a look at this tutorial from Van Oaks and check out the bluetooth flood lights he uses. If I were starting from scratch this is probably what I'd start with:

Quick update on my light setup - I ended up returning the ones JW posted. Overall they're great, but I just wasn't happy with the purple. I'm learning that many purples are extremely bright and it's tricky to find lights that give that nice saturated hue. Most of the new ones have a way to cycle through different colors, but I still haven't had luck slowly shifting through specific hues. I just picked up a few Lifx bulbs for indoors that seem really promising. If I can find a good way to waterproof them, I might try those for the outdoor effects as well.

Hope this helps!
I bought these and love them. I already have three spot lights and three swirly lights and many strings of lights. I use theatre gels on the spot lights. I would recommend the Amazon lights for anyone.

Product Font Television Screenshot Parallel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts