Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you guys see all the online protests of the Dead Dog prop created by Distortions yesterday? I got a couple calls and emails because it's on our site as well. I should say I got some nasty calls - people outraged over a rubber Halloween prop saying this could lead people or kids to actually skin or torture a dog. I think that's crazy! If someone is going to skin or torture a dog, it's not because they saw a prop, it's because they have some very serious issues and need professional help. I also read a lot of comments posted online and people also are disgusted by babies as zombies, mummified cats, etc. At first I took the prop down from our site since it's out of stock, and from what I understand it's actually a discontinued item anyway. But then I thought about it and put it back up. I figure if the protesters win this battle, they'll try to take away every sick and twisted prop out there... and what fun would that be? LOL What do you think? I'd like to add that I absolutely love dogs and have two great Welsh Corgis, one of which was adopted from a shelter. I also contribute to the ASPCA. Here's one story: http://www.businessinsider.com/dead-dog-prop-at-walmart-sears-amazon-2013-9

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
I love dogs too, and I love Halloween and all things gory, BUT, I didn't like the skinned dead dog. I think it does cross a line.
In our society, we need to protect and shield our weaker and susceptible brothers and sisters.
You or I may not have a problem, but there are those who see this kind of thing and think its acceptable (of course to think that way is a display of deeper, serious problems).

There are a number of props of skinned dears, cats, foxes etc(for example check out Firghtprops - Animals section), that I never felt comfortable with.
I also didn't like the props that featured mutilated women in a too realistic fashion, it also could be seen as victimizing women.

Maybe it's a fine line between Zombie characters featuring animals & women, but it seems far less offensive. Maybe as a zombie, the character is in control and is the aggressor rather than the victim. I don't know.

Distortions problem is that the dog prop was put into a mainstream Halloween sales channel, probably not a great idea.

I wonder if this will affect their Making Monsters show? Is there a 3rd season?

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
This is such a crock of *%$# !

These stores sell (and have sold in the past) bloody and gory body parts. HUMAN body parts. Severed arms, legs, hands, etc. Not to mention zombie babies. And nobody even batted an eyelash. But make a bloody, gory prop of a dog, and suddenly you've crossed a line?!? Seems to me that these folks have some seriously convoluted values.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I actually just watched the episode of Making Monsters where the Distortions team was coming up with the idea and making this prop , as well as the Lullaby prop to take to a show for buyers. The Distortions team kept saying they were afraid people would be put off by it and I guess they were right. I think its fair game ( the prop that is), its a Halloween or horror prop after all. The way I see it if someone doesn't like it they just don't buy it. Anyone going to skin or kill a dog was already predisposed to do so way before seeing a prop. Actually I think it looks like it was run over by a car, not skinned. When I was watching the episode and they kept saying how people were disturbed by the dog, I kept thinking I imagined people would be more upset over Lullaby. I guess you never can tell . Truth is someone somewhere is going to find just about anything offensive, we can't let them win with censorship.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truth is someone somewhere is going to find just about anything offensive, we can't let them win with censorship.
Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. There are things that are, in my opinion, too gory for us to sell on our site and it's my choice not to carry them. It doesn't mean I need to protest the company that makes them. It just means it's not for me. If you don't like it, don't buy it, or don't shop there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't really like the prop and would not buy it. That is the answer that too many people seem to miss though, if you don't like something don't support it or buy it. If enough people agree with you it will go away on its own, You don''t have to make a big deal about it and try to stop others from buying it though, because the next time it might be something you like that others object to.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
Yes there is a third season of Making Monsters, it's probably already in the can. If I recall correctly, they made this prop a few years ago or at the very least last year, it's not new. I remember seeing on the show. I also recall thinking at the time "they're gonna take heat for that, I can hear the PETA clicking keyboards now" & was surprised when I heard not one peep.

Maybe Walmart was the wrong venue but it wasn't in stores at all, only online so it's not like the kids were gonna run past it. I could understand backlash for the big box retailers & larger stores like Sears/Kmart/Walmart.

I mean really, Walmart's/Sears/etc. buyers saw the dang thing & thought "WE COULD SELL THE HELL OUTTA THIS!!' so it's not like they just showed up in the stores, someone went to the trouble of choosing that piece (or any other piece they sell online or in store).

I see no problem having it on Halloween site or store, you'd expect something like that there & there's usually much worse out there if you look.

I also think it's one of those things that if it's not your bag, don't buy it. There's a lot of Halloween stuff I wouldn't buy but that doesn't mean someone else won't find it the perfect thing for their house or party.

EDITED TO ADD:
This will be great publicity for Morris & Distortions. It will probably increase the value of the prop so I hope someone here has a couple to make some $$ on!!

·
redrum
979 Posts
Those crazy animal lovers are not right. I am an animal lover without the crazy........You should see Distortions facebook page .....Just crazy. I tried to argue but those people are nuts (they make us look sane)! Just nuts. Its a prop, they need to get a clue!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if this will affect their Making Monsters show? Is there a 3rd season?
Since the people who watch the show are Halloween people like us, I'm sure they'll be fine. They actually finished wrapping up another season of taping at Mask Fest in Indianapolis that we were at just a week ago. Here's a pic I took of them filming. You can see Ed & Marsha on the right and Jordu on the left.

Distortions-at-mask-fest.jpg

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
If you don't like it, don't buy it, or don't shop there.
I guess the same is true for drugs. Who has the right to tell me what I can or cannot put in my body, I'm only harming myself right?

As we live in a society that agrees to limit access to things that are deemed harmful to some, there will always be grey areas and poorly defined lines of acceptance.

Don't get me wrong, look at the stuff I make & buy - it's pretty horrendous, so I'm not adverse to it. I would never tell someone what they should or should not buy, but I understand the argument.

Distortions didn't have to stop selling it. They could have ignored it, but they don't want to harm other sales and just want the problem to go away.

Weird, this prop came out last year, but is only getting attention now?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,271 Posts
at the risk of starting a political rant, if there's enough backlash that it's not a profitable product and has negative consequences for the company selling it, the company will stop selling it. if people still buy it despite the backlash to the extent that it still brings in profit, they'll keep selling it. as long as no one is forcing any company to sell or not sell something, i'm fine with it. if you want it, somebody will be selling it--go buy it from them and let the companies hat don't want to sell it make their own decisions.

vote with your wallets, people. the main reason i love capitalism is that it generally means consumers get what consumers deserve.

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
At first I took the prop down from our site since it's out of stock, and from what I understand it's actually a discontinued item anyway. But then I thought about it and put it back up. I figure if the protesters win this battle, they'll try to take away every sick and twisted prop out there... and what fun would that be?
Just wondering, why did you take it down in the first place? Was it a concern that it would hurt your other sales?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wondering, why did you take it down in the first place? Was it a concern that it would hurt your other sales?
No, the first complaint I got was an email. I realized we aren't stocking the prop anymore and the fact that it was still up really was just an oversight. So I took it down, no big deal. Then when I got other calls where I was being yelled at, I started to get really frustrated by it. It's one thing to write or call to express your opinion, but if you don't even want to let me say one thing in reply, then it's not a conversation and you just want to force your viewpoint on me. One caller asked "Do you sell the Dead Dog prop?" and when the answer given was "Not anymore" the caller's response was "Right answer!" and hung up. When I began to feel like I was being bullied about what we sell, I took a different stance and put it back up because that's not right.

As Dane82 put it, I have a right to sell what I want and people have a right to buy what they want. I don't carry it anymore because it wasn't a big seller, so the product would have just faded away off our site quietly. I don't know if it was discontinued by Distortions because of this protest, or if they stopped making it prior to that. I just don't like to be bullied.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I am with those who think it is horrendous and crosses a line. I also do not like anything that depicts human torture, but admittedly, I have a softer spot for animals. I just don't understand how anyone could enjoy the idea or image of torture and mutilation and I think there is something wrong with those who do. There. I said it. My opinion. You are free to disagree.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think its really strange how props of people - even babies - tortured, dead, zombified, are all totally fine, but a dog somehow is going too far. Distortions makes props for professional haunted houses, their stuff crosses a line by design. If there's one industry that needs to not bow to the PC police, its the haunted house industry. I wonder if any of the protesters making these calls has ever seen a transworld video. It would blow their mind I think. The whole thing is pretty ridiculous to me.

Unfortunately, in this internet age, if one person gets offended by something, its all too easy for them to organize an army of cranks. I don't blame Distortions for pulling the prop - this will blow over quickly and things can return to normal. Until the next time some overly-delicate person (who happens to be social media connected) stumbles onto something that offends their sensibilities. I think this is just the new normal these days, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts