Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I was thinking would it be smart to make a sign that says something like "visit this house on Halloween night for great supprises and candy? (something that would draw attention) I'm thinking about making one and then just leaving it in the front yard about a week before Halloween night.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Why not go even further and post things around town? I was thinking about that after last year. I had such a crappy turn out that maybe it's time to advertise? It's that old saying if a tree falls in the middle of the woods with no one around.....Maybe even make posters? Another idea that springs to mind is to try and offer something more than a fun size treat without going over board. Do they even make rubber spiders, worms etc anymore? Maybe package then together for the cool costumes?

I'm definately looking to increase my TOT population but only if they dress real scary.

I'm trying to think of the places to advertise...telephone poles, supermarkets, schools(if they don't have machine gun nests like my area!), etc....

I also want more adults dressing up...that presents a challenge....reminds me of an old Ozzie & Harriet show(available for free on archive.org) where the adults thought of Halloween just for kids. That has to be changed. After all parents are often the catalyst...if they're not into it..their kids might not be.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey so I was thinking would it be smart to make a sign that says something like "visit this house on Halloween night for great supprises and candy? (something that would draw attention) I'm thinking about making one and then just leaving it in the front yard about a week before Halloween night.
Umm...do you set up your display on halloween day? :eek: I could never do that with all the stuff we do. I think the cemetery fence, columns and arch going up in our front yard in September is enough warning for the neighbors! :D We've found it actually increases attendence due to everyone in the area anticipating the next new prop to be put out, and talking to their friends about it. I'm sure last year we had people coming in just to see our house because their friends in the neighborhood told them about it.

-EEric

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a sign I put out. We live in an apt complex that has quite a few families with tot's yet last year we only got one, this would be a great increase from the year before.

Anyhow the sign reminds a lot of something from Tom Sawyer and has a jack o' lantern painted on it and says Trick r' Treat candy shop on it. Gonna put it out earlier this year and hopefully get some of the fams to come by.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Love the countdown sign idea...i am stealing it!!!
It is a great idea...but borrow it....no stealing allowed :D

I might have to borrow it too...

I've seen the countdown "clocks" at michael's and wasn't interested in them, but this is a better way to go and I can go as big as I want...I can find some scrap would and build a billboard that one can see from the end of hte culdesac as they drive by.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
I'm not sure where it is, but i beleive someone on here had a sign that said "Something Wicked This Way Comes", and a countdown sign under it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There are a lot of creative ways you could do a countdown sign. For instance, have a Mr. and Mrs. Scarecrow sitting on a bail of hay, and each is holding on their lap a board with one of the digits in the countdown number. Or have a life-size Grim Reaper standing in your yard, with one of his arms extended holding his scythe upright, and hanging from his extended arm (on eyehooks) are the panels with the numbers.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
i have done my haunt for about 13 or 14 years. 2 years ago i moved to same school district but new town. some places won't let you put up flyers on their telephone poles. you can put flyers up on bulletin boards at burger king and gas stations and such. if the haunt is free, you can go in the paper as a human interest story. i just mentioned it to all my customers. i had 25 kids the first year. around 50 kids the next year. and last year i had 75. word of mouth is your best advertisement.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will post flyers around town. The haunt is a bit of a suprise to the naighboor hood meaning we set up only on Halloween. It's only up for a few hours but it's well worth it. Each year I'm asked to do a haunt at another friend or family members home so each year the landscape and ideas change. I'd make a countdown but being so busy as it is, there would be no time to change it. If there was I'd still forget about it

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I grabbed a couple hard hats at the thrift store last night. I can put them on a couple of bluckies so they can be construction workers putting up my sign...just need to get some of them orange barrels from the freeway :D

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just this last weekend we got our city flyer. It says for us that signs put up in easements, on telephone poles and any temperory sign is illegal. We don't put out props early either. Since we live in the burbs it really safe but, it only takes one year where an expensive prop gets damaged that I would really getted ticked off. You might want to put up a flyer at the local grocery stores, churches and schools. Most have a board of things to sell or community events.
I used Puffer Balls last year and they were a major hit. I bought a bunch off ebay for an alien campout we were having. They came in different colors and glowed in the dark. They looked a lot like alien tribbles so that is what I used. Well, in my haunt I used them as spider eggs and put them right in front of my huge spider. This way the prize was part of the scene and the kids got to interact with the props. They also got to overcome their feer. They would walk up to the spider and when they were just grabbing the egg, I would activate the spider and it would rear up. The spider was 9x21 so even the larger teens were dwarfed. They loved it so now I have to come up with something else this year but, thought it might be something you can use in your haunts.

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
I emailed him and this is what he said...

We are on a dead end so when you get to our street, there are only 20 houses to pick from ... and WE are the only ones who do a display! :)

They just have to look for the Pirate Ship! LOL

·
Registered
725 Posts
My plan is to put up a sign along the main drag that is a few block from our house, Halloween morning. I thought about flyers but I hate the idea of over committing. I am both a dreamer and a realist. The dreamer side of me has some rather epic plans, but the realist side of me says I still have alot of work to do.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts