Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a prototype prop. My theme is Area 51 and I plan to have alien trophys hung on the wall like this. I want to get the forums opinion before I start making a bunch of these. Do you think I should continue or is it not worth it? Have any improvement suggestions?

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
It's not bad, and I get what you're going for...

I don't want to be critical, so please don't take my comments the wrong way. I think what you've done is a great idea, and I like where you're headed.

My two cents:

Working with this specific prop, I would blend the eyes in for to the surrounding mask, and I would darken inside the mouth. I find the holes and white around the eyes distract from the effect. I would also try to spiff up the plaque a bit. If you could smooth out and router the edge, that would go a long way to making it look like someone's pride trophy.

:cool:

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Looks cool! I think you'll need some way to clarify that they are alien trophies, though. This one doesn't read "alien" (though it kinda reminds me of that one guy in the Star Wars IV cantina scene).
I would maybe do two more that are more traditional alien designs and then move on to other props, but that's just me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a rough draft, i just threw on the eyes to give it a little effect. I plan on spray painting the styrafoam head black (or brown) so you can't see it. The mask also is just for show, i have better ones buried in a box somewhere and I don't want to dig through them to find them just yet. I also plan on putting a plaque that says race and planet of origin. I do have some skulls as well but they will be sitting on the counter top under these trophys.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Well, it sounds like you're definitely on the right track. I think the plaque size and head position is very good. Well proportioned. I also think you're right on with the shape of the plaque. A quick search for taxidermy plaques shows many in the same basic shape.

Mr_Chicken has some good questions. A lot depends on final presentation, placement, and lighting.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Latex paint won't wreck the styrofoam. Also it's available OTS in pints and quarts in flat black for pretty cheap.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
you could right the words and such on the plaque in black light reactive paint and maybe highlight whatever mask that you decide to use with the paint as well and then bath it in black light. black light really gives it an otherworldly feel to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts