Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ...out there

So it is freezing here about 1degree celsius and I just witnessed some white stuff floating around ...yes snow
So what is everybody using to protect their creations (tombstones or monster mud creatures )from the snow and rain?
Would like to keep the paint from running and the monster mud from becoming mush ...

Wish I lived in Florida !!!

Dahlia Romain

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
My tombstones have held up great for years with no additional weatherproofing, just painted with exterior latex paint. Everything else is basically pvc pipe, chicken wire, Styrofoam, and polyester so moisture is no problem.
Edited to add: My witches do have heads made from paper mache and are sealed with acrylic sealer but I don't put them out until Halloween or a few days before if there's no rain in the forecast.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,781 Posts
Our stones hold up just fine in the wind, rain, sleet and snow, as well. Here in Illinois, we get tons of icky, cold, wet weather in October. Same here, they are made from insulation foam sheets and painted with exterior latex paint or primer, a bit of stone texture spray and a little acrylic for the details and supported with pvc inside over rebar. No extra weatherproofing. None of the paints have ever run and I've had them for several years, now. Other outdoor decor is made similarly. My scarecrow is made from an artificial carvable pumpkin, which holds up great in all weather, wood, branches, vines and that black weed block material, which is also fine to get wet. I have even painted my scarecrow head, and some other fake carved pumpkins, with a light wash of dark brown acrylics to age them and none of that has ever washed off, either.

Edit: If I put out a prop that I worry may get damaged by the wind we get, here, we just try to keep it set up close to the house for added protection.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Yo, Dahlia...two words...Thompson's Waterseal. Amazing stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts