Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel the need to jump up on my soap box and vent and smile. The big retailers having to set up the Christmas decorations first, then do the halloween decorations. The lack of new props this year. It seemed that Walmart had more space for dinnerware than the regular props. We had about a 30 to 40% drop in kids this year. Was it because of the Church's trunk or treats? Halloween being on a Friday night? I figured that since Halloween was on a Friday night we would be over whelmed with kids. It didn't happen. A good thing this year was nobody reported having any problems with hanging a body in their yard like what happen last year and that's a good thing. The dollar tree stores in my opinion did a great job with what they offered this year. I didn't spend alot of money before Halloween like I've done in the past, but I did do my regular shopping spree after wards.:D. The local spirit store didn't have the appeal this year as it has in the previous years.:eek:. I guess it comes down to dollar and sense. Halloween is the 2nd largest holiday for dollars spent behind Christmas. Do these retail giants forget this fact or do they think I'm saving my money to hug a tree on arbor day:rolleyes:. I know this is just a plain rant and I thank you for your time reading it.:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yea remember when they actually waited till after thanks giving for Christmas decorations. Pretty soon Christmas will be competing with the 4th of July........

In my area we actually had MORE TOT's this year. But I heard a few saying that they heard about our house in the next neighborhood....loved hearing that!!

The stores did seem short on new stuff this year. Got a little but nothing compaired to years past.

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
I'll bet you all are more lucky than me, I had 4 TOTers..but i agree, the halloween stuff here was gone by the middle of the month and the x-mas stuff was out since aug...what a crock.you think they would have more ambition towards the sales of the 2nd biggest holiday...now you have me ranting LOL

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Okay, first I appreciate and agree with everything you said, but I have to add to your rant. In my metro area, two free music stations had changed programming to all Christmas music on NOVEMBER 1ST!!!! Are you freakin' kidding me?? Christmas music.... on November 1st???? I've boycotted those two stations. I refuse to have Christmas crammed down my throat over the radio for two full months. I used to listen to the one station when it started Christmas programming the day after Thanksgiving, but this is ridiculous!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I walked into Kmart the other day and they are already playing Xmas music. I think it' still too early to start playing it, it should start the day after Halloween although I'm not a fan of Xmas music either way.

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
Many people are under the impression that Halloween is the second-busiest retail holiday of year, beaten only by Christmas. In fact, The National Retail Foundation ranks it sixth overall, behind Father's Day, Easter, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and the winter holidays. So, as for the pumpkin-happy holiday offsetting the Dow Jones from its financial debacle, don't count on it.

Halloween Myths Debunked:
Top 5 Halloween Myths Debunked | LiveScience

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Many people are under the impression that Halloween is the second-busiest retail holiday of year, beaten only by Christmas. In fact, The National Retail Foundation ranks it sixth overall, behind Father's Day, Easter, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and the winter holidays. So, as for the pumpkin-happy holiday offsetting the Dow Jones from its financial debacle, don't count on it.

Halloween Myths Debunked:
Top 5 Halloween Myths Debunked | LiveScience
That's because people can use fuzzy numbers to make things look how they want.

If you look at decorations and costumes only, it's #2, behind Christmas Decor. If you look at total gifts, cards, food, etc retail it's #6. And the reason behind that IS the lack of gift-giving.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
.... The lack of new props this year. It seemed that Walmart had more space for dinnerware than the regular props. .....The local spirit store didn't have the appeal this year as it has in the previous years.:eek:.

that's the cool thing about Halloween...you get to use your imagination and make your own props.

I'll agree that the lact of TOTs is a bummer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts