Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TENTH annual Halloween party is a biohazard, toxic waste, zombie apocalypse theme this year. :)

Biohazard barrels are for my drink station. I finished painting and blood splattering FIVE!!! I just need to add the waste dripping down the sides and paint when dry.

$10 trash can
2 cans grey spray paint (use 1 -1/2)
2 cans green spray paint (used both)
1 can glow in the dark spray paint (used)
1 can red spray paint for blood splatter (barely used)
Biohazard stencil

I can't post links for photos yet to show you more but you get the idea. I'm also making more body bags, toxic waste letters for the drink station, "slime" or waste for the sides and top of my drink station, costume contest gift bags for prizes (painted,) and awards for costume contest (biohazard theme)...whew!

What are you working on???

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ooooh I like!!! Very cool! Lights and great stuff painted for skid? It looks awesome!
Thanks!! Yes, great stuff and orange string lights :) Im actually spray painting the black on the ship rite now lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!!!! Are you adding on to a past project or all new builds this year??

I'm using great stuff too. I'm making my toxic waste spilling out of the biohazard barrels. 3 of the 5 done. I like the lights and thought about adding some green ones. Since I made the "waste" detachable I think it would be easy. These will hold all my themed drinks. I'll add some glow sticks the night of the party.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
WOW!!!! Are you adding on to a past project or all new builds this year??

I'm using great stuff too. I'm making my toxic waste spilling out of the biohazard barrels. 3 of the 5 done. I like the lights and thought about adding some green ones. Since I made the "waste" detachable I think it would be easy. These will hold all my themed drinks. I'll add some glow sticks the night of the party.
Yes, both ships and all of the aliens I biult this year. I have been working like a lunatic lol!! Absolutely love the toxic waste containers!!! I need about 5 of those for my display!!:):) I think they will look super cool with the glow sticks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I bet! Well done! They are turning out great. Hopefully you live in an area where they'll get lots of view.
I live on a very busy 4 lane road:) Im getting such a late start this year due to terrible weather. Here are some pics with lights. Fog will be added when it gets put on display. You cant really see the light in the dome, I put close up of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Impressive! The lights look great. What is the dome? I though maybe one of those fire and ice lights but they are much smaller.

This will definitely be stopping traffic and be the hit of the neighborhood. Bummer about the weather.

I don't live on a very busy street but people usually come by to see my skeleton zombies. I made two more today. I also put my teeth up and still need to add all the tombstones.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Looks a little like my river of fire – great idea. Materials?
I used orange string lights on plastic and covered with great stuff. I see alot of people using bottle tops on top of the lights...i don't see the use. i just spray directly on the lights. You can achieve different depts by watching how you spray. I let it set up over nite then the plastic peels rite off.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Impressive! The lights look great. What is the dome? I though maybe one of those fire and ice lights but they are much smaller.

This will definitely be stopping traffic and be the hit of the neighborhood. Bummer about the weather.

I don't live on a very busy street but people usually come by to see my skeleton zombies. I made two more today. I also put my teeth up and still need to add all the tombstones.
I used led tape color changing around the ship and a fire and ice light in the dome. I ordered that acrylic dome from amazon. It was clear but i didnt like it so I frosted it. Love the zombies! Its awesome when people come by just to see your display. I already have had some people asking when are you gonna put the display out? :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mood Lighting – Potted Skulls – Go Big Or Go Home

Six 12" resin garden urns from Menards (50% off, $5 ea.).
One 18" resin garden urn from Menards (50% off, $10).
Four cans of Great Stuff from Menards ( on sale for $2.74 a can).
One 3'x4' mud trough from Menards ($13, for the fire pit)
A couple of dozen clear plastic pot bottoms, paint tray liners, and packing tape from Menards (maybe a buck a piece).
Six more sets of 100-bulb orange LED strings from Home Depot ($3.99, a pretty good price).
Another three-pack of skulls and a bag of bones from Home Depot ($10 for three nice skulls, $10 for an assortment of low-detail bones).
Four orange sparkle projector lights from Target (kind of pricey at $20 ea., but ... the house will look like it's on fire if I do this right).

One 750ml Crystal Head Vodka (gotta get in the mood, right?).

About twenty skulls and all the bones got a black-and-grey paint job to make them look fire-burned. The urns were spray painted with assorted leftover paints (grey, white, black) to simulate stone, then marbleized with black and white latex enamel.
Pot bottoms were trimmed to fit inside the urns, and plastic bottles were cut up and taped together for some 3-D-ishness. I'm now covering the plastic with Great Stuff – and setting a blackened skull on top as it sets up.

The first three are drying and setting up in the garage. Tomorrow I'll pry the Great Stuff part out, and ember-ize the skull supports with red, black, and grey paint. Orange LED strings taped underneath, reassemble, and if everything goes according to plan, I'll have garden walkway urns filled with glowing embers and burning skulls.

This is a go-big-or-go-home project (the only kind I do). If it works, I'll have half-a-dozen amazing new lighting additions to the Haunt. If it doesn't, they'll still look way cool unlit. Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Gonna be an interesting day tomorrow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm trying my first Great Stuff project this weekend. Starting with Potted Skulls, practicing for a bigger installation. Any suggestions for the depth of the GS? I'm trying to stay thin so the lights shine through, but I'm really just guessing right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used led tape color changing around the ship and a fire and ice light in the dome. I ordered that acrylic dome from amazon. It was clear but i didnt like it so I frosted it. Love the zombies! Its awesome when people come by just to see your display. I already have had some people asking when are you gonna put the display out? :)
I was traveling for work last year, and didn't put anything out for Hallowe'en. The neighborhood had an all-out meltdown. Yeah, we're *that* house and OMD, were the neighbors disappointed. Except for Neighbor Bob – the block's grinch. He was happy that I didn't "trash up (your) yard" last fall.

Boy, is he going to be pissed this year. >;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm trying my first Great Stuff project this weekend. Starting with Potted Skulls, practicing for a bigger installation. Any suggestions for the depth of the GS? I'm trying to stay thin so the lights shine through, but I'm really just guessing right now.
The best way to tell is plug all the lights in at nite and spray over them. I also paint with the lights on at nite. That way you can achieve the look you want.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, both ships and all of the aliens I biult this year. I have been working like a lunatic lol!! Absolutely love the toxic waste containers!!! I need about 5 of those for my display!!:):) I think they will look super cool with the glow sticks.
Love love love the drink-cooler idea.

I JUST PLUGGED IN AN URN – IT WORKED! IT WORKED! IT WORKED!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds awesome and you have a good plan. I'm the same with big projects. I always plan WAY too big of projects and spend crazy amounts of time creating it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts