Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting out some props this year but my new house comes with a new challenge - lots of wildlife. Deer come through pretty much every day. Lots of squirrels, chipmunks, foxes, plus the occasional bear (or bear family), I haven't seen them but I've heard bobcats and coyotes, and I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting.

The deer are my biggest concern, especially when they run across the property. Has anyone had issues with them, or are they pretty good at jumping over obstacles like tombstones? Any tips for helping my props coexist with the native wildlife?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I live in the woods with tons of wildlife around and while I really enjoy seeing them, they can be a nusiance at times. I don't do much of a yard display due to being set back too far from the road but I can tell you about animal behavior. I don't think you need to worry too much about deer, they tend to steer clear of anything new or out of place. About the only critter you may have problems with are raccoons. They're mischievous and tend to climb on things. I doubt they will actually destroy anything but they may topple things over occasionally. For the most part I don't think you'll have any serious problems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raccoons, knew I was forgetting something, they do live around here. Strangely enough a lot fewer than when I lived in the city. Badgers also live up here but I haven't seen any yet.

Good to know animals generally leave these things alone. Although it would be cool if a bear took a bite out of something... that might be an idea for a prop...

Last year I got absolutely no trick or treaters, but since there are no sidewalks or streetlights I wasn't really surprised. There are, however, a number of people walking around during the day, a few other houses put out a few decorations, and I did see one sign for a haunted yard in the area. I had knee surgery so I didn't do anything last year but by now I'm fully recovered and ready to climb up a tree to hang skellies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts