Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last halloween I was giving candy to the trick or treaters, and I hung up two hanging props; a grim reaper and a caged skeleton..
They both have motion sensors and they set off over and over. This is what they said: GR: grim reaper CS: caged skeleton
GR: Don't worry... I'll be going soon, but you're coming with me! ha!
CS: ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
GR: Things are looking a little Grim around here!
CS: *shakes*
That attracted a ton of people 2 mins after.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I sawed out a figure of a reaper (side View) from 3/4 inch plywood. I fastened it to a steel pipe with bolts and clamps.
then pounded another pipe straight down into the ground. The two pipes fit one inside of the other.
There may have been an end welded or a cap on the end of the pipe that was stuck into the ground.
I had some opaque plastic sheeting that was more like a shower curtain than the normally flimsy plastic,it was made to cover ammunition almost indefinitely and keep it "fresh".
A slight breeze would turn or half-turn this life sized critter in my front yard. What I think is even better is one time some one would see it pointing North, next time South and if they happened to look as it was pointed East or West, it Disappeared! (It was so thin from 20 or more feet away)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, that is an aspect of wind that I never considered. I always plant huge sunflowers in my yard, and let them turn brown and use them to create ambiance at halloween.

We had a windy halloween, and last minute I hung one of these guys from a sunflower:

spider.jpg

The wind animated this guy magically. He was super. You couldn't buy a prop that squirmed more realistically.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Very cool! You must have had people wondering if you'd programmed it that way!
I didn't have any talking props, so no conversations, but the wind did give some interesting motion to my outdoor props. Venetian Victoria was the best. The bracket for the support pole broke as soon as I put it up outside, but I replaced the support with a fiberglass rod. I attached that to the upstairs deck by a zip tie with quite a bit of slack in it. The slack in the tie combined with the flex of the fiberglass support allowed her to do some pretty good swaying in the wind. It elevated what would otherwise have been a relatively ho-hum static prop.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Very cool! You must have had people wondering if you'd programmed it that way!
I didn't have any talking props, so no conversations, but the wind did give some interesting motion to my outdoor props. Venetian Victoria was the best. The bracket for the support pole broke as soon as I put it up outside, but I replaced the support with a fiberglass rod. I attached that to the upstairs deck by a zip tie with quite a bit of slack in it. The slack in the tie combined with the flex of the fiberglass support allowed her to do some pretty good swaying in the wind. It elevated what would otherwise have been a relatively ho-hum static prop.
I had a problem with my Grandin Road props too. My Victoria, Helsa and the headless boy all had their poles snap by the wind this year. And it was on Halloween night so I didn't have time to repair them. So frustrating.

The prop show arranged by the wind didn't happen on Halloween, but the day after. I had put all the props in the back yard Halloween night. I went out the next day to start putting them away. The wind had blown my mummy lady over, and it looked like the zombie was going to spank her. And Jason looks like he's chasing the skeleton man. I had a lot more going on the day after Halloween.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard that the grandin road props have cheap support poles. My Winged grim reaper came from grandin road.
My caged skeleton and grim reaper both have motion sensors, and when they swing, It makes them appear to be talking together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts