Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do about weatherproofing (for rain & wind) your props? Do you leave it out for days of just put the stuff out halloween night? Some of your display are very high end with elec motors, moving parts, fabric, etc...

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
For me this is an issue because I do a yard only haunt. I put out those props that can withstand the weather first and then watch the weather report closely to see when I can put out the other props that are more weather sensitive. This can cause a mad hater set up if the weather does not cooperate.

Generally, I don't put out the more "high end" props until either halloween day or the day before for several reasons. Weather, Security (theft vandalism) and Surprise factor. The last being I only open my yard haunt on Halloween so I want the props to be fresh and a suprise.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I had to bring the inflatables into the garage today... High winds and rain. The outhouse and everything else (including the "camp fire") stayed out. The straw bales are actually growing some grass! :)

·
Banned
524 Posts
I had to bring the inflatables into the garage today...
Do you not anchor them down with the stakes? We get some high winds here when fronts move through but if I have them staked good and they don't move and are fine. I have to go tighten them up though once the wind dies down. One thing I have learned from them is don't overtightened them or you will rip the hook from the inflatable. If you make it taunt with just enough slack so it can give a little they should be fine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've had to slice "smilely's" in my black plastic due to high winds, but at night everything is dark and doesn't give anything away. My wooden frames are anchored into the grass with 12" nails.

Good thing it rains only every other century here in San Diego. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I start putting props out October 1 and keep adding until Halloween. The new stuff goes out right before Halloween. If rain is forecast I unplug the electric, but I've designed the props to withstand the weather for the most part.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I pull all my foam and small props in. I keep my buckys out, but I just wrap them in clear garbage bags when it rains to protect the corpsing...looks like a body bag or something.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. Next year when I do my display I would like to put it out on Oct 1st and keep it out until Nov. 1st. I will just have to keep in mind when building props it will have to be rain and wind proof. Keep the feedback coming..!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do you not anchor them down with the stakes? We get some high winds here when fronts move through but if I have them staked good and they don't move and are fine. I have to go tighten them up though once the wind dies down. One thing I have learned from them is don't overtightened them or you will rip the hook from the inflatable. If you make it taunt with just enough slack so it can give a little they should be fine.
Yep, I do... Made it a PITA to have to bring them in, but a couple of them are fairly old. Didn't want to have to patch them. Plus, we got a LOT of rain. Not a big deal, just a precaution. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts