Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

So we added a train last year. You can see it here about 30 seconds in:

Unfortunately you really can't the train at night so my idea is to raise it up about 3 feet off the ground. The question is raise it with what?

The trick will be to support it completely at each joint or connection. Now I have 8 different connection points so in my search my goal is to keep the cost as low as I can but recognize I lack the finesse to build something that would need to be identical to each other and be adjustable for the slope of the lawn and of course be compact for storage.

This is my best candidate so far:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YNHZI6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can use a flat board for each joint and put them on this component for height and stabilty and it still allows me to adjust later if needed.

Any ideas of an alternative would be appreciated. I've thought of those old X metal trash can holders to construction roadblocks but haven't found the hieght or adjustment I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would invest in some plywood, cut into strips about 2 inches wider than the track. Cut enough pieces to completely follow the layout of the track. Secure the track to it CAREFULLY. Maybe drilling some small holes in the wood and using cable ties. Then you can use whatever you want to raise the whole track up. Saw horses would work, and should be readily available.
Just some ideas.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Creepy Creations is right, but...

Cut the strips to match each track section, minus 1/2 inch on each end. Mount each track section on that. Then cut much larger strips that span several sections of track, but the strips in this second set need to end in the middle of a track section. At the curves on each end of the make these strips like 3-4 inches wide on the inside of the curve.

The first set of strips will them mount on the second set, providing more rigidity. Then fabricate a couple of simple open top plywood and stud boxes. Use the boxes bottom end up to screw the assembled track ring down using the extra wide section on the inside of the curves. And after the night is done, disassemble the track and train and use the plywood boxes to store everything. You could even mount spotlights on the boxes to illuminate the train better.

I'd also look at some other Halloween trains out there and consider doing a new paint job to make it more visible at night.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I already have the train track on boards. It's how to raise it from the boards I've mounted the track to off the ground I'm having a problem with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts