Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this might sound corny but i have been here for almost a year now and i reed it every day !! wat does !!! PROP. !!! stand for !!!! yyyyyyyyyy

·
Registered
340 Posts
I found this in dictionary.com

First went to prop which gave this:

prop2  /prɒp/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [prop]
–noun Theater.
property (def. 8).

which then linked 'property' to:

8. Also called prop.
a usually movable item, other than costumes or scenery, used on the set of a theater production, motion picture, etc.; any object handled or used by an actor in a performance.

Interesting question tho, I wonder if there is someone out there with a more detailed answer

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,307 Posts
I found this in dictionary.com

First went to prop which gave this:

prop2  /prɒp/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [prop]
–noun Theater.
property (def. 8).

which then linked 'property' to:

8. Also called prop.
a usually movable item, other than costumes or scenery, used on the set of a theater production, motion picture, etc.; any object handled or used by an actor in a performance.

Interesting question tho, I wonder if there is someone out there with a more detailed answer

Nope, that's it. Prop is short for "theatrical property."

I was a theater minor in college and involved in theater since I was little. Using "prop" for the Halloween items is correct and makes sense considering that we're all putting on a theatrical production of sorts. :)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Yeah, I've always understood it to be short for "Property" - as in "Property of..." whatever studio owned the item/costume/set.

Not to be confused with:
prop –verb (used with object)
1. to support, or prevent from falling, with or as if with a prop (often fol. by up): to prop an old fence; to prop up an unpopular government.
2. to rest (a thing) against a support: He propped his cane against the wall.
3. to support or sustain (often fol. by up).
–noun
4. a stick, rod, pole, beam, or other rigid support.
5. a person or thing serving as a support or stay: His father is his financial prop.

So, one could prop a prop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts