Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to the local maker space (Geekspace Gwinnett) yesterday. They were working on Raspberry Pi projects. I told them I didn't have time to play with my Raspberry Pi, since I had a bunch of Halloween props to make for my first yard haunt. I showed them the singing pumpkins I did last year and the projects I have planned for this year.

Well, they asked me if I would lead a workshop, since they thought some of the club members and guests would be interested. I'm going to start out with a tombstone, details on a schedule are in the works. I've learned a lot the past 6 months, from all the tutorials on here, and the advice I've ready in the different posts. I'm actually going to make all the props at the space and invite people to come see how I do it. As they say, better to learn from other people's (my) mistakes :p So if anyone in the Atlanta area wants attend or share their stuff, let me know. Typically work shops are free for members and $5 donation for non-members. Some workshops will be making your own, and others will be seeing how I do it.

My haunt is planned to be...

5 tombstones
Cemetery fence
Axworthy flying ghost
Reaper
Witch stirring a cauldron
borded up shutters on the window.

This is the plan, but budget might trim the plan back a bit (have to keep the wife happy)

Thanks again for the community, if it wasn't for the great people and tutorials on here, I wouldn't be able to think about a haunt like this.

Brian

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ok, the tombstone build classes at Geekspace Gwinnett is posted on meetup starting May 3rd. If you have any questions, let me know.

http://www.meetup.com/Geekspace-Gwinnett/events/176524212/

I am so excited to actually see a Georgia attempt at M&T. I will do whatever I can to support you guys, though I live in Marietta. I can never make weekday activities, but will try to attend on weekends. I would just encourage everyone to hang in there regardless of the initial numbers. On May 3rd, I have to pick up my wife at the airport so making it will be difficult.

I look forward to keeping up with this thread.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I am in Atlanta and would like to check the classes out. Please post the details. There are a lot of haunters in Atlanta based on what I have seen on the boards. It would be a good reason to get together.

Foolish mortal, I just checked out your you flicker account. You could lead your own classes on Halloween props. Your tomb with the pop up skeleton is amazing. The molding on the tomb is great.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Brian...thanks for getting this started. Hopefully it will mean the Atlanta haunters can get together. I can't make the first class but might be able to drop by toward the end.

Col Fryght...thanks for the kind words on my prop. I checked out your video of your haunt and it looked great. How did you get the fog to hug the ground like that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm joining Geekspace Gwinnett, I figured that even though they don't have a large workshop, it's better than my poorly lite garage. So when they asked about the projects i'm working on, they asked if I'd give a class. They asked if I would use the props i'm making for next year as a basis for a series of Halloween classes.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I checked out your video of your haunt and it looked great. How did you get the fog to hug the ground like that?
I built a fog chiller out of the largest cooler that Walmart had- I believe it was called the Coleman Extreme. I know everybody who is into fog chillers can get crazy technical with their designs, inlcuding trying to use radiators. But I believe that it essentially comes down to temperature. I simply use about 4 inches of pvc into the cooler with a turn to the top and then 6 inches of pvc at the other end as the exit.

The key (in my opinion) is that I use almost 60lbs of ice plus a box of rock salt (ice cream salt) to keep the ice from melting during the night. Plus, my simple design forces the smoke through the ice twice. Once going to the top, and then the pressure forces the smoke back down through the ice to go out the exit pipe.
I say my design, but obviously there is nothing original about it other than deciding how you want to build it.

Cold smoke=low fog, warm smoke=rising fog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to make sure everyone is aware, this is a Geekspace class that I happen to be leading. The $50 fee breaks down in about $30 for materials and $20 for the class. I'm going to buy the boards and do a first cut, so everyone gets two 2'x4' boards (one 2" and one 3/4") plus base material. I'll have Glidden Gripper, DryLok, acetone and tea stain paint also available. Since Geekspace is new, I'm short on tools, so there will be only 2 dremels. I'm not making any money off of this, just hoping to support Geekspace as they get going.

GeekSpace also allows "Work Shops" for a given topic, where nothing is 'taught', just bring in a project and work on it. Feel free to ask for help from other people, but everyone is working on their own project. Workshops are $10 per visit. If a couple of people want to schedule a regular 'halloween workshop', I can get one scheduled.

Members of Geekspace don't pay for Workshops and get a $10 discount off classes. Geekspace single membership is $50/month or $500/year. If you want to check out what they have to offer, every Tuesday night they have a free open house.

I know that GatorDave has been working on a Atlanta get together, which is separate from this. I just want to make sure that everyone understands that Geekspace Halloween meetup does cost money.

Brian

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Brian you post was very clear about this Geekspace. The sub-forum for groups is relatively hard to find, but I did just post to the it. Here is a link for those who have troubling finding it: http://www.halloweenforum.com/groups/southeast-home-haunters.html. Of course, sub-forums are where posts go to die. :confused:

At the very least, it seems there is some good energy out there for some of us to get together at some point. Brian, if you don't mind, I think this thread you started would be a terrific avenue to reach Georgia prop builders. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the first 3 Saturdays of May, 9a - 1p. Due paint drying times and glue drying times, there is work to be done during the week. But you could do bring the project home and do the mid-week stuff at home. The first week, you have to glue the base and the tombstone together. The second week, you have to apply a coat of Drylok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm cancelling the "Class" since people haven't signed up from Geekspace. Instead, I'm going to change it to a "Workshop". Workshops aren't taught, just time where you can work on any project, but people are available to help you with your project. Workshops for members are free, non-members at $10. So, I'll be working on my Haunt the 1st three Saturday, from 9a - 1pm. If you want to drop by and work on whatever, you can. I'll be working on Tombstones likely the first Saturday, May 3rd.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sorry to hear about the cancellation. But to normal people, it is probably not normal to work on tombstones other than in October. But we know better!!:D

I was confused as to when you would be working on your haunt. Did you mean the first three Saturdays in May?
So, I'll be working on my Haunt the 1st three Saturday, from 9a - 1pm. If you want to drop by and work on whatever, you can.

I know a cauldron witch is on your dream list. I would love to build a stirring cauldron witch with you, but I am not sure how I would get the final product back to Marietta since I do not own a truck. There are several great videos on cauldron witches. I like this guy's video because they seem simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwsIYIkPdI

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I have access to a trailer, if you want to work on them together. You you correct, since I'm not having a class the first 3 Saturdays, I'm just going to work on my projects during that same time and call it a workshop. I'm going to make Terra's Hunters Moon tombstone and then a Celtic Cross I'm designing. I'm hoping to have those wrapped up in the by mid May, but I can schedule in time for the Witch. Other things on my list: Axworth Ghost, Cemetery Fencing (totally disassemble), Boarded up windows, and potentially a street sign.

Here is the frame of the witch I'm going to use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwsIYIkPdI

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great thread! I would love to be part of a meet up as well sometime! I am afraid I am still in spring gardening mode and quite haven't made it to prop building mode yet, but if there is an "unofficial" meet up that we come up, count me in (from Woodstock)!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts