Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woe is me. I spent all 2013 changing all the props to wireless and then the day of, the transmitters interfered with each other so visitors that should have been scared a dozen times were only scared once or twice. So shameful I almost lost my will to scare. This year I'm going back to wired controls, hate it, and sharing my frustration. I'm going with a central control box with various types of relays between incoming/outgoing power sources.

wire000.jpg
wire001.jpg
wire004.jpg
wire004.jpg
wire005.jpg

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USB relay boards from https://www.denkovi.com/ (Bulgaria). I am really liking these. They are relatively
inexpensive, the USB cable can be extended using network cable quite a distance, and the free software to
control them is pretty cool. It does however require a computer to control the board and I can't afford a
computer to control every prop. Because of my previous experience with interference I am not ready to try
WIFI/smart devices to control the relays.
wire006b.jpg

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found this wireless remote relay setup on aliexpress. It is different than the other wireless relays in that the relays are separate (not on the same board). This allows one operator to control up to 12 props/12 prop functions.
wire006c.jpg

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are PIRs/motion sensor triggers not an option for your setup?

That would make it a lot easier wouldn't it? It's for a home haunt. To me its not a show as much as it's a "sport" where operators (friends and family) trigger the props depending upon the situation to yield the optimal scare. LOL - that last sentence probably wouldn't make sense to anyone outside of this forum : - ) We enjoy "the dance" where visitors stomp their feet and wave arms and legs to make it do it again and when they give up, let 'em have it again

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
LOL - that last sentence probably wouldn't make sense to anyone outside of this forum : - ) We enjoy "the dance" where visitors stomp their feet and wave arms and legs to make it do it again and when they give up, let 'em have it again
I totally get it.

Our home haunt is a big maze made out of 4x8 wall panels and several (usually 13) different scare rooms inside. There are only 4 of us operating it on a good night so we have to have a lot of automation. Hacking a security light motion sensor was the first prop-making skill I learned.

Sorry to hear about the WiFi interference mishap.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there was a Whining forum I would post there instead of here. I plugged the new Trigger Box into the Spooky Box and I don't like it. It's too much so I'm going to think up something else. You know, a bunch of guys in running around in costumes would be a lot less complicated, cheaper, and easier to store.
wire007.jpg

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Abunai, Rus' shop looks way too organized...even down to the matching containers with labels.

On another note, know what you mean about automation woes. We had PIR sensors throughout the garage tied to an arduino or other controllers and timing was sometimes off because people were either running, sprinting, or whatever. So it was difficult to get the scares right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts