Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
using standard motion sensors for props but have so many in garage wanna time the to only come on every so often whats the Best and most economical way to do this?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Was going to say Raspberry Pi + some python code might do the trick, unless you wanna spring for DMX gear and some DIY sensor rigs.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Build in disconnects for all the motion sensor triggers built into the props. This is simply wiring in some kind of inline plug/socket pair, which will allow you to plug in any type of trigger to the prop,as well as allowing reconnection of the built in sensor.

Build a DIY motion sensor as your master trigger connected to an arduino with a trigger shield (this is a daughterboard that connects to the arduino, made specifically for triggering other electrical devices, I've seen some capable of handling as many as 40 props). The trigger shield will then connect to all the props.

Master trigger sets off the program in the arduino, the arduino then triggers the connected props in timed sequence (which you'd need to write yourself). You can even add in a randomizer or sequencer routine which would allow skipping the activation of some props on certain cycles.

Downsides:
First, you're looking to shell out $100 to $150 to do all this rewiring,maybe more.

Second, there's no way you're going to get the work done by Friday,no matter how you try to solve your issue. This is more a project for Halloween 2015.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
There is a way around the use of an arduino,and that is to use multiple master sensors to cover specific zones, then wire selected props into these master sensors. That way, master sensor A triggers the props in group N, master sensor B triggers the props in group X, etc. You'll still have props going off every time someone passes through, but at least there will be organization to the chaos thanks to far fewer sensors being responsible for the action.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Man, what can you not find on electronics123. Nice find craigsrobotics.

I think the ticket though is to not mess with the prop's motion sensors but instead put them into demo/try me mode and then just feed them the temporary switch closure via a circuit like craigsrobotics posted. For the newer props that use the 3.5mm audio jack input, I placed a AAA batt across the relay to mimic a voltage spike like they're expecting from the other types of step pads that have the piezo sensors.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am not sure if this is possible.. I ordered a 5 pack of IR sensors for like 10 bucks from amazon, and an 8 relay module for 10 bucks. My thought is.. when the IR sensor is tripped, it will execute some python code. That code would turn trip one of the relays that is wired to the IR sensor circuit so it effectively turns it off. After some period of time, it resets the relay allowing the IR sensor to work again. The code would be pretty easy to write..just wondering if that makes sense or not?

Unfortunately, I have a full year now, since for some unbelievably stupid reason, after severe drought and 10 months of no rain, its going to rain all day Friday! I am beyond pissed that after 7 years of waiting for a Friday night halloween.. it's going to rain. I am not even going to bother decorating.. almost my entire display is outside and electric and I doubt we'll get more than 20 or 30 kids walking around in heavy rain and wind. Really really really blows that Halloween is almost always ruined by the weather. Wish they could move the day about a month earlier!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Andjarnic, what you're describing is what I used the Arduino and the Straub controllers for. You need to feed the PIRs 5v though and then monitor the sensor (I think it goes low to high). I then controlled the relays on the relay board you're talking about. The nice thing in doing this with a micro controller is that you can then ignore the repeated inputs from the sensor to avoid back to back triggers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
EviLEye
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing