Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of contacts or something that will reflect the eyes of those in costume like that of Tapetum lucidum, where for example, a cats eyes is very reflective to light.

the vision is to have dead bodies in front of the customers as pale demonic like creatures with arms that reach to their feet feasting on the bodies with their eyes concealed. SFX are everything. there will be HD speakers of eating sounds and attached to 1 "actors" palm will be a button that they press to play a shrieking surprise sound very near the customers.

Think the film SIGNS when seeing the alien on TV. That was the last time a film legitimately startled me.

This is the video that gave me the inspiration: /watch?v=_ECjO46EUp4

Help with finding out how to recreate reflecting eyes like that of Tapetum lucidum found in many animals is greatly appreciated.

This photo is very close to what I want to recreate. I get shivers looking at it.. UHHHGHGHGH

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is something I've been thinking about as well, though I haven't had any time to experiment. I don't think contacts are going to be a very fruitful avenue, because setting aside the cost and inconvenience of custom contacts, most extremely reflective materials are pretty much by definition not going to transmit light well, which means you'd probably need to leave a pupil hole in the middle, messing up the tapetum lucidum effect (though glow mesh full-eye contacts do exist). You'd probably be better off looking at a mask or facial prosthetic that covers the actor's eyes, but leaves a slit above or below the fake eyes.

For the reflective aspect, I've seen online some people using red reflective tape for an "eyes in the bushes" prop. For the whiteish silver effect like in your picture, you might try some of that Scotchlite retroreflective tape, like what's used for bicyclists' safety equipment. The trick with that is that it only really reflects light back the way it came, so you'd have to have a light source pretty close to the same angle as your audience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts