Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of attempting to making a cauldron creep and I'm look for advise on the motors... Almost all previous tutorials link to motors that are no longer available thru allelectronics.com and the wiper motors from monsterguts.com are back ordered until 9/23! Has anyone used the wiper motors from frightprops.com? If so, can you comment on quality - specifically operating noise?

Do you have any alternate recommendations for motors for a cauldron creep?

Last question, I'm picking up one of madmax's motors - this is an ideal motor for the head movement on this prop, correct?

Sorry, I'm new to animated prop building and looking for suggestions / opinions :eek:

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Well, 9/23 is not THAT far away if that's your only motor source. You might try E-bay for a wiper motor or something similar.

Yes, I would say the motor MadMax is selling would work fine for the head movement. I use those same motors and they work great!

·
Registered
378 Posts
The two speed motor on Fright props looks like the typical ones sold by monster guts. I have used both sites and they have great products and helpful staff. I just made another order from Fright props. I would not hesitate to use them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions and input... After discussing with our fleet mechanic at work he returned to my office about 15 mins later with a used wiper motor from a 2004 E250 cargo van! I think this will work!!! Although I'm unsure how to properly wire this thing... I have an old (never used) new power supply from my computer when I upgraded my GPU; I think I've ready somewhere that you can wire these things with that?

Any help with wiring, or suggestions on where to look? I'm sure a basic google search would provide decent results but figured I'd ask you folks first since you know the specific needs...

·
Registered
142 Posts
That worked! The entire case is probably negatively grounded, you can use a multi tester or similar and try each wire to the case to find the ground wire. Then it's a process of elimination for your positive. Just use your old power supply and try all remaining wires until one works. If you need a serviceable, cheap, no-frills, motor controller to slow things down, I found this one works well. Don't let the long ship time scare you. I've ordered three and all have arrived within 7 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350827102622&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to verify lead and grounds by hooking up to a car battery. White is lead, blue is fast RPM in one direct; yellow is slow RPM in opposite direction. The RPM on low is still too high. If I hook this bad boy up to 5v I should see a decrease in RPM, right?

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes, a lower voltage will reduce the speed, but will also reduce the torque. If lower torque is an issue, the PWM motor controller I linked earlier (or any PWM controller) reduces speed but preserves torque.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much! Everyone here is so helpful and friendly I'm amazed... I went ahead and bypassed my PSU "on" wire and hooked the motor up to the 5v lead and it did in fact reduce the motor speed. I wont know if it'll work as is until I get it installed in my cauldron and test. That's for another day though.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update... I ended up using a transformer / speed controller from my model railroad to power this motor. This works like a dream! Excellent control, easy to adjust and simple to hook up! Figured I'd share in case others didn't know about this. I have decent quality controllers though so I'm not sure if cheapos would work. I don't see why they wouldn't as long as it's a minimum 12vdc controller.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts