Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to grow my Halloween collection. This year, i made everything able to be broken down and stored in those huge Rubbermade containers they always have on sale at Wal-Mart this time of year.

My question is, HOW and Where to you store your Halloween items, props, etc. I already have several Rubbermade containers for smaller items and props. OMG just counted have 9 of them... how about you? :eek:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have started to grow my Halloween collection. This year, i made everything able to be broken down and stored in those huge Rubbermade containers they always have on sale at Wal-Mart this time of year.

My question is, HOW and Where to you store your Halloween items, props, etc. I already have several Rubbermade containers for smaller items and props already. OMG just counted have 9 of them... how about you? :eek:
Anywhere and everywhere. Thats wy huge may not be the best. I have some in the garage, some in the basement, some in the backyard, soem in an enclosed trailer and some in a storage unit!

IB

·
Tormentor of Cucurbits
3,477 Posts
We have a 12'x16' shed that has been pretty much taken over by Halloween props, plus there's 7 or 8 storage bins in the basement that we keep inside decorations in.
My wife came up with a neat idea a couple of years ago that gave us a good spot to store some of the smaller items in the shed. I nailed some cleats on the inside of my coffin and the shelves just slide in and out.........
toe pincher.jpg

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,682 Posts
Lots of boxes and rubbermaid containers... Takes up the majority of the "extra space" in the garage. I build stuff to collapse for storage too. My crypt (which is getting rebuilt for 2010) breaks down into 4 flats, and leaned up against the wall of garage and takes up very little space considering.

I store the stuff that is sensitive (latex masks, etc) in our spare room's closet so it's in A/C and heated and hopefully will last lots longer.

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) suggested taking pictures of the items stored in each box/container and attaching it to the outside so you could see at a glance what was inside... I think that is brilliant. :)

·
Masked Maker of Mischief
1,597 Posts
We built a 12' x 12' storage shed a few years back strictly for Halloween and Christmas decorations. I built the shed to have 8' walls and a partial loft for additional storage. The shed's ummm...full...:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pictures or list of container content is a great idea.

I wish i had a shed to store my stuff in, and here in central Texas, there are no basements! I still have a container filled with skulls, i never found this year. I think it's burried under my Christmas stuff, which i'll be dusting off soon. I think i'm gonna go with a 'master' list. Box #1 contains, this and that, Box #2 contains etc. Chance to use my Microsoft Excel skills!!!:D

·
Registered
650 Posts
I like that coffin/storage unit idea , a good use of space.

I don't have much room so most of my stuff goes up into the attic . Thing is , there is no steps to get up there, just a trap door. you must use a ladder and haul everything UP .

I'm thinking of making some type of strong yet light weight coffin to use/store etc.

But made out of ??? I'll come up with somthing.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
AFTER we bought our house, I realized that, yes a three car garage is cool, but with bedrooms over the garage, we lost the huge area over the cars we had in the old house. It turns out that when rolled up the garage doors are about 28 inches below the garage ceiling. So I built storage over almost all of the garage - minus enough space to access three separate storage areas.

BTW, we found that you can get more into cardboard boxes with straight sides than most of those expensive storage containers - plus they weigh less and are a lot cheaper. FWIW.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Put a cheap floor Over the rafters, took a half day made it not only easier to store, but don't have to worry about falling (me or stuff) thru ceiling. Iin the V roof support placed 2x8 foot plywood boards that created a shelf so don't need to stack as high and easier to get to, installed a pull down ladder in a bathroom, made it much easier to get up there, made a Plywood board slide that coves the ladder makes it easier to push or pass boxes up and down ladder, installed two outdoor flood lights so you don't have to deal with flashlights. other than the ladder most of these was fairly cheap and made getting ot putting away much easier. Took a few years, and going to add more floor this year after Christmas and maybe anouther light.
But what made the difference was using CLEAR boxes so you don't have to open each box looking for something which makes setting up or working on somethin in April easier to find. (this year we added a half sheet paper in the endof the box so it can be read from the outside that we scribbled a easy list of what was in the box.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I store all my props, decorations....etc under my house. We have a crawl space that runs under one half of our house and it is a big area. The only requirement I have when I make new props is that they can be as big as I want but they must all breakdown into smaller 30" x 30" components which is the measurements of the access door. So far I have been able to put everything under there and out of sight, well everything except for my 6' stitting witch. The caldron will not fit through the door so she hangs out in my home office with me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All great ideas...

Thanks for the replys, great ideas, and we all seem to be in the same boat. Too much 'stuff'. Now if I can only find a way to keep the neighbors from calling the cops when I leave a corpsed Bucky hanging in the garage!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have 2 coffins and several other boxes that i store all of my props in. Of course, any large, life-sized props i have purchased go back into their original boxes (easy to identify). Everything is tightly taped closed and all boxes are clearly marked with items that are contained inside. Makes putting everything back after Halloween a snap. I have it down to a fine art! Of course, with 2 life sized coffins in my garage, my neighbors think i am nuts (or a serial killer) and sometimes i have to show them there is no body inside......except of course for my full sized bucky!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found MORE stuff...

Well, we were taking our Christmas stuff, and under it all, I found two more boxes of my Halloween Skulls and lights. Darn, I needed them too! Goes to show it pays to label your boxes well. Happy Holidays.

G

·
0 Posts

My question is, HOW and Where to you store your Halloween items, props, etc. I already have several Rubbermade containers for smaller items and props. OMG just counted have 9 of them... how about you? :eek:
ummm... Are we supposed to be storing our stuff? :D Mine is still not packed away.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I store stuff wherever I can. I have a stack of flat facades on the side of the house.

And I store a ton of stuff up in the attic.

And I have even more stuff up in the workroom, out in the shed, and stored under the deck in the backyard.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
TK421....my attic looks just like yours...

I like the idea of the hooks for the Bluckies...I have about 20 of them still in bags that I plan on using next year and that looks like a great way to store them....although I might try and put trash bags over them to keep down the dust.

and like LTScare, I used lots of boxes that you can get at Lowes/Homedepot pretty cheap instead of totes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow... TK421, can you close that garage door?

I love the Bluckys hanging, and talk about pumpkins! We all need to buy in bulk to save money. I haven't told my wife how much i spent, so... shhhhhhhhhhh quite. thats why I hide stuff in boxes.:)

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
I bought a storage shed last year. It was suppose to house the ferrets for the summer time but a month later it became all halloween. I can hardley get through the door literley and it's a decient sized shed.

Caju12831- We should look in to bulk ordering. I'm down for that if anyone else is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts