Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to make a coffin prop with a lid that pushes open and closed. I'm sure there is a name for this type prop, but I don't know what it is. :) Basically, it is the coffin prop that is chained closed and the lid gets pushed out...typically with lights inside.

I was wondering if there are cheaper options for controlling it besides a PicoBoo controller. I want to use a pneumatic cylinder for the lid movement and have LED lights be triggered inside. Sound would be cool, but not essential. I saw the PicoBoo JR which has 2 outputs, but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option? Oh I should mention, I'm hoping to have it be triggered by a motion sensor.

The PicoBoo controller looks cool, but with everything we're trying to do this year, I don't think it's within the budget.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know there are other options out there, they just slip my mind right now. Google will find results (fright ideas models will be at top of list, so scroll), but I use the pico boo and a boobox flex, and love them. This is my first run at animated other than constant spinning motors, or hacked driveway lights. Customer support is amazing too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
There are a couple cheaper controllers available. Two jump to mind, Halstaff's two button banger, and the 4-button learning controller (PIR trigger, 4 relays/channels, .mp3 sound), see the For sale by merchant section.
However I would in your case give some real thought to just using a slow Christmas raindeer motor to lift the lid from the inside, and let it run.
A $10 solution.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I agree with BobbyA. For a quick, cheap solution I would also use a motor that just runs continuously opening and closing the lid. However, I would use a bit stronger wiper motor for the lifting. I made a coffin with an opening lid four years ago using a wiper motor and it is still going strong.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Good point. I didn't think about the one I made using 2" thick foam in the lid. Very easy to lift. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts