Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards and brand new to the prop building scene, so please be gentle... ;)

I really want to start preparing for my 2016 Halloween early and even build a few props and animations myself (if I'm capable).

Just wondering what you find to be the most essential tools to starting your prop building?

Is it simple things like a hot glue gun and a drill, or something more complex? If you could only have 3 items, what would they be?

I look forward to hearing what you all recommend!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I don't build huge things but for me it's more about materials than tools.
I love:
PVC pipe
Foam Insulation &
Reindeer Motors for animation (although I'd like to get into wiper motors).

I'm thinking at least one of those will be difficult to find in Australia

If I had to go with tools, I'd say a drill, a jigsaw and a sharp exacto knife with a lot of spare blades. (And duct tape. Duct tape is a tool, right?)

Interested to see where this thread goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was actually wondering the same thing...considering I'm new to building props as well.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Besides the usual hand and power tools my 3 go to tools would be a Dremel, heat gun and hot wire foam cutter. If you're going to delve into the electronics, then a multimeter can be your best friend.

·
Registered
461 Posts
OMG only three?? So far there is every suggestion I would pick lol.

Besides normal hand tools and Various sizes of paint brushes.

Must haves: (Gobby is right on)
Drill
Jig Saw
Razor Knife

Wish I had sooner (Halstaff) P.S. had but slacked using them now I wish i hadn't
Hot Glue gun (Duel temp)
Dremel with removable Router attachment.
Heat gun
Torch (butane or propane)
Hot Wire Foam cutter.
PVC Pipe Cutter
Good Tin snips

Btw if your willing to put in the work then you are already capable of making what ever you wish.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had to go with tools, I'd say a drill, a jigsaw and a sharp exacto knife with a lot of spare blades. (And duct tape. Duct tape is a tool, right?)
It's a tool to me! ha ha.

Duct Tape is probably the only tool I own :eek: :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw if your willing to put in the work then you are already capable of making what ever you wish.
Thanks for the encouraging words :D

I am however, the least 'handy man' person possibly in existence ha ha. Despite that, I'm willing and eager to learn and practice and actually gain some skills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts