Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been discussed before but I have a question on actual execution. I am going to get a couple of the window alarms from HF for a couple of my more expensive props I am putting out this year. My question is how do you actually set it up?

What i mean is I know they are simple to set up you have the alarm and then the magnet that it sets against. I can put that on my prop but October is notoriously windy around here so I am concerned with false alarms if the prop moves.

I thought about a zip tie around the 2 pieces but then that calls attention to the alarm if someone tries to take it and they could just switch the alarm off before they cut the zip tie.

Maybe I am over thinking it, the most likely scenario is an attempted snatch and grab, and I doubt they would have something to cut it with.

Just curious how people actually implement them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just looking online and came across this video which might be another option to go with, but again my concern other than actual theft is when something is outside around here in October it will get wind blown. I would hate to have the alarm going off every time the wind blows.

http://lifehacker.com/5932698/protect-anything-from-theft-with-this-2-diy-motion-alarm

I think what I might do is put the alarm under the base of the prop (wrapped in plastic to keep it from getting wet and the other piece on the bottom of the prop itself (since it is magnetic it should not need waterproofed), and let the weight of the prop keep it down. plus it is going to be chained to a tie down stake as well.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Depending on the prop, you might be able to keep everything together with some of those self-adhesive Velcro strips. They would be easy to hide, and should hold up to most winds, but aren't obviously permanent.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Would need to see the bottom of the prop, where she'll attach to the ground. But she's big, that's good. One end of the alarm you can stake into the ground, that will keep it nice and stable. For the prop end you might be able to velcro as already suggested. Another thought would be to put a short wire in. Heavy fishing line for example. One end of the line affixed to the prop, the other to the secured alarm. That way if the wind rocks the prop, the wire absorbs the motion and prevents false alarms.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doh! that is a perfect solution rxnb90, tie a string/wire to the prop and then the two alarm pieces can be together but a little movement would be ok.

I do have a security camera that I ordered that i will be putting up. I didn't get paranoid about this stuff when I had cheaper props out there. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts