Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the promotional hollywood type search light in the sky is expensive. I was wondering if anyone has built there own or knows wattage of light etc. to build one? I live in NY Westchester and most places want approx 525 for 3 hrs a night. Thanks

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Are you looking to make a functional searchlight, or just a prop?
The actual lights use pretty intense sources of illumination (xenon arc lamp - and just the bulbs seem pretty expensive, not including the hardware needed to power them and keep them cool enough not to explode).

If it's simply a prop you want, to accentuate the look of your haunt, you could probably make one with a halogen shop lamp as the light source - perhaps cut a plastic water barrel in half, line the inside with mirrored window film, and put together a framework to hold the lamp away from the sides, pointing in, so the light is reflected out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Spotlight lamps

We bought two of them from overseas (cheaper) and they were $10,000 each. The bulbs had two filaments and were about $750 each. You could see them for 2-3 miles when they were focused properly. There are some lower-intensity ones out there for as low as $4000-$6000. Anything cheaper than that, and you probably don't want it. We bought ours, but I would look into renting if I were you. Be aware you are gonna need some power for this. These are not cheap to run...these take 220v minimum.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read some sights not using Xenon anymore and wanted to know what are they using? Renting they want 525 for 3 hrs a night thats costly for 8 weekends.

·
Registered
510 Posts
HID Headlight Assm

I have a High Intesity 99-01 Acura TL Xenon HID Headlight Inverter Assm. I put the whole assm on ebay for $250.00
If you have intrest in it, I would let it go for $200.00, these components sell for over $700.00.
All you need is 12vdc to make it work.
If you want to try it.
MM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Depending on how far away you want it to be seen and how low the clouds are, you might also look at buying (2) 10 - 15 million candle power flashlights and rigging them to mimic the oscillating motion of the Hollywood lights. These flashlights go as cheep as $20-$50 (at least under $100) and are brutally bright.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts