Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So I want to add a little spectre fun to my cemetery this year (love to have some little ghostie flitting about the tomb stones.) but am not sure how to keep my projector protected from the elements and maybe secure from taking an unauthorized walk. (I live outside Portland, Oregon so we're almost guaranteed rain and where I live there are some folks that believe if they want something they should just take it!) Needless to say we don't let that stop our fun!

Any of you have experience in keeping a projector out of sight and dry in the middle of a yard? I'd love to see photos and hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ive thought about this a lot but have yet to make a secure box for outside use. but i have seen a few on some you tube videos before. usually its a waterproof box made out of wood that is designed to look like a tombstone or something similar. In your case if you could make a hollowed out prop or box so that you can lock everything up with a pad lock. Maybe an old chest that's been water proofed with a skelly or zombie sitting on it. Or even a coffin sitting near a group of skellys digging. You could make it so you can stake it in the ground real well so it would be tough to take it with out a lot of work. Or if you have a fence or something near where you could set up and use chains in your scene so if there's a chain attached to solid structure and your lock box prop it would look like its part of the scene and not something valuable. i may make one this year so if i do ill be sure to share my results. Also if i come across those youtube vids ill post em here. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
What @kindo said.
One thing, projectors can give off a lot of heat so you should consider ventilating whatever box you build.
If there isn't anything nearby you can chain the locked box too, there's things called Earth or Ground Anchors, that whilst not making it impossible to remove, make it very difficult and time consuming to.
There's an example projector box build here : https://www.digitalpressworks.com/box-build-tutorial/ though I'm not sure I'd leave the lens opening uncovered if you plan to leave the box outside for days.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I believe that's one of the videos i saw a while back. never saw that page though. thanks for the link!

·
Registered
80 Posts
In my cemetery I use those fake stones that are designed to cover unsightly elements in your yard like a water pump for example. I cut out a whole on one side to allow heat to escape and the projector to shine through. I also attach the stone to a board wrapped in black plastic to prevent it from absorbing moisture. I also tend to dress up the stones with fake moss and distressing. It is an ultra simple DIY project and lasts forever plus it matches the cemetery theme well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would love to do more projection outside this year, been limiting it to the inside so far. Anyone have any pictures of enclosures you have made? The thing is you have to let that heat escape, if you do that then there is a way for rain water to get in. I need some ideas.

·
Registered
195 Posts
just make sure the vents face down, lots of people use these BUD Air Vents to vent enclosures, you can even fit 12V fans (like computer ones) to them, to suck air out. remember hot air rises so vent at bottom (in) and top (out).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would it be possible to install the projector inside a car to cast images onto a garage door?
Maybe use a moon roof somehow?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts