Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hey Haunters! I need some help for my 2015 yard haunt. I am revamping my whole look this year, my house is going to be the old mortuary and the whole front yard is a graveyard....a BIG graveyard. The front porch is going to be covered with hanging, glowing ghosts of all shapes and sizes. I am using some of the props that I have displayed for years, but there are many, many new ghosts to make, and lots of tombstones to create. Here's where I run into problems. I need to draw from my fellow forum member's experiences so I can go with the best plan for my haunt. I want to incorporate projections in my yard haunt this year. I have one Epson projector that a forum friend found for me on Craig's List and bought on my behalf. It's a really nice projector and I have a DVD player for it, so I have one projector for a singing pumpkin display near the trick or treat candy table. But I also want to have a projector for Mr. Chicken's tombstone projection on one of the tombstones in my graveyard. I just bought the projection last week, and I am super excited about it.:D I think that will really wow and impress people when they come to my yard, it's such a great projection. (So I need a projector/dvd player for that projection) Also I'd love to project flying ghosts or a flying ghost projection in the graveyard, a little further back so that people can't really get close to it, but only view from a distance of 5 or 6 yards. (I'll need a projector/dvd player for that as well, and also come kind of screen to play it on....maybe scrim?) Since I am new to the whole projection thing, do I have to use a projector and DVD player for every projection? (Is there an easier solution?) I'd like to hear from you guys the things you've tried and had success with, your suggestions, etc. I just need some feedback as to which direction I should go. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me. ;)

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know nutting' about projections, but I am signing on to watch the responses and what you come up with! :D
Do you serve snacks while I lounge here? ;)
:D Ha, Ha, I serve wine and beer and shrimp salad with toast points. If you'd like something sweeter I have a really moist coconut pound cake with fresh berries and fresh brewed coffee.;):)

·
Registered
668 Posts
What kind of distance do you have in the yard to cover from where the projector can be placed vs where the projection will land? If you have enough distance, maybe mapping will be the way to go. If you need separate soundtracks, that would be a bit tougher with mapping.

·
2,622 Posts
What's up with your projection projects?
Inquiring minds would like to know :D

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D Well ding dang Robert! After you found the $100 projector for me...and then the $35 dollar unbelievable projector!!! I am at your mercy.... After having received both of them and been pleased as punch...it's all on you....
Yay! :eek:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Isn't Mr Chicken's tombstone a download? You'll need a different solution than a dvd player. I use either small media players like a Micca Speck or stream with a chromecast plugged into my projector's HD port. You can also find projectors with SD cards.

Mapping is cool, but you can't have people walking through your yard.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't Mr Chicken's tombstone a download? You'll need a different solution than a dvd player. I use either small media players like a Micca Speck or stream with a chromecast plugged into my projector's HD port. You can also find projectors with SD cards.

Help me......please.......Barry.....;)

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
;) From being a novice to wanting to be a pro at projections...It's unbelievable.....I am SO ADDICTED! I love the projectors that Bobzilla found for me and I love the projections that I've bought....Me thinks my yard is going to be EPIC this year.:D

·
2,622 Posts
Check out Craigslist Nightfisher.
I've had great success finding many nice projectors through Craigslist
Good luck!

I'm hoping to find a suitable projector and do a ghost projection in one of our windows this year too.

·
Registered
668 Posts

A download can be burned to DVD. I get you cant have people walking through your display if your doing mapping, but then again most people do not let others walk through a display, with all the trip hazards from wires and tie downs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm using this for Mr. Chicken's tombstones. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G46X0OM/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

It's good for that application but not much else. It's the dimmest projector I'd want to use (but it's still totally visible with his tombstones). Good thing is that you can put it like 10feet away. And the videos loop off of an SD card, so it's like an all in one solution.

I'm looking into projecting on my house this year too. It's funny that so many of us are heading in that direction.

One thing I've used in the past are the mini-portable DVD players. We had 2 (for our kids) that they used to use on long car trips. Both have a line out so you can feed a projector from them. Battery powered too. I'd bet you could find some on Craigslist or ebay used for under $50.

Another thing is to look for projectors that have WiFi. I just got an NEC P350x projector that can stream video over WiFi.

Post pictures of your setup!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I just got into the realm of projectors this year also, but I went the expensive route. I got the kit from fright props with the triggerable DVD player. I used wondershare to burn my DVD projections into MP2 files and set them up into the various folders. Now with the push of a button I have many different projections to choose from. I am currently using stuff from Atmosphere, Hallowindows, and Spectral illusions. I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch plexi glass and mounted the screen right onto it. A new Facade for the front of the yard is coming and the screen will set right into a window frame where the projector will be behind and out of the weather. I will be able to run the effects no matter what Mother Nature decides to pull.

·
2,622 Posts

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D Yes, yes, I do have a problem...but Bobby, you are the enabler from h e l l. (ha, ha) Who else would call me at 9:00 pm and be all excited to tell me your were on your way back from picking up projector #4?! Not that I'm not as grateful as can be.....but you are just feeding my addiction.:eek::D (Big Thank You!!!):)

BTW, I burned some DVDs to play on my projectors and I actually burned several projections onto one DVD so now I have some Spectral Illusions and some AtmosFX that play back to back. It's kind of neat because the grim reaper comes out and does his thing, then goes right into a skeleton phantom and then a light carrying ghost comes wafting in. It's very, very cool! Does everyone burn various projections on one DVD so that you don't have to change out the DVDs? If not, you definitely should because it makes the projection so interesting as it changes from one projection to the next. Awesomeness!:D:D

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I picked up a used projector with low bulb hours just before last Halloween, but not in time to figure out what I needed/wanted to do with it for that season. Now I check out threads and read the unintelligible conversations, hoping for some sort of osmotic learning. I guess I need the remedial course (and uninterrupted time to sit down and pore over a tutorial or two.)
I'll be looking forward to seeing what you wind up with, Pumpkin5. I'm sure it will be awe-inspiring!

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:D Ooojen, if you need any help PM me. Here's the way I went. I love the idea of mapping my whole house, but it doesn't work with my new haunt idea. My front porch is going to be covered with glow in the dark ghosts, and my whole front yard is going to be a graveyard. I am going to have the singing pumpkins next to the candy table, and I am going to have Mr. Chicken's tombstone on the front row of the graveyard so all the visitors can see that projection. Then I have some Spectral Illusion and AtmosFX projections of ghosts that will be projected onto scrims in the yard. All my projectors will each have a DVD player and I will have speakers for the Mr. Chicken projection and the singing pumpkins projection. The ghost projections really don't need sound, I want them more ethereal and ghostly. Probably not the cheapest way to do it, but the projectors that Robert found for me are a few years old, all with really low bulb hours, like from 128 to 323, so I have thousands of hours left on each projector but some of the newer innovations are not available on these projectors. I decided doing it the old fashioned way is the best way for me to go. I bought the downloads and struggled for a while trying to burn the projections onto DVDs that I could play in the DVD players. I probably burned 13 DVDs that were just data files.....they play on the computer, but don't play on DVD players. So after some suggestions from Jasper (Mr. Chicken) I was able to download a DVD burner that actually burned DVDs that play on DVD players. (Yay!) I'm up to four projectors now and I think that will be all for this year....but who knows.... I will post my progress and pictures as my 2015 projectorific yard evolves. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts