Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a very long time, I've been fascinated by the haunted mansion in Disney World. One of my favorite things in the haunted mansion is the part of the ride, right before you enter the cemetary, where ghosts appear to be flying up out of the cemetary.

For the most part, I think that I have this effect figured out and I'd like to attempt it in my front yard next Halloween. I'm guessing that all they did was, project ghost images on a piece of the scrim (sp?) curtain that surrounds the cemetary.

Now for my question: Does anyone have any experience, advice or suggestions on a projector that might help me accomplish a similar effect?

I've see the "holiday" projectors, but I have my doubts about them, for the reviews don't sound too conviencing.

Any advice would be awesome =)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, it was projected on Scrim but the effect is easier than a full motion projector...

Projected Ghosts

His Mirror Ball was a little overkill for me, but taking a Simple Motor and Gluing two mirrors onto the post, back to back, and them Projecting the Ghost Image onto it (I have seen ghost cutouts mounted on a flashlight head) then have the motor rotate the mirrors does the same thing...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was projected on Scrim but the effect is easier than a full motion projector...

Projected Ghosts

His Mirror Ball was a little overkill for me, but taking a Simple Motor and Gluing two mirrors onto the post, back to back, and them Projecting the Ghost Image onto it (I have seen ghost cutouts mounted on a flashlight head) then have the motor rotate the mirrors does the same thing...

Thank you so very much! This is awesome =)

·
Banned
524 Posts
check out the video below, I think it might be what you are referring to. It is done using a full motion projector. The 'Holiday Projectors" won't be able to do this because you need to be able to play back DVD or animation from your computer to project it. I have always like the Disney ghosts as well and I am actually going to incorporate something like this into my haunt next year synced to my LOR. Now you all know one of my tricks for next year so Shhhhhh...LoL. I already do this with my Christmas display for my "Santa's Drive-in" that is synced to my LOR.

This is the projector I use. Do projector for the price. Resolution could be better, but for what I use it for, it is perfect.

ViewSonic PJ513DB - DLP projector - 2200 ANSI lume (PJ513DB) - Projectors - 2100-3000 Lumens at Colamco

YouTube - Bates Haunt - Halloween 2006's Haunted Yard

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check out the video below, I think it might be what you are referring to. It is done using a full motion projector. The 'Holiday Projectors" won't be able to do this because you need to be able to play back DVD or animation from your computer to project it. I have always like the Disney ghosts as well and I am actually going to incorporate something like this into my haunt next year synced to my LOR. Now you all know one of my tricks for next year so Shhhhhh...LoL. I already do this with my Christmas display for my "Santa's Drive-in" that is synced to my LOR.

This is the projector I use. Do projector for the price. Resolution could be better, but for what I use it for, it is perfect.

ViewSonic PJ513DB - DLP projector - 2200 ANSI lume (PJ513DB) - Projectors - 2100-3000 Lumens at Colamco

YouTube - Bates Haunt - Halloween 2006's Haunted Yard
Holy cow! That is AWESOME! =) The skeleton running across the yard was totally unexpected! I love it. The sining pumpkins are also, wonderful! You are the projection master!:cool:

Since the whole thing was perfectly suited to your house, I'm assuming that you created the anmimation yourself. I'm also guessing that your no amiture =) So, my questions are: 1) What kind of program can something like that be created in and 2) How difficult would it be for an average Jane like me to create something like it?

Any help and all suggestions will be greatly appreciate =)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I did- I sampled a scene from Fantasia (Night on Bald Mt.) which had numerous ghosts flying. I then fired it on a house to acheive this effect
I LOVE that scene in Fantasia. Do you have any video of your display? I'd love to see it =)

Thanks for the advice :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hallowindow

If you are looking for GREAT animation at a reasonable price, check out the Hallowindow program, there is a thread here somewhere it is spectacular and the price is right, if I recall it was about 30 bucks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just found this thread on the internet, I'm about two years too late. LOL. If you want to create an easy, low tech flying ghost trick I have had really good luck buying slide projectors at a thrift store, getting a slow motor, and creating a slide "wheel" in photoshop, and printing it out on a transparency. I've taken out the slide holder in the projector, and mounted the motor on the projector so the transparency rotates through. It could easily melt, IF the wheel stops turning but as long as it doesn't, the fan will keep it cool enough. I have projected flying ghosts, and done a wheel of stormy clouds moving across a crystal ball. The whole thing could cost less then $10. I am working on another one now, perhaps I can do a tutorial?

·
Registered
105 Posts
sure, tekcor1. Right now, i am doing drawings of new ghosts. I used to have a file, of a wheel of ghosts, but it was lost on one my hard drives. <Shakes fist towards the sky> Cursed computers!!! I may not get this project done by this Halloween, but I will post a how too about it eventually.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts