Halloween Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what my trade offs will be between a short throw and ultra short throw projector for house mapping? Looking at a .5:1 short throw vs a .25:1 ultra short throw projector to cover the front of the house. (65ft) If I use a short throw I will have to set up the projector in my graveyard and then have to deal with projection on the tombstones. An ultra short throw would allow be to place it to the back of the graveyard.

I understand the ultra short throw projects an upward projection. Will that hamper the mapping as opposed to a more direct/forward projection? I have 5 older projectors that are all 4:3 aspect ratio and 1024x768 resolution that will not give me the coverage I need and running multiple projectors on different parts of the house just doesn't seem like the answer. Going to spend some coin on a 3,000+ lumen, 16:9, 1920x1080 projector but want to be sure I'm not solving one issue and creating two more. Any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Projector Focus

Did you purchase a projector yet?

I am also looking for a projector for the front of my house (and have zero experience). The lower front of my house is 35' across and 15' up. I started just looking for the projector with the most lumens with a reasonable resolution. I thought I had found a good choice and decided to ask a few questions about it to an online projector sales rep. He had a hard time wrapping his head around recommending a projector that wasn't 10000 lumens (and a price to match). One thing he did say, that I hadn't read elsewhere, was checking for the projector's maximum projection specs. Lots of the projectors are not designed to focus much bigger than 300" on the diagonal (this worked out to a max of ~20' across for the projector I was looking at).

So I wonder how much farther back you can place your projector beyond its ability to focus before it looks bad?

Based on this, I was thinking that I needed 2 projectors if I wanted to cover 35', not 1 .... so I am very interested to see if you found 1 that you think will work well on your house. The best I have found so far are the Optoma GT1080 (1920x1080, 2800lumens, ~8fL, $675US) and the InFocus IN126STa (3300 lumens, 1280x800, ~7fL, $779US). These both have about a max 300" diagonal image size and a ~.5:1 throw ratio. I am having a hard time justifying the price of either of these projectors but I really want to make sure that if I purchase something it will look good and be worth all the money/effort.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Reload. I just made the same transition . I went from a Benq short throw to an Optoma Ultra short throw.
Luckily Icepick was a huge help with his tutorials and general knowledge answers.
For me personally the biggest issue is the perspective. I don't just project movies etc, I try to transform the house texture..make it look like a castle etc.. This past year I actually projected my house onto my house so that I could make it bleed.

This "perspective change" from your equipment changes your templates and how you go about your mapping. For example.. I brought out the laptop and both projectors and made outlines of my house with my projectors.. This is what the lines looked like when I drew them on the house:
Home Property House Lighting Real estate

This is what my laptop screen looked like using the short throw
Black House Home Red Shed

and this is what it looked like using the Ultra short throw
Black Red House Line Architecture

This changes what you project and how it has to look.. For example, here is the template of my full 7 minute loop that I ran through my UST projector this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkGWR3Xc8M&t=320s

Ultra is the choice of many due to the ability to keep it close to the house rather than in your neighbor's yard etc, but be prepared to "change your perspective"...

The only other thing that may just be me, (Hopefully somebody that made it down this far can put in their 2 cents worth) but it seemed that my mid house looked great while the bottom of the house seemed slightly out of focus.. It could be that I needed to raise up the projector, I will have to troubleshoot when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Spiney and what you are saying makes perfect sense. I ended up going with a short throw instead of the ultra short throw. Projector should be here next week and we'll start working on mapping. Right now we're just testing colors and other effects with a different projector just to see how it responds on the house. I've got some challenges with red brick to work through.

Ended up with an Optoma EH200ST. We'll post more details once we get it and play some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts