Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used projectors in my setup in the past by buying old but high lumen ones off of ebay. I had success with 1080i Dell projectors as well as others, but I always found these older but high lumen projectors to be a huge compromise because they tend to only have vga or older composite vide inputs that require either a computer or old dvd player hookup.

On the flip side, I really like the home depot projectors that are being sold right now that have a handy usb input that lets me easily throw a few files on a flash drive and set the projector up anywhere I see fit. Of course, this projector is super budget and it really doesn't have the light output for serious early dusk displays (personally verified last year).

I know I can find a small media player ($30) plus hdmit to vga adapter to hook up to a somewhat older projector, but those require buying yet another accessory or two, adding to the cost of getting the setup I want.

So my question is does a value projector exist (~$50-80) that has a good amount of light output and has a usb input ?(not those cheapo micro projectors or $40 no-name ones)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. I understand the need for a decent projector for a prime location (main prop, etc.), but what about for use in a cemetery or elsewhere, where the animation isn't the main focus, but another layer to the scene?

There are a few projectors on Amazon in the $30-$50 range which get decent reviews (3+ stars), but I have little experience with projectors and don't know how well they'll work for such applications. I know these have low brightness (~ 200 lumens), but wouldn't know what kind of effects that would be good for.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
There's the Texas Instruments P1+ projectors that are for sale on ebay. They are about $70 and have USB inputs. I've never tried one out to see how bright they are though and they are coming from China so they'll take about a month to get.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There's the Texas Instruments P1+ projectors that are for sale on ebay. They are about $70 and have USB inputs. I've never tried one out to see how bright they are though and they are coming from China so they'll take about a month to get.
Be warned that a USB input does not mean it will play video formats. I can’t say for certain on the Texas instrument one as I couldn’t find it on eBay.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Home depot put the Window F/X projectors (all 3 types) at an insane discount right before and directly after Halloween! I managed to pick up their "Pro" version (high DPI/ Lumens and contrast, with a bluetooth speaker) for $47!!!! The low end version (Window F/X) was going for $22!!! This includes a tripod, 4x6 scrim and a usb with some animations on it!!! Best deal I found yet, but they went quick!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I just picked up a projector from Aldi for $6 that has USB, scrim, and 7 Halloween routines and 5 x-mas routines and pretty loud speaker. No idea of the actual quality, but I set it up and the resolution wasn't terrible, and it looks pretty decent considering what all it can do and you can't beat that price...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ordered an led projector on amazon. Also live in the city and have a very bright street light to deal with and the projector is amazing for $129.00 Super Bright***** Projecting on 3 double hung windows an area about 8'x4' 1/2'

Projector, WiMiUS 4000Lumens Home Theater Projector Support 1080P, 200" Display Compatible with Fire TV Stick/HDMI/VGA/USB/TV/Box/Laptop/DVD/Smartphones White

1 - 11 of 11 Posts