Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
This is my first year using projectors. I picked up the Home Depot (atmosfear kit) projector and I have 2 more higher end projectors arriving today.
I was looking at downloading some of the Atmosfear scenes for my upgraded projectors. I noticed the downloaded versions were more expensive than the DVDs because I believe they are higher resolution. I saw another post where someone commented that unless you have a VERY high end projector ($1000+) that you won't notice the resolution difference. Is that true?

If I decide to go the DVD route, I believe I would have to drag the scenes from the DVD onto a USB stick. (I don't want to drag out my laptop/DVD player).
How do you get the scenes to loop on a USB stick?

thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

For the most part the resolution thing is correct. I notice the dif on movies and home theaters, but not the pumpkins for example.

If you buy the DVD's from Atmos, they would need to be ripped since they are protected. They would also need to be in a format that a player of your choice would need to support. A media player that many swear by, and that I use is called the Miccaspeck G2. You can get it on Amazon for about 40 bucks. You can plug a USB,or SD card into it and loop videos. I used it for my pumpkins.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think all of the Halloween projection effects are pretty forgiving with lower resolution. There is some good detail on the Atmosfear ones but I assume your viewers are also looking at it from a distance. In short, I think any projector that at least puts out DVD resolution 720x480 will do the job. When it comes to Halloween projection effects I think brightness (rated in lumens, foot lambert or lux) is more critical than resolution.

In terms of dragging on to a USB stick, I'd first determine if the projectors you have are capable of playing clips from a USB device. You'll then need to use some software to encode/transcode the DVD clips into files - DVD Shrink and Handbrake should work. In terms of looping, that's really up to the projector (assuming you are having the projector be the player and not another device). Mine has a simple 'repeat all' function that I enable to get it to loop. If you don't have a repeat function you could probably duplicate the clips into one large 2 hour+ clip using some video editing software.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think all of the Halloween projection effects are pretty forgiving with lower resolution. There is some good detail on the Atmosfear ones but I assume your viewers are also looking at it from a distance. In short, I think any projector that at least puts out DVD resolution 720x480 will do the job. When it comes to Halloween projection effects I think brightness (rated in lumens, foot lambert or lux) is more critical than resolution.

In terms of dragging on to a USB stick, I'd first determine if the projectors you have are capable of playing clips from a USB device. You'll then need to use some software to encode/transcode the DVD clips into files - DVD Shrink and Handbrake should work. In terms of looping, that's really up to the projector (assuming you are having the projector be the player and not another device). Mine has a simple 'repeat all' function that I enable to get it to loop. If you don't have a repeat function you could probably duplicate the clips into one large 2 hour+ clip using some video editing software.
Thanks for your reply!
My 2 nice projectors can take USB ports. If I were to go with the download clips from Atmosfear, are those ready to go once on a USB? I'd ask them myself, but I found lately it may take up to a week to get an email back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
My 2 nice projectors can take USB ports. If I were to go with the download clips from Atmosfear, are those ready to go once on a USB? I'd ask them myself, but I found lately it may take up to a week to get an email back.
Yesm they will be good to go on USB.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used AtmosfearFX scenes in one window last year for the first time. It was a hit. I purchased two of the kits from HD to project from two additional windows this year. With three projectors, you'll have a great setup!

I had a combination of SD and HD clips from different Atmos FX products (Bone Chillers, Ghostly Apparitions, Witching Hour, Phantasms). Both the SD and HD scenes looked great with my 720p projector.

I ripped my Bone Chillers and Ghostly Apparitions DVDs and used Windows Movie Maker to add the SD and other HD scenes I downloaded from atmosfx together. This was I could vary them in an order I liked and not just run as "random". I also used WMM to eliminate most of the "black space" in between clips to keep my audience's attention. The completed WMM video was loaded on a Micca Speck and run it as a loop. Someone on the forum recommended the Micca Speck and it's very easy and works with no issues.

As stated above, if you don't want to edit your clips together into one file, just load them onto a USB drive and you're all set.

Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is my first year doing this too, and I plan to have a 'kiddie' loop running in one window (Atmosfearfx Singing Pumpkins, Witch and bumbling skeletons) and another window with scarier stuff like Ghostly Apparitions, Phantasms, etc. I'm wondering really how 'sharp' I want the projection to be if I'm showing ghosts, etc. Maybe slightly lower RES is better? For the witch and pumpkins, which will be in a window, I think a sharper image is going to be preferred.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Always get the sharpest (meaning highest) resolution you can afford. A video can always be scaled down using Handbrake but if you start using 1080p downloads you want to see it in the best possible resolution you can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts