Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this halloween I plan on running three projectors around the house. Two will be projecting onto the windows of the house while the other will be having a go at projecting images onto a suitable scrim in the garden(yard). I just wondered the best way to supply the image to the projectors, I didn't really want to have to source and hook up three seperate laptops or dvd players. Is there some other (cheap) way that you guys achieve this? I'm not very tech savvy

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You will need to have a source for each projector. Be it usb (if the projector can play from a usb drive), DVD player, or laptop. The only way to play on three separate projectors from one source would be computer with three video ports, opening a video player program for each projector. The cables to run to all the projectors would cost far more (depending on distance) than buying three cheap DVD players. If you can specify which projector you have, it may help to determine what the best solution is.

·
Disney Inspired
849 Posts
This is a great question. One that I have struggled with too. Wouldn't a video splitter only allow the same video to play on two sources? I have been looking at using a Raspberry Pi with each of my projectors simply because they are small.

Or, one could use a video splitter, which takes one input and provides multiple outs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes. It would only allow the same video to be output to however many devices. A cheap composite splitter could sent a signal ~200 feet. If multiple, independent videos are required, of course, multiple sources (or one computer playing back multiple videos) is required. Just wasn't sure from original post whether that was a requirement or not. In hindsight, it probably is.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am now using several micca spec-1 g2 units... It is a media player that accepts SD cards, usb sticks etc and allows you to play a file on the projector..they run @39.99 each
Cheaper than laptops and smaller than portable dvd players

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi: It's Jon Hyers, your situation is what I have been researching for more than a decade, on going. I would say Cryptkeepers [I think it was] reply above mine talked about a $35ish dollar portable player? YES something like this, and they are ONLY getting to be more and more in number. I was just on ebay to find the one that I bought and tried, and I found it. I am NOT SURE what happens if I post an ebay link, some forums get upset.

BUT in this case, I am trying to help you out, so here goes: [http://www.ebay.com/itm/H10-Mini-10...SB-MKV-PAL-/331290878554?hash=item4d2279a25a] This is the one I bought, two of them actually, and they are just tiny, smaller than a Makeup Compact. They have standard Video out, and a cable with it, plus HDMI out, and the HD quality I tell you is IDENTICAL to the quality of Final Cut Pro, what I used to edit all my Visual Effects.

If you go to ebay UK and search Media Player, you should have your choice of dozens in the $30.00US range, which is very very cheap. How long will it last??? No Idea. But it will get you going. What I also like about it, is the remote control is just like that of a DVD player. JON HYERS

·
Disney Inspired
849 Posts
Hi: It's Jon Hyers, your situation is what I have been researching for more than a decade, on going. I would say Cryptkeepers [I think it was] reply above mine talked about a $35ish dollar portable player? YES something like this, and they are ONLY getting to be more and more in number. I was just on ebay to find the one that I bought and tried, and I found it. I am NOT SURE what happens if I post an ebay link, some forums get upset.

BUT in this case, I am trying to help you out, so here goes: [http://www.ebay.com/itm/H10-Mini-10...SB-MKV-PAL-/331290878554?hash=item4d2279a25a] This is the one I bought, two of them actually, and they are just tiny, smaller than a Makeup Compact. They have standard Video out, and a cable with it, plus HDMI out, and the HD quality I tell you is IDENTICAL to the quality of Final Cut Pro, what I used to edit all my Visual Effects.

If you go to ebay UK and search Media Player, you should have your choice of dozens in the $30.00US range, which is very very cheap. How long will it last??? No Idea. But it will get you going. What I also like about it, is the remote control is just like that of a DVD player. JON HYERS

Jon, How do these mini media players output sound? Some of my projections have sound and I end up using small guitar amps to get loud sound. Do you think I will get decent sound to push through one of these?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't think the sound quality will be bad at all for any media player. The issue will always be the gain you have coming out of these sources. Typically dvds and vcrs (when they were everywhere) had so-so gain. Simply plugging them directly to powered speakers couldn't put out enough loudness. So we put a stereo receiver (which had a lot more gain inbetween) and achieved desired results.

A guitar amps has lots gain also, since it was meant to be played in front audiences and needed to be designed to play loud. You might want to look at a cheap mini stereo or an old stereo receiver on craigslist or your local goodwill and you'd have all the loudness you need.

Victor

·
Disney Inspired
849 Posts
Perfect, exactly the answer I was looking for. Do you know of any device or PCB out there that can improve the gain of a particular speaker? What you are describing with the DVD and VCR is exactly the problem I'm trying to fix.

I don't think the sound quality will be bad at all for any media player. The issue will always be the gain you have coming out of these sources. Typically dvds and vcrs (when they were everywhere) had so-so gain. Simply plugging them directly to powered speakers couldn't put out enough loudness. So we put a stereo receiver (which had a lot more gain inbetween) and achieved desired results.

A guitar amps has lots gain also, since it was meant to be played in front audiences and needed to be designed to play loud. You might want to look at a cheap mini stereo or an old stereo receiver on craigslist or your local goodwill and you'd have all the loudness you need.

Victor

·
Registered
175 Posts
What about using different outputs from the same dvd player. Don't know if all players are capable of this, but some are capable of outputting on all outputs at the same time. You could use component on one projector, hdmi on another then split the signal on either channel if you require additional feeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts