Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
Just join the site and i'm so excited that Halloween will be here soon so i I wanted to ask a question. I have read and looked and I can never find the right answer. My question is about a projector. I have seen so many questions and some people say low lumes others say high. But every time I see a question asked and nobody that I have seen asked about what kind of projector would be good for the project I want to do. I want to setup a projector outside and have it setup in the front lawn with like zombies or the Skelton that come out the ground. I have a Atmosfearfx don't remember what it is at the moment because I have it in the attic with the Halloween stuff. But let's just say its the Skelton DVD what projector can I use to have that good affect. I'll be using some type of material for the projector to reflect on but it all comes down to what projector can I get to make my Halloween night be a successful night. Also I was thinking of using one projector inside to be on the window would any lumes work for inside or do I still need a high lumes to get a good affect. I want to spend like 100.00 to 300.00 I just thought there was just one type of projector and that's it but no there's DLP, LCD and LED so that's why I need your guidance on this projector mission. Thanks in Advance to all. Deadwalker. :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have three Epson projectors and am very happy with all of them . You won't find a decent projector in your price range new, but there are lots of good used ones on eBay, it's where I got all three of mine.

Important factors to me were:

- Lumens. AtmosfearFX recommends at least 2000 lumens. Will lower lumens work? Some people say yes. My opinion is, if a 2000+ lumens projector can be had in a reasonable price range, why skimp?

- Remaining lamp life. Most projectors have a lamp life of somewhere around 2000 hours. You want to find a projector that has been used less than 1000 hours (or preferably even less). A lot of the projectors for sale on eBay use their low lamp hours as a selling point and state it in the title of the ad.

- Display type. All I can say is all three of mine are LCD and I'm very happy with them. I don't know if LED or DLP would be better or worse.

- Connectivity. What are you going to play your videos on before you send them to the projector? Make sure the projector can handle that. Do you need HDMI capability for a Blu-Ray player? VGA connection from a laptop? RCA? USB? Keep that in mind.

- Audio. This also has to do with connectivity. If audio quality is important to you, you're going to want "audio out" connections for a sound system or computer speakers or whatever you want to use. Otherwise you have the built-in projector speakers that are usually around 5 or 10 watts and nothing impressive. But if you're just doing a window projection from inside the house and nobody can hear the audio anyway, then who cares?

- Keystone Correction. Very briefly: if your projector is not level with your material, if it's on the floor or on the ceiling, the projected image will not be uniform. One part of the image will be larger than the other and will appear distorted and unnatural. Keystone Correction will correct for that and square the picture up again. What I love about my Epson projector is that it also has HORIZONTAL correction, it will also square up the picture if the projector is off to the side of the screen not just above or below. At lot of projectors don't have this feature.

This is one of the ones I use and it works great. New on Amazon it's $599.99 but there are three currently on eBay that are going from $179 to $349.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-EX3212-Projector-Portable-brightness/dp/B008PQA3NU/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437130158&sr=1-5&keywords=ex3212

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Watch Craigslist and ebay for used projectors and compare specs online. This year will be my first using one and I found a Sanyo PLC-XW200 for $45 off Craigslist. MSRP on it was $800 when I looked it up! The bulbs for the good projectors are expensive so by buying one used with a decent bulb life left it becomes affordable to just use it till the bulb dies, then find another used one.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have a total of four projectors. They range high lumens 2000 to 100. All are from Craigslist and all were 100-200 dollars. It's my favorite place to buy them. I look everyday. I have LED and regular bulb projectors also. In most cases when buying off craigslist you can always haggle a little bit with the seller so that's a bonus and you can see them working. I like to see the quality of the picture, and can check bulb hours also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JCO,
I see that a lot of people get there projector from eBay. It's just like a hit and miss when you buy from there you could get a great deal like you could get a lemon. Amazon you don't like it you return it. But I know the price difference is huge. It took me awhile to figure out about the lumes but I guess I'll go with higher and I did see that atmosfearfx recommends 2000 lumes or higher. My plans for this prop is to setup the projector in front of my home somehow comouflage covered and pointing at a frame that I'm going to make and look for a cloth, plastic or something grey but transparent. I still need to test this but first I need the projector to try it out. I read a few people recommend this type fabric so that will be something else I'll be looking for. So my vision is to cover the frame with that mesh they sell at the Halloween stores that come in green or black so you can not really see the frame and with the help of the projector make it look like creatures are coming out of the ground or sprits just coming out of thin air or whatever DVD I get. I have like 8 moving props I brought from Sprits best time to buy after Halloween 50% off everything cant beat that. This year is the first year I will be using projector and I want to start now and not wait till October rolls around. Now if anybody has any ideas on how I can setup they are most welcome. Now I was thinking on DVD player to run to projector but some people has had issues with there DVD coding not reading it. Also I was thinking of going USB or Simm card ether way I'll look for a projector that has these feature just in case one fails to work I'll have options. Audio I'll use a old pair of computer speakers that i have a good bass to them so there I wouldn't have to buy those. . Now I didn't now about the Keystone Correction I'll have to look into that when I'm looking at the specs. Thanks for the info JCO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Danski I'll be looking into that site. Everybody that replies has three or four wow is that going to be me in a couple of years hahaha. I guess it's like the tattoos I have I started with one and now I can't stop. Lol. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now if anybody has any idea on how I can setup the projector and make a wood frame or a frame out of something I would appreciate it. I'm just thinking putting the projector in the bushes of my front yard and projecting the image to this frame I want to make. That's it simply. What you guys or girls think? Thanks all for your comments love the information that's in the site. Deadwalker out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just want to add to jco's post. Lamp type doesn't relate to lcd, dlp, or lcos. Those terms are for the display types.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for the info Danski I'll be looking into that site. Everybody that replies has three or four wow is that going to be me in a couple of years hahaha. I guess it's like the tattoos I have I started with one and now I can't stop. Lol. Thanks for the info.
That could very well be you. I don't even need any and I am looking at a very nice one for a low low price. I know what you mean about the tattoos. I'm with ya there. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This projector is 55 dollars. Are you kiddin me. I don't need one and I'm tempted to pick it up.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5125023501.html
If anyone lives near----this looks like a good deal.

·
Registered
719 Posts
just remember if you're planning on using a modern bluray player or dvd player, you'll probably need a projector with at least one HDMI port

·
Registered
683 Posts
HDMI would make for a sharper picture but is not necessary, imo.

Projections for halloween range from either pumpkins to window rear projections to ghost images over the yard or across hallways. Using composite (what many refer to as the Yellow RCA) will more than do the job admirably on these projections. Also, viewing them is non-critical, meaning there are so many other distractions in the your haunt, that when you do see them, its just a another added element to the whole, rather than what you should primarily be searching for.

In the end, save the HDMI feature for critical viewing, like when you're watching movies/TV/sporting events in a home theater setting. If your projector purchase will be used for this in addition to haunts, them yes, strongly consider the hdmi option. Otherwise, composite works just fine.

Victor

·
Registered
719 Posts
Victor, most modern DVD/Bluray players have HDMI out only so unless you have some sort of converter plug you're gonna need an HDMI port on the projector

·
Registered
719 Posts
All dvd/bluray players have composite out (yellow RCA) in addition to the HDMI plug, so HDMI is not necessary.

Victor
my brand new Samsung Bluray player does not have anything other then a HDMI out.......so I'm going out on a limb and say people should look at their DVD/Bluray players to make sure you get a projector that can connect to it with as little fuss as possible

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I think the newer ones are coming with hdmi connections only. A bit back they had both. The most recent one I bought was hdmi only.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts