Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Epson powerlite 98H. I also have a tall bay window. I would need to display the video vertically. I assume this means I need to turn the projector on it’s side and show a video that is formatted for vertical. I am requesting help with ideas on how I can keep the proctor on its side and at an angle. Another issue to consider is the air vent is on the left side with I believe would be on the bottom if turned sideways. Any help is appreciated. And of course please correct me if this is not the way to do this. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've heard of people doing this and I think it's a really bad idea, especially because it blocks the air vent as you said. If someone wants to destroy their expensive projector or burn their house down, hey, go for it.

I can only think of two solutions. The first is to play the video in normal orientation and back the projector away from the window until the image is the size you want. The other is to go online and download a video editing software (some are free) that can rotate the image. I use iSkysoft (also known as Filmora) to edit all my projection videos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer. Please let me clarify. I know how to rotate the video if needed. Actually AtmosFX comes with vertical video already. I am looking for advice on how to safely and securely turn the projector to display vertical video. I know other people have done this here. Hence why I am looking for advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ran into this issue last night when testing mine out. Projecting horizontally makes it to where I have to pull the projector back to the 10-15 ft range. Projecting vertically helps a ton because it reduces the length to between 5-8 ft. I have two projectors, one is a little box projector and sits upright with no issue whatsoever. The other is more rounded like yours. The only thing I can think to do is build a little cage out of 1x2s or 2x2s to 1) raise it off the surface so there is unblocked airflow and 2) make it more secure so I can tilt it to the angle it needs to be. Definitely following this to see if anyone has any more ideas.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your projector might have a screw mount installed in the bottom. If you have a tripod, you can use that to tilt the projector 90 degrees. Its a long shot, but its an option if your projector has it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm gonna also say that this is a no-no, do as I say not as I do situation. Hot, fire, vents important, projector not meant to go sideways, catastrophe will ensue, etc., etc., safety first.

But, uh, I use some metal book-ends. Mine have an opening that allows the air vent a hole - DON'T BLOCK THE VENT. Maybe try to find ones that are metal mesh, which will allow more flexibility for this. I also only run the projector a couple of hours on Halloween night, not for a few weeks, and it's a cheap projector specifically for this.

As for mounting at an angle? I think you'd have to build something. A tripod would really be best if it has the mounting for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMG_8672a.jpg

For one of mine a made a stand out of a wood base, a couple of pipes and pipe flanges. The top one is attached to a piece of ABS that I had lying around. Can easily Bungee cord the projector to it. Plenty of air circulation on all sides.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You need to check the specs for that specific projector. I have seen projectors that tell you not to adjust the projector more than 15 degrees, some have unlimited mounting positions. It boils down to the type of lamp as some of them were designed to operate in a certain position only. I would speculate the LED projectors can be mounted in any direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good idea to check the specs... before buying the projector if possible. I've heard that before too, but I struggle to find any scientific basis whatsoever that direction of the pull of gravity makes any difference on heat dissipation in a projector. Of course "hot air rises" due to the fact that it is less dense, but all normal projectors have active cooling (i.e., a fan) that's forcing fresh air past the bulb at all times. It would reflect very poorly on the manufacturer for the active cooling to be so poorly designed so that it would still overheat but for the fact hot air would rise and that gravity was the only thing eliminating pockets of heat that weren't disrupted by the fan. Also, most projectors can be table or ceiling mounted, which is a full 180 degree change, with no problem. There are also many thousands electronic devices that use passive cooling only and have no orientation limitation, so I'm not sure what the deal is for some of these projector manufacturers. I'm going with industry myth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts