Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 1 projector and am borrowing another from my work so that I can do 2 AtmosFearFX effects for my (huge) Halloween party Saturday.

I'm having a lot of trouble, however, with the projection onto a door. AtmosFear makes it sound very easy to hang a net-like material in the doorway and project from behind, and we have the 'gathering ghouls' projection that is made just for that. Except - we can't figure out how to hide the light from the projector! Projectors don't have lights that move or rotate right or left so that you can project from an angle (as AtmosFear FX website suggests), so the image is strangely distorted with one side tall and the other side short. And in any case, you can STILL see the projector light even when off to the side.

We've tried up high shining down, down low shining up - we just can't figure out how to get the image centered where people will see it but have the projector somewhere where the light won't be like a huge bright flashlight into our otherwise-dimly-lit party space.

Any ideas? Anyone successfully pulled off a doorway projection like this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go to walmart and buy a $4.00 Frosted shower curtain. I have tried 3 different types of netting, sheer curtain and other materials. Also I tried doubling, tripling and quadrupling the mesh and it still does not help, the image is poor and the light shines through too much.

The frosted shower curtain works very good. No you cant see through it but the visual effect is 100x better than the mesh. I think the mesh only looks good via video.

Here are a couple of mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USnluIrJKmI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4rT34ZBjxk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sounds like another case of someone using an office projector. When it comes to inside projections, less is always more.

What I would suggest is getting yourself a big mirror and trying to project the image onto the mirror and reflected onto the shower curtain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It also helps to turn the projector on quit mode or light on low. It's hard not to buy an office projector when you can get decent DLP ones for $40. BTW I watched the review on the CHEAP LED projectors that has been posted for a while and ended up order the one he recommended for $20 but it wont be here until November. I will be interesting to see how that one works.

I find the shower curtain works VERY good for windows especially since I really dont want anyone seeing into my house at 1am. I leave them run for a good part of the night to entertain my neighbors.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
$2 shower curtain from Walmart. I highly suggest the WHITE, not frosted. Throw it in the dryer for about 1 min on LOW HEAT to get the fold marks out.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for the keystoning setting - it adjusts for the image distortion when the projector has to be at an angle to the screen. It allows you to set the projector off to the side and hide the glare.

Just remember to reset it back to center if it's property of your work - next person using it will freak out and may not know how to adjust it, then claim you broke it (said from experience).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've played with the doorway hologram a bit and found with a rear projection, I was able to set the projector to a side far enough the image was not overly distorted. I only focused on the image and not the "picture frame" which I just let overlap the doorway opening. I figure ghostly images need not be "perfect". But, the two doorways I used had a wall or doors along one side so nobody could move over far enough to see the projector. I also had lighting behind the mesh that killed the beam of light.

Having said that, if you are trying to get a good effect in a very dark environment, that may be a challenge that requires some testing and sacrificing in areas. More lighting, beam showing, bleed through of projection, and the shower curtain screen are some that come to mind. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
$2 shower curtain from Walmart. I highly suggest the WHITE, not frosted. Throw it in the dryer for about 1 min on LOW HEAT to get the fold marks out.
Are these curtains made of fabric or vinyl/pvc? I tried a search for these on Walmart's site and didn't have any luck finding them. I'm assuming since you've put them in the dryer that they are made of fabric. I've used a white sheet before with good results and wanted to know if these shower curtains are made of similar material.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are these curtains made of fabric or vinyl/pvc? I tried a search for these on Walmart's site and didn't have any luck finding them. I'm assuming since you've put them in the dryer that they are made of fabric. I've used a white sheet before with good results and wanted to know if these shower curtains are made of similar material.
The shower curtains are plastic. Putting them in the dryer on low for about a minute or so just heats them up enough so the creases from being folded relax.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
They're vinyl. That's why I said use the dryer on LOW HEAT for only about a minute. A white fabric sheet will show the projector "hotspot" badly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They're vinyl. That's why I said use the dryer on LOW HEAT for only about a minute. A white fabric sheet will show the projector "hotspot" badly.
Thanks for the quick response J-Man! For $2 each I wondered if they were made of vinyl, but I wanted to make sure before I purchased anything.

I do have one more question on these. Does the projection appear through the curtain only during complete darkness or can you see the image at dusk as well?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Thanks for the quick response J-Man! For $2 each I wondered if they were made of vinyl, but I wanted to make sure before I purchased anything.

I do have one more question on these. Does the projection appear through the curtain only during complete darkness or can you see the image at dusk as well?
A lot depends on your projector, a decent projector will show the image even at dusk. The darker you can keep the room behind the screen, the better the image will be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A lot depends on your projector, a decent projector will show the image even at dusk. The darker you can keep the room behind the screen, the better the image will be.
I have one good projector (a used Mitsubishi from Ebay), one AtmosfearFX LED projector and one Shift3 Black series projector. I'm not too sure how the Atmosfear FX or Shift3 will do at dusk, but the rooms they will be located in will be completely blacked out.

Would a vinyl table cloth work as well or is the material too thin?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have one good projector (a used Mitsubishi from Ebay), one AtmosfearFX LED projector and one Shift3 Black series projector. I'm not too sure how the Atmosfear FX or Shift3 will do at dusk, but the rooms they will be located in will be completely blacked out.

Before I purchased my pulldown screen for backyard movies, I used an old king duvet and a $1 white shower curtain liner from Dollar Tree pinned together. They were hung from my pergola. I could still see the (reverse) image from the projector on the back side through both the duvet and curtain. The DT white shower curtain by itself worked quite well and it is pretty thin, almost like a cheap vinyl tablecloth. If I were not going with a holographic look with my AtmosFX, I would use that $1 shower curtain.

I think a vinyl table cloth would work as well... but, you'd have to test it to be sure.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

As 6-paq said, the table cloth may work fine but I haven't tried any. If it's too thin you may see the hotspot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As 6-paq said, the table cloth may work fine but I haven't tried any. If it's too thin you may see the hotspot.
I just wanted to share a video of my display. I ended up using the Walmart $2 white vinyl shower curtain liners for both of my bedroom windows along with the Standard Window Projection Material that came with the WindowFX kit from AtmosfearFX for the small window in the center of the house. The shower curtain worked out great. Thanks J-Man and 6-paq for your assistance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For our window projections on the 2nd floor we just removed the window shade and stretch out the white windows sheer. Its pretty thin and you do not see the light thanks to the viewing angle from the ground outside the house.

Last year we used a more sheers to project onto our open garage but could easily see the light. Tried the frosted shower curtain this year and it worked out great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts