Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've done the research, I've viewed the web sites, I almost built one. Just a few questions and I know it depends on how they are made, the theme, and locations of the set up and all those other factors.

• How effective are these, ie do they look real/cool
  • I can't afford a LCD projector, do they work well with slide type projector?
  • How dark does the surrounding need to be
  • Can this be done outside or would the stray light from houses, stars, sky ruin the effect
  • Any good sites you can recommend for these
  • Wanted multiple ghosts flying different directions, I thought of using a mirror splitter anyone ever try this?
Here is a projector unit seems nicely built but is nearly $100, I think I could make something way cheaper but this looks nice and would need modifying this is not the image/effect I want LOL

I know these are very OPEN/NEWBIE questions but wanted to through it out there anyway.

Thanks for any input ideas you can share on this!
-PB

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, one step closer :D I stopped at GW, still kicking myself for dumping my old slide projector, but $5 isn't bad and I think I can make this work.

now to dig out my mirrors and some motors I have lying around, hopefully I didn't toss those too. :confused:

-PB

·
Registered
490 Posts
Here's a couple more ideas for you...
1) attach 2 servos to your mirrors, x/y, to move the ghost around under control
2) whether using servos or motors, put something in to block the projection at certain points - that way it looks like the ghosts just 'appear', move a ways, and then disappear. You could use another servo for this, or just use fixed baffles.

What do you mean by 'mirror splitter'? You might want to experiment with diffraction gratings. I'm not sure if these would work well with a filled-in projected image, but they work great with lasers to split up a single image into a grid of images.

- Hook
PS: some LCD projos can be had for very cheap now.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NOTE TO SELF:

Slides go in upside down to project right side up on wall :p

Well I got some parts together. My small 3 rpm motors and a slide carrage with mirrors that seems like it will out.

Here is a simple slide I made just to get an idea. I think I"m gonna mount the mirror at a 45 to the projector and see if I will still have clearance for the motors. Let see how this goes

I will start experimenting with back drops soon. I want to get the mechanics working 1st and more solid than what I have been doing, holding with my hand LOL

-PB

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
About 5 years ago I made my own rotating mirror mechanism to attach to a cheap holiday projector:

It worked fine, but the mirrors are really too big. I never did use it in the yard, but I still have it somewhere. LOL

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Here is a projector unit seems nicely built but is nearly $100, I think I could make something way cheaper but this looks nice and would need modifying this is not the image/effect I want LOL

Thanks for any input ideas you can share on this!
-PB
I found one of these online for $39 and it works ok....not near as bright as the picture leads you to believe though. You could build the same thing using a Christmas type mirrored ball ornament (I built one for a friend using a 3" ball and a spot light) and an ornament spinner motor (they run on a 3 - 5 volt supply).
The mirrored ball gives you multiple images at several angles.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree these are not very bright, I have one and have used it in a very dark room in my haunt in a rear projection situation on gauze and it worked ok.

But it doesn't work like the picture would have you believe.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I found one of these online for $39 and it works ok....not near as bright as the picture leads you to believe though. You could build the same thing using a Christmas type mirrored ball ornament (I built one for a friend using a 3" ball and a spot light) and an ornament spinner motor (they run on a 3 - 5 volt supply).
The mirrored ball gives you multiple images at several angles.
I've been through 2 of these (the company replaced the first one) Then the second one broke so I used the mirror balls, projectors and my BBQ Rotisserie to create the same effect. So I was able to be a little creative with the parts to get the effects to go in different directions. Overall, I do not recommend this product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts