Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ia a random thoughts thread:

I was just going through Camsauce's thread on his horse projection. He did a great job on the projection. In the thread, Mr Nightmare commented: "Soon, an entire Haunt will be a projection, which will make a easy set up and take down! "

Do you think that is the way Halloween is going? That prop building will be replaced by projections? I've built a horse, four to be exact and I start thinking, if I had a projector I could save on building materials, fog machines, motors, pneumatics...all that stuff and just buy a projector and download a copy of someone's projection file. Or I could learn to program and make horses that do movements I can't accomplish with my current prop building skills. It would save a lot on setup and teardown not to mention storage.

I know people with whole house projections that I haven't seen in person since I can just watch the show on youtube. Most I've seen I don't care for because there are lots of random things flying around with little focus on a theme. (Yes, I do also critique folks who think you should have a theme) This is one area where I think themes might be better. I like the individual "prop" projections like Camsauce's horse.

The singing pumpkins are another projection. I think they are pretty cool, but I don't have any because I don't think they would fit in with my "theme" nor my lightorama.

As projections become more and more popular will they all be the same? Storebought or downloaded? How many people are going to take the time to learn how to create their own? Is it really any difference than everyone buying their props at the Halloween stores or for that matter copying the work of others...how many of you have a zombie baby or a cauldron creep?

Are the originals a dying breed because through today's media you can see/copy other's work easier. Their's guys like Pumpkinrot and Stolloween that many try to emulate and other's like UnOrthoDox who's work is one of a kind.

I have a singing face for my lightorama, although I haven't seen another like it, its still copying another's idea.

Just pondering what I can do next year that isn't like everyone else....and what I still want to copy that others have done.

Like I said...random.....got to get back to the spreadsheets

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A few yrs.ago I wrote that a large empty room,a fog machine and a small trailer located centrally could be the next "Haunted House".
Lasers could "erect" walls off of the fog.
The "season" is over? Unplug.
Fold a few things back into/onto the trailer, don't forget to hook-up those trailer lights! Away you go!
Recently several daytime groups of "Haunt Owners" found my Ravens Grin Inn and the huge majority of them were Very Impressed by the amount of sheer work I have done here along with the fact that I try to NOT COPY other people's "Stuff".
Others usually will not have the time to do my routines within the confines of their haunts,but then I use a silly attitude as I entertain others instead of uncontrolled,manic/killer-Psycho thing.
Although many see me as "Scary". which is also OK with me and what i am trying to do here.
The last Haunt Owner who visited recently, told me via the ticket window after I had taken the two of them through my place, that I can have a very "Dark" and "Scary" vibe I give off. (That's just "me!)
My list of "Props" I use here on a regular basis includes garbage bags,a plastic top from a can of spray paint,a pair of broken sheet metal shears.
This entire house and property are decorated by old things,odd things,things I built from old,odd things, but then it IS an old house,built in1865.
I have my own personal collections on display, my own artwork,drawings,sculptures.
I have built many special features inside the house,things just like a old haunted house might have,secret doors,hidden pathways,a tunnel,and it is a seven-level structure going below ground two levels.
Just a few more "Taps" on the hammer and the new roof will be completed!
I do believe that "Life" is too "Short" to spend it copying other people's "Stuff!" (Not meant to insult anyone or belittle anyone else's efforts at all.)
Whatever "Works" for You or works for anyone.."Works"! and that is where success lives,within things that do work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm thinking about projections for next year. I still have a lot of learning to do, so now's the time to start.

There is plenty of room for more innovative uses, and to really do it right, I think you need to be able to create your own projections. I plan on creating a more subtle use for them...it seems a good strategy for a first timer.

Also, I think with projections, you will still need some physical props, if at least to project on to.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
There's no evading the fact that consumer grade tech is now on par with (and likely exceeds) the tech that was solely in the realm of the entertainment industry just a few years ago. Tiny projectors suited for solo item animations, video editing and animation software, audio editing, and hardware that can interact with digital data (trigger routines as well as be triggered by them) are all items that have become affordable to many of us, and have become simple enough to use that it no longer requires an advanced college degree to be effective, if not proficient.

So, yeah...the digital display is just going to become more and more prevalent.

This has very little bearing on the walk-through haunted houses, where the inclusion of some digital effects will add to the overall flavor and experience - apparitions, things moving on their own, and sounds without source are all great ways to create an atmosphere - but there will need to be that physical interaction to really make the guests jump, scream, cower, laugh, and hopefully do all at the same time.

As Arthur C. Clarke has said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Since we're all just trying to make a little magic, it follows that tech may need to be involved.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Projectors are cool. I ran singing pumpkins this year. I also ran atmosfearfx witch videos. I see them as haunt enhancement - they add a wow factor. But, projections aren't scary for the most part. Lets face it, for most of us half the fun is scaring the crap out of moms and little kids. A guy in a mask coming after you with an chainsaw is scary. Things that suddenly pop up out of bushes and trashcans are scary. Dead looking things on the ground and hanging in trees set up the spooky vibe.

I do see the hobby going in the high tech direction, but I believe that will be driven by arduino and Raspberry Pi. The availability of these simple micro-controllers opens up possibilities for prop control that were only an option for seriously electronically skilled people before. These things will allow you to create sophisticated control sequences for prop activation, sound and lights for very little cash. You can buy arduino clones and add on boards over ebay that ship directly from china for a few bucks each. I used to pay $60 bucks a pop for glorified timers that could only control 1 outlet. So there's the hook for the technically inclined to get involved in the hobby. We are no longer weird. We're now cool, because we're "makers".

What I have also seen in recent years is that people with some amazing artistic skills are starting recognize halloween haunting as an outlet for their skills also. The bar is getting set seriously high here. If you haven't seen the videos of the guy and his wife on this site who build Maleficent's throne, you should look it up. What they did is art with a capital A. Or, check out the guy who built a pirate ship exploding out of his house. The scale and extremes to which some haunters are going now make what we were doing a dozen years ago look like mickey mouse stuff. Things I was proud of then, I would hide in the shed now. My jaw drops regularly to see what some folks are doing now. It has inspired me to up my game....psst don't tell my wife, she doesn't know yet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like to think of projections as a supplement to a display, not the whole display. A feature of, not THE feature. That's how I usually see them done, that's how we did ours this year. The more layers to a haunt, the better, I think...and projection is just 1 layer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I feel that a marriage of the two is the best.
I have been house mapping and projecting on my house for two years now (after watching IcePick's tutorials). I project a castle stone exterior on my house, but I feel that my cemetery really helps sell the effect.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks Scatterbrains, Your post is real food for thought!

I am now thinking of your post almost as a challenge haha!
I can save my lower back (all of my stones are in the crawl space..) and attempt a full projector halloween display ,

Few projectors and some no see um netting ...the gears are rolling

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Are the originals a dying breed because through today's media you can see/copy other's work easier. Their's guys like Pumpkinrot and Stolloween that many try to emulate...
A couple thoughts.
In my opinion/observation, the materials change, but it's always the case that some people buy off the rack and others want to do their own design and tailoring. When I was a little kid (several years ago) some people bought costumes for their kids, and others sewed or otherwise created them. Some of the home-made costumes were simple and quick, and others were pretty involved an elaborate. A few years later stores started offering a variety of light-up "carved" jack o'lanterns, but some people still chose to make their own, and over time the designs ranged from simple, old styles to intricate scenes. It got so you could buy pumpkin-carving patterns, but a lot of people still design their own, simple or intricate, and some buy electric-lit foam pumpkins pre-made.
When photography became widely available, it didn't make people stop painting. I don't imagine readily-available projections will make everyone drop 3-D props or have the result of no one designing their own. I think some people will go all high-tech, some will mix, and some will hold on to the old.
Are originals a dying breed? Depends on what you call original. Pumpkinrot might have a defined style, but he built on a long line of other people's ideas-- the scary viney pumpkin-head creature, the evil scarecrow, the carved lighted pumpkin, the carved turnip. It goes back centuries, and people add to and change, and develop their own styles. Some of us might look at Pumpkinrot's stuff and "copy" it, but at the same time tweak it to suit ourselves, leave our own mark, develop our own direction...just as he looked at others' work and developed his own style. (Think how many painters jumped on the Impressionist bandwagon, and yet there were many distinctive painting styles within the Impressionist style.) I don't believe creativity will cease to exist just because others' ideas are so readily accessible. If anything, I'd like to think it will give us a leg up when we go our own directions.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
We were told (many yrs.ago) that a man spent a ton of $ every year at the Halloween trade show,he put all of these expensive displays into a large ,nice,building and tried to run it as a "Haunted House". (YAWN! )
It became what it already was, just a display of random examples of somebody else's work.
If he would have called it a "Museum",it might have worked for that?
My own nightly challenge (to myself) will always be to entertain others, and maybe elicit a "start" or two from them,allow them to have and enjoy a relieved "Laugh" or two.
I have an extreme advantage in the fact that my house is old and creepy to many people,which gets them "Started" before they enter.
Photos of the exterior do not do this place "justice"as recently observed by some Pro-Haunt owners,it is much more impressive in-person that ANY mere picture has ever come close to capturing.
The recent first time visits from all of those Haunt owners had them reveling in the plain and simple,original things I have made and use here.
One even almost came right out and said he would be copying my "Tower" and it's totally non- mechanical,non-electrical "Effect". Build it once,don't have to plug it in,continues "working" 365 days and nights with no moving parts (It is a visual effect.) Using no mirrors.
Besides all the "Stuff" here I have made or collected,my entertainment relies heavily upon my own storytelling, and persona,which will always involve my mind which seems ready to run this "race" through my old house whenever some one arrives at the door to pay for their admission.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had been worrying a bit about that. If projections get too popular, you will end up seeing the same effects all over the neighborhood, and the impact is reduced.

I've been noodling on the idea of using projections to enhance my mad scientist props. some strategically placed screen material,and suddenly my machinery can smoke, spark, arc, et cetera, all quite safe.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I suspect that by the time everyone in the neighborhood has the same projections, there will be something new and completely different out there for the Pioneers. (I'm subject to fits of optimism sometimes.)

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
I don't see projections ever totally replacing props, but I think there is a lot of room for them to work together better than they are now. Things like Mr Chickens' tombstone projection. Now take that and expand it to other prop/projection items and I can see big displays of numberous "projected" props.

and other's like UnOrthoDox who's work is one of a kind.
You flatter me too much, I'm afraid. My inspiration just comes from different places than most people.

My most celebrated 'original' piece is probably the Chimera.

It's ripped right out of concept art for Magic the Gathering. Or, rather, a description for their concept of the concept art, they don't have a piece quite like it, but I wanted to make THIS:

The cobblesmiths could only spare a few tools, bones, or scraps of wood to create the things, which caused the scarecrows to move in an unsettling, herky-jerky way. Some say the first scarecrow-makers used the enchanted wood of dead treefolk, and their movements are indicative of the wood’s intrinsic rage. Whatever the cause of their strange movements, they didn’t do their jobs very well, but at least when dark things in the night snatched them away, the farmers hadn’t lost much.

Over time, as farmers moved or passed away, some of the scarecrows remained. Most of them continue to try to perform their intended actions, but removed of their context, their actions seem bizarre and inappropriate. A scarecrow designed for scything grain, for example, can seem menacing when it comes at you in the dark, its sickle-arm raised high and its empty eyes trying to decide whether you are ripe for mowing.
Other pieces come from a jumble of places, but they are usually based on something I've seen or read somewhere.

Ye Olde Clash of the Titans seems to be a recurring one. Calibos had a heck of a home in the swamp.

·
>^..^<
803 Posts
I had been worrying a bit about that. If projections get too popular, you will end up seeing the same effects all over the neighborhood, and the impact is reduced..
Actually a neighborhood filled with ghosts writhing in all the windows sounds great to me. Especially if someone were walking down the street, and you could coordinate them to all turn on at once...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Actually a neighborhood filled with ghosts writhing in all the windows sounds great to me. Especially if someone were walking down the street, and you could coordinate them to all turn on at once...
I love your attitude-- emphasis on the FUN rather than having to be sole star of the show.
We just have to keep tapping into the creative mindset if we want to stand out.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
We recently got everything out of storage. My husband's old projector was in tthere and I am considering using it BUT I will not use anything store bought. I don't even like to buy props if I can help it as I like to DIY it all. Not sure how I will use it yet, but I am thinking about it.

·
crossfit zombie
7,660 Posts
I will use projections as a supplement to real props.I am digging all the new projections the cool factor off the charts.and I love the idea of easy up easy down.But I love making props with my hands plus unless the projections are weather protected the weather dictates use.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts