Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What material works well as a projection screen for a cheap price?
2) What screen works best if price is no object?

The application is setting up a projector inside the house, pointed at a window with a screen in front of it, to display an image thru the window to people outside the house.

thanks in advance
Ross

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A "Frosted" shower curtain or shower curtain liner works, as does plastic sheeting from Home Depot.

As someone who bought actual rear projection material for an effect I added to my display this year, I feel like a total idiot for buying it, since it's not much different from a shower curtain that I could've bought for less than $10 (the material cost me about $150 on ebay, so I couldn't return it).

Here's a link I found yesterday about how to create a cheap rear projection screen using plastic sheeting from the hardware store: http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php/topic,222.0.html

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Frosted is not recommended, too much hotspotting. Plain white works. Another one that I haven't tested but would probably work is the white plastic tablecloth material you can get just about anywhere.

Victor

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
I've been using dollar store white shower curtains & they work great for my rear projections - cost efficient & works great for a buck !! A black scrim cloth in front of white shower curtain helps in daylite / dust time.....

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
A "Frosted" shower curtain or shower curtain liner works, as does plastic sheeting from Home Depot.
As someone who bought actual rear projection material for an effect I added to my display this year, I feel like a total idiot for buying it, since it's not much different from a shower curtain that I could've bought for less than $10 (the material cost me about $150 on ebay, so I couldn't return it).
Dminor, thanks for sharing your experiences with "official" rear screen projection material. I'd wondered about that, because Dollar Tree shower curtain liners were working well for my particular needs.This will save me a lot of money. Thought if I bought the "real" stuff that it might significantly boost the output/brightness of my cheaper projectors (the Wonderwalls). Doesn't sound like it would.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I like to use muslin. It's cheap, easy to get, and comes in very large pieces.
You can buy one yard of 120 inch wide muslin for around 6 bucks. I use this for rear projections as well as for painting backdrops. You could even buy a piece large enough to cover the front of a house. Any fabric store should sell it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've found that a nice inexpensive roll of landscape fabric does the trick for me, it's a darker gray color so it blends or hides well and it allows a nice matte projection either from the front or rear. Oh.....also.....it's bio-degradable as an added bonus!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I project thru a ground-level window by my front door, won't the projector it's self be visible to trick-or-treaters approaching from the street thru the shower curtain screen? This is the best window in my house for projection, but because it's at ground level I'm afraid I'd have to mount the projector low and use a mirror to bounce the image up onto the screen.... I was hoping not to have to do anything too elaborate...

Room Property Furniture Floor Building

1 - 20 of 44 Posts