Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to create a projection screen that will be elevated up in the air. Maybe up to 8 to 10 feet. I want at least one of my apparitions to be floating above the ground. Last year, I used PVC pipe to project my apparitions at ground level. No higher than 4 1/2 feet. The wind took this down if it was blowing faster than 12 mph. I know the right color for the screen. Bridal mesh 931 Grey. I'm needing something stronger than PVC piping that won't blow over. The base I constructed went out to 10 ft x 8 ft. Even weighted down it would bend totally over or break at times.

Would I need to use wood or metal and paint that black? What is the best way of mounting the mesh onto the structure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could you possibly mount the mesh between two buildings? The homes in our neighborhood are really close together with old school driveways between making it an option if you have a cool neighbor.

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
how about conduit?

it's cheap and strong ... i use a bunch that i tie to trees with fishing line & hang props off of ... i paint it flat black so it's not as visible in the dark ... 1/2" is what i use ...

they also make 90 degree parts that you can use for the corners that screw to the conduit pipe

i'm not certain how long my stuff is, but it's 10' or maybe 12' i think

i'm uncertain what the best way to attach the fabric to the conduit though :-( maybe clamps that photographers use to attach backdrops to their frame would work

you can also use furring strips to make a wooden frame and staple the fabric to it ... depending on the wind and the fabric, you may have to add a 2nd furring strip on the back ... the fabric would be sandwitched between the 2 furring strips and you could also glue the furring strips together

for a rear projection screen i stapled a walmart shower curtain liner to furring strips and used 2 conduit pipes that were pounded in the ground on either side of the screen ... i used a u shaped thingy that screwed to the top of the wooden screen and the other end of the u just slipped into end of the conduit and drilled a hole in the bottom of the screen and used fishing line to tie it to the conduit

although i'm uncertain how to get a screen that is up 10' above the ground

amk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I second the conduit but I would go with 1" for the strength. Standard length for conduit is 10' and for stronger fittings look for the one used in canopy tarps. I believe they use bungee balls to attach tarps to conduit but you could adapt to mount your screen.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
If wind is a concern you might want to consider using cheesecloth? It can be dyed whatever color is preferable. Just a thought...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I use metal conduit pipe as it is less flexible than PVC. And relatively cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's an old post but I've done this a few times. One time I hung the screen over my fence about 10 feet in the air. I used two 2x2 pieces of lumber and put screw eyes at the top of each one. I attached string to each side of my screen material (i.e. hollusion fabric, chiffon, mesh... stretch material works best). I attached each 2x2 to the fence with wood screws. It basically operates like a curtain - - pull the string to raise the screen. I've done the same thing using trees, the side of my house, etc... just get creative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts