Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day while I was driving down the road and the idea for a new prop hit me that I think could be interesting.

I have already been working on the design for a Gatekeeper/Reaper to stand by the entrance of my cemetery. So far I think i have decided on something similar to one of the below designs, probably with Monster Mud or a similar cloth/painted structure.

Outerwear Hood Sleeve Statue Costume

Darkness Skull Bone Ice Fiction

So, now i have the idea to incorporate projection effects into the design of he reaper. I think it would be very cool to hide a small projector inside of the lantern and project back onto the face of the character. If I figure out a way to turn the inner hood into a project-able surface, I could the projection map different faces and effects onto the character.

I'm aware of the obvious challenges, the biggest one will be to find a projector that is small enough to conceal and yet able to work within the short throw and small size constraints.

I would love to hear any input you guys may have on the subject, or any references that may be relevant.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Well a pico projector should fit in the lantern base, and the short throw may not be an issue because you don't need a big image. Resizing the video so that the short throw produces a lifesize facial image may be the challenge but considering your line of work, it might be easy.

·
black light queen
2,639 Posts
i'm thinking that having a projector down in the body projecting up and reflecting off a mirror and onto a shower curtain liner might work ... ???

it'd be even better if the shower curtain liner could be formed into a 3d face shape ... not sure how that could be accomplished ... maybe another material could be formed into a face and still act as a rear projection material ??? hopefully someone has some ideas?

amk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Love the idea! Very fresh and innovative. Better copyright it before it gets mass produced haha.

You probably could run the cords up the sleeve which would help hide them.

on another note, Did you think of rear projection onto the face? You would need a short throw pico type projector, but that would stop people from seeing the projected light source coming off of the lamp. You also wouldn't have to worry about the lamp washing out or competing with your projected image on the face.

if you used a circular piece of white shower curtain type of material as the face it would probably work .. looking at the first guy ..he is so big that you could make his head / body deep enough to hide the projector and have enough throw space..just another thought to hack around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, Thanks for for the encouragement guys! There's a lot of really cool new tech out there that is changing the way we haunt all of the time. But I believe that if we can take this tech, such as projectors and fuse them with old school effects and create a whole new generation of awesome haunts!

Anyway,

I've looked a lot and not found anything else like it so yeah this is going to be a lot of trial and error. I know the hardest part will probably be the actual video source, but honestly i may just film it in my studio. (Perks of being a photographer).

I like the idea of putting the projector inside the body, just in case the reaper gets put next to the fog machine. I would hate to ruin the effect with a bunch of light bleed. I was already thinking of using a 3D face form under the hood to help create a more realistic effect. Maybe this is a similar concept to the Atmos 3DFX Form but idk for sure.

If i was to hide the protector inside of the body I may be able to shape a translucent plastic form to act as a concave projection surface, but this may actually pose to be more difficult than using a flat screen. Unfortunately i have a talent for making things far more difficult than they need to be.

What are your guys' responses to the Pico size projectors. I have never used a projector this small for any of my effects.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Hmmm, Thanks for for the encouragement guys! There's a lot of really cool new tech out there that is changing the way we haunt all of the time. But I believe that if we can take this tech, such as projectors and fuse them with old school effects and create a whole new generation of awesome haunts!

Anyway,

I've looked a lot and not found anything else like it so yeah this is going to be a lot of trial and error. I know the hardest part will probably be the actual video source, but honestly i may just film it in my studio. (Perks of being a photographer).

I like the idea of putting the projector inside the body, just in case the reaper gets put next to the fog machine. I would hate to ruin the effect with a bunch of light bleed. I was already thinking of using a 3D face form under the hood to help create a more realistic effect. Maybe this is a similar concept to the Atmos 3DFX Form but idk for sure.

If i was to hide the protector inside of the body I may be able to shape a translucent plastic form to act as a concave projection surface, but this may actually pose to be more difficult than using a flat screen. Unfortunately i have a talent for making things far more difficult than they need to be.

What are your guys' responses to the Pico size projectors. I have never used a projector this small for any of my effects.
I think picos are great! I own three myself. I like the aaxa picos and optoma. One of my aaxa models might work well for something like this. It stands up instead of laying flat. I think it's a couple years old now but the design might be easier to use in this instance.
Found a picture of one.
Electronic device Technology Finger Gadget Hand

·
Registered
683 Posts
Your concept of the multi-faced reaper sounds similar to my leota concept I made for this years haunt

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/145215-my-dinner-leota.html

I was fortunate enough to have a leota image big enough from the projected distance to fill the face easily. Pico projectors do not have a zoom feature, so the image has to be scaled digitally if the distance from where you place the pico (in the lantern) to the face image. And yes you can project onto black without much problem. The image will be duller (its a black screen you're projecting on) but still quite useful.

to have a multi image sequence, a media program (like movie maker) should work well with jpg images. A fade in fade addition to each image out will work well.

victor

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input Vic. That video is just what i was looking for! I use a lot of these Styrofoam heads so this is the basic plan that i had in mind. Now i just need to settle on a projector, and start trying things out. Unfortunately i'm away on business until the end of the month. guess i have plenty of time to research projectors. lol

·
Registered
683 Posts
The pro version of the chickenprops ghoul and the earlier Sybil utilize a vacuum-formed plexi face with a pico projector placed inside on the baclk of the head. The plexi is admittedly not thick enough so you can see the shine of the projector beam coming through at certain angles. I'm fairly sure the Disney Madame Leota works on a similar prinicple.

The challenge of your setup is the use of different faces to project. The most important priority in doing this is to make sure all the heads are the same size when imaged by the projector.

Projectors are cheap nowadays. Under $100 will get you a those Chinese no-name projectors the size of a hardcover book (if not smaller). Slightly over $100 will land you pico projectors the size of a smart phone. Both have inboard slots for a micro sdhc drive so loading your files won't be a problem and they all have built in media players to handle all the filetypes used today.

Victor

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure which angle you you are referring to zero. But with the right surface and the proper video mapping technique, very few angles are impossible to achieve with a decent projector.

As well, the beautiful thing about most Halloween effects is that less than perfect can sometimes just add to the effect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts