Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Saw some vids in the past and was curious what you're feelings are towards homes that use a projection on their entire house, usually synced to music, versus those of us that set up props, lights, fog machines, audio to props, etc?

I see there are two types of projections on homes. Those that just play some videos to music, and those that actually position video elements on windows, doors, etc. One guy in our neighborhood had things synced up and in position, made it look like his garage door opened, as well as at the end the house shattered into little pieces. Looked pretty cool.

On the other hand, the problem I have..or should I say, why I dislike projection compared to actually setting up props and such, is the scare element. I love the fog machines, lights, grave stones, props, etc while still having some music like for example the projected pumpkins that sing, and other small specific projections, like pepper ghost effects.

So curious what some of your opinions are?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I actually do both. Full house projection, some mapped out segments, with props around. Props in front of my house (out of projector light path) and on side between my driveway and my neighbors. It's a big hit for anyone that sees it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi,
Yes and no..
I personally think that the dancing animation/ music sync work better for Christmas (just my opinion.. I am from the old school and believe that Halloween
should be all atmosphere..like walking through a centuries old cemetery at midnight with only a small lantern by your side..I don't need my gargoyles singing a Taylor Swift pop song). But hey, it is only one guys opinion..

That being said.. I did my first projection this year and have realized that the 2 can coexist rather nicely.
Giving credit were it is due:
Icepick has some amazing tutorials on how he has used projection mapping with amazing results! I used the tutorials to get a decent map of my house ( I am far from artistic). I hope that one day I can attempt to come close to what he is doing with animation and video. Please look at his stuff and get inspired.

For more of an atmosphere / effect,
There is another post by Haunted Neurons where he projected an old weathered facade onto his house that really struck a nerve with me and made me see how the two can coexist:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/132788-projected-facade-old-weathered-house.html

I have a cemetery with many of the gravestones found here in the how to's: Bleeding gravestone, breathing grave, celtic cross, obelisk etc.
I wanted an old victorian castle in the background. Luckily, my house is a light color, so projecting old dark stones/gargoyles etc worked out great.

It went from this :
View attachment 230507
to this :
View attachment 230508
Amateur attempt, but it worked.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi,
Yes and no..
I personally think that the dancing animation/ music sync work better for Christmas (just my opinion.. I am from the old school and believe that Halloween
should be all atmosphere..like walking through a centuries old cemetery at midnight with only a small lantern by your side..I don't need my gargoyles singing a Taylor Swift pop song). But hey, it is only one guys opinion..

That being said.. I did my first projection this year and have realized that the 2 can coexist rather nicely.
Giving credit were it is due:
Icepick has some amazing tutorials on how he has used projection mapping with amazing results! I used the tutorials to get a decent map of my house ( I am far from artistic). I hope that one day I can attempt to come close to what he is doing with animation and video. Please look at his stuff and get inspired.

For more of an atmosphere / effect,
There is another post by Haunted Neurons where he projected an old weathered facade onto his house that really struck a nerve with me and made me see how the two can coexist:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/132788-projected-facade-old-weathered-house.html

I have a cemetery with many of the gravestones found here in the how to's: Bleeding gravestone, breathing grave, celtic cross, obelisk etc.
I wanted an old victorian castle in the background. Luckily, my house is a light color, so projecting old dark stones/gargoyles etc worked out great.

It went from this :
View attachment 230507
to this :
View attachment 230508
Amateur attempt, but it worked.
Thank you spiney99, and I'm glad the tutorials, although rough, were of help. Haunted neurons actually came by to check out one of my christmas videos last year, but he got a lack luster performance as my bulb was fading fast. Btw, your attachments aren't working.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Projections aren't my thing either. I have two huge trees in front of my house, so I don't really have any options. I do have a lightorama because I like the lights. I don't do "pop" music though...You'll never see Gangnam Style or Party Rock at my place.I've got Thriller, the Halloween theme, Enter Sandman, and Bodies that I programed,. I don't just throw lights on the trees and house either, I build props to put the lights on and built my own kickass pumpkin face for the singing. I have a lot of respect for the people who do their own whole house projections and the pop songs on the lightorama because I know the amount of work that goes into putting those things together...I like the singing pumpkins but won't do them until I have time to create them. I won't buy somebodies else's work, even though it may be far better than anything I could do because I think that would be cheating.

I think you can have both the lightshows/projections and the atmosphere. While my cemetery didn't have a single tombstone in it, my horse and carriage, Badass(my creep) and my new horses all brought something to the table exclusive of the lightshow. One thing I noticed this year though is that I need more prop specific lighting and may actually have nights next year where I don't run the lightshow, so that I can light the yard/props differently

You shouldn't have to look at it as an either or...I still put far more effort in to building props than programming the lightorama, I also have a walkthru where you can't hear the lightshow, that I had Midnight Syndicate playing in for atmosphere.

If you are having fun with it, then by all means do it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
well I use some light to music athough its all Halloween based and it's not just lights to be lights, I have put them in my skull panels on my fence in the eyes,
and to emulate my tree's, and this year behind the boarded up windows athoght that didn't work as I had hoped need bright led strips I found for Christmas I
think. but I mainly rely on my props/ as far a purchasing especly digital type stuff some of us have too not that smart to make are own

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Strictly personal... I don't care for it.
Actually, talking busts or singing pumpkins, thosearecool. But a huge, overpowering projection on a house. Not my cup of brew...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I do both. I project my Hallowindow DVDs onto a window (and crack the window open so you can hear the sounds/music from my driveway) but I also put a respectable amount of props and lights in the yard. This is the first year I did fog as well. I'll probably do the same thing next year except add a few more lights and some more tombstones and an extra prop or two.

What I don't care for is houses that are completely strung with lights like it's Christmas and synced to music. Don't find it appealing, and it's definitely not scary. Don't like it for Christmas, either. It's kinda neat to look at, but I'd never do it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am not sure why my attachments didn't work.. Here is a real rough youtube that I slapped together. I also have Light O Rama that I use for lightning (Tricky because you have to make sure that the floodlights don't wash out the projection) and also to run the bleeding grave (to stop the flow and let it dry somewhat..I usually run 10 seconds on and 5 off cycles). Hope you like it
http://youtu.be/sYCfvvCmYgk

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I am not sure why my attachments didn't work.. Here is a real rough youtube that I slapped together. I also have Light O Rama that I use for lightning (Tricky because you have to make sure that the floodlights don't wash out the projection) and also to run the bleeding grave (to stop the flow and let it dry somewhat..I usually run 10 seconds on and 5 off cycles). Hope you like it
I think you have to have "X" number of posts before you can add attachments, I don't remember how many "X" is though.

Great video though

·
Registered
575 Posts
Badass! I dig the projector stuff.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks! I need to post more and read less I guess haha. I agree with you about the LOR . My brother has a 64 channel LOR Christmas show that takes hours to create.. I only have an 8 channel lightning program that I use. Maybe one day when they give us 26 hours in a day so I can have the extra time can I attempt to dig in and learn the LOR software… I also want to try to learn animations on the projection software (Have the gargoyles growl or reposition their wings etc)..

·
Registered
606 Posts
BRAVO, SPINEY99!!! I saw small pictures on another thread you posted to, and I wanted to see more. Your house looks so creepy with the projection! I would love to learn how to do map projecting. The Bates Haunt is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks very much! I was hoping for creepy :D

I got the idea here: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/132788-projected-facade-old-weathered-house.html

Here is the first part from Ice pick: http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/133936-projection-mapping-tutorial.html

Basically I am taking a photoshop drawing and projecting it on to the house.. Hopefully I can learn animation/video masking and layers by next year !

I will look into Bates Haunt, Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm a huge fan of inside projections onto windows. They're a real traffic stopper during the run up to Halloween and they're much easier than dealing with crank ghosts. I like keeping to props outside.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is more the direction I'll be going starting next year. Going to use projection for transformation. I may still have a few "skits", but that will depend on what I'm able to pull off. Keep up the good work!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts